What Not To Do To Your Hair - TV IDEA

ebonylocs

This is a spin-off the "Tyra Thread".

How do we spread the healthy hair message to the masses, (without necessarily putting LHCF out there)

I was thinking of hair makeover show on BET or something like that. Kind of like "What Not To Wear", but instead people secretly nominate their relatives / friends with jacked-up hair (or maybe that would be too mean ). :look:

And then you'd have a team of hair divas (e.g. Macherie, Sistaslick, etc) who would take that person, give them some treatments, help them formulate a regimen, etc. Every episode could have a light, brief scientific lesson - about protein / moisture, ph, porosity, relaxers, growth cycle, product ingredients, etc.

Of course, given that it takes some time to turn hair around, the different parts of the same episode would have to be shot at least say three months apart. So in one episode you'd have the three month before and after. And then, in later episodes you could check in on people 6 months later, a year later, even a couple of years later - depending on how long the show ran.

The show could have it's own website, with in-depth info about hair care but leave off stuff that some people would find too ... strange (for whatever reason.:rolleyes:) No mention of LHCF necessary.

So what do y'all think? Would it be too much hanging out of BW's "dirty laundry"? WOuld it be effective / popular? Who do you see hosting? Would *you* personally be willing to put your hair and your knowledge out there to front something like this?

JustKiya

That actually sounds like a really good idea - but I don't think it would work because of the VERY long lead time. I mean, in order to show some really dramatic results, we're talking at LEAST a year (and that's assuming that the nominees have actually kept up with what they have been taught and haven't backslid), and - well, it would need to be sponsored by someone with a whole lot of independant money, is all I'm saying.

Jynkx

This is a spin-off the "Tyra Thread".

How do we spread the healthy hair message to the masses, (without necessarily putting LHCF out there)

I was thinking of hair makeover show on BET or something like that. Kind of like "What Not To Wear", but instead people secretly nominate their relatives / friends with jacked-up hair (or maybe that would be too mean ). :look:

And then you'd have a team of hair divas (e.g. Macherie, Sistaslick, etc) who would take that person, give them some treatments, help them formulate a regimen, etc. Every episode could have a light, brief scientific lesson - about protein / moisture, ph, porosity, relaxers, growth cycle, product ingredients, etc.

Of course, given that it takes some time to turn hair around, the different parts of the same episode would have to be shot at least say three months apart. So in one episode you'd have the three month before and after. And then, in later episodes you could check in on people 6 months later, a year later, even a couple of years later - depending on how long the show ran.

The show could have it's own website, with in-depth info about hair care but leave off stuff that some people would find too ... strange (for whatever reason.:rolleyes:) No mention of LHCF necessary.

So what do y'all think? Would it be too much hanging out of BW's "dirty laundry"? WOuld it be effective / popular? Who do you see hosting? Would *you* personally be willing to put your hair and your knowledge out there to front something like this?

not a bad idea. im dying @ the bolded though :lachen:. i could just see it....:lachen:

shocol

That actually sounds like a really good idea - but I don't think it would work because of the VERY long lead time. I mean, in order to show some really dramatic results, we're talking at LEAST a year (and that's assuming that the nominees have actually kept up with what they have been taught and haven't backslid), and - well, it would need to be sponsored by someone with a whole lot of independant money, is all I'm saying.

I agree, it's a good idea, but IDK about the television format. The less you have to deal with sponsors/advertisers the better. A lot of what's said here is not going to fly with companies looking for a return on their money.

I liked the LHCF Youtube idea even better. Have a LHCF channel, sort of like the music companies or the BBC, where LHCFers upload their videos.

Energist

You have a brilliant idea ebony. I think that the show would be really successful. You should write out the show idea plan in depth, copywright it and then talk to some of the producers at BET. You'll probably want to get a creative group together to think of what the show can cover for atleast 1 seasons worth.

Energist

I agree, she is going to need to get subjects to work on long term so that there are some success stories to show. I know that people will want to see documented progress, because no one is going to believe hair growth or hair disaster restoration over night. In one episode producers would want the before/after already taken care of so that they can air it, and then go into the process of what made it so successful.

DivaD04

hey as long as the show is an hour...i'll watch it, shoot i'll buy the season. but as long as, ah wait wait, you already said the magical key words...b.e.t. that's all that needs to be said, yes, i wish someone one hurry up with this show cuz ya all know this show would get some serious ratings.

DozenRoses99

I think that this is a great idea! I agree that the time span will be long for most of the hair makeovers. However, there could be some short term hair makeover results by showing how differently/healthy the hair can look using better products and techniques. For example, on a natural person who is having problems with dryness and non-defined curls, you could show how much a difference co-washing makes and show how gels or other products can make the curls more defined. Also, for relaxed hair, you could show how macherie's rollersetting technique could make a persons hair look fabulous and healthy at the same time.

carib_n_curly

great idea and it solve the whole "tyra" problem it would save so many people from chemical burn,breaking hair, no growth and dispel the myth that black hair can't grow and BET would be a good place to show it would reach so many people

macherieamour

So funny you should mention this- ive actually been working on something similar to this for a while - it would be more web based and I need a whole lot more money:drunk: I do think web is better because you can reach more people in diff companies and people can link the site and watch when they want - instead of waiting for reruns, etc.

JustKiya

I agree, it's a good idea, but IDK about the television format. The less you have to deal with sponsors/advertisers the better. A lot of what's said here is not going to fly with companies looking for a return on their money.

I liked the LHCF Youtube idea even better. Have a LHCF channel, sort of like the music companies or the BBC, where LHCFers upload their videos.

:yep: That's VERY true - a lot of what we say (and use here) are TOTALLY not who BET's (or any 'black focused channel') advertisers are, and no matter how good an idea is, the station is NOT going to buck their money stream.

Doing it online would be a really good idea - much more independent.

carib_n_curly

:yep: That's VERY true - a lot of what we say (and use here) are TOTALLY not who BET's (or any 'black focused channel') advertisers are, and no matter how good an idea is, the station is NOT going to buck their money stream.

Doing it online would be a really good idea - much more independent.

hmm yeah it would

latingirly020488

Also .. Because the filming is long and they need some before and after pictures .. maybe ofcourse with the permission of members of the forum you could ask and see if any of us could let you use our beginning pictures and our afters, just to show viewers the affect of healthy hair care basically to you use it as an example of what the project is about .. you know what i mean .. yay or nay ? lol .. I honestly wouldnt have a problem contributing my pictures. So if anything let me know! this sounds like fun.

ebonylocs

not a bad idea. im dying @ the bolded though :lachen:. i could just see it....:lachen:
Couldn't you just? :drunk: Maybe add PinkSkates, Traycee and then Sonce / Sera to the mix for the fro. And when they introduce them each episode, you see them striding towards camera all glammed up yet power suited, with hair flowing and bouncing, like Charlies Angels or something.

Almaz

I thought about this when I first came to this forum long ago as a lurker. I was like HEY these ladies REALLY know what they are talking about. Wonderful Idea you have. But I wonder because a lot of Black women will get insulted because some think THEY KNOW what to do with their hair even though it is busted and only has one strand like Charlie Brown.

delitefulmane

Couldn't you just? :drunk: Maybe add PinkSkates, Traycee and then Sonce / Sera to the mix for the fro. And when they introduce them each episode, you see them striding towards camera all glammed up yet power suited, with hair flowing and bouncing, like Charlies Angels or something.

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen: THats funny!! But I could picture this!!

Also to give it more substance since the make overs require months progression, some of the experts on here could be taped going to schools and talkin to younger girls about caring for "black" hair! Helping them relieve that Black hair is beautiful!! Even colleges!! I know plenty of girls at my school who could use some help!!

Last edited:

LongiLox

I think this is an awesome idea! It could work, especially when you do it from the approach of having a hair makeover, rather than teaching healthy hair practices (which usually makes people run the other way). The viewers will think they're watching to watch some jacked up hair, but will be taking away valuable information at the same time. It could work.

Pandora1975

Ack! I just had this idea like 2 days ago and thought I was original. Even posted in another thread. I'm sorry!

Obviously I love the idea.