What Products & Tools Can / Did You Take with You Abroad?

BlackMasterPiece

I'm studying abroad in this summer and I wanted to know what hair products and appliances/tools can I take without them confiscating it from me? lol

Thanks so much for your help ladies!

sharifeh

Well if you take full-sized bottles of shampoo and conditioner, then just put them in your bag you are going to check and not your carry-on. Don't put products in your carry-on
As for tools, you should be fine with those, I don't see what the problem would be. But I would probably check those too just to be safe.

Trini_Chutney

Peeing in my shower
Moving to Spain in 3 weeks. I don't know what I "can" take with me, but I'm trying to take damn near everything!!:lachen::lachen:

For real though I got a list from our movers and they had "no restrictions" under cosmetics so I'm going to tape the tops of everything liquid and see what I can get away with. I plan to mail whatever the movers will not take to myself (of course all my hard to replace goodies are going in my luggage!). I'll let you know how it goes :spinning:

Oh, if you plan to take any heat appliances make sure you verify how many cycles the electricity is where your going/ what the voltage is. You may need a converter.

The items are for your personal use so I don't think you should have a problem.

Last edited:

LushLox

I'll be going to Jamaica in the summer and I will be taking shampoo, conditioner, travel dryer and rollers. Yeah it's that serious! :lachen:

LovelyLouboutin

It depends on where you are studying abroad. I studied abroad in South Africa and didn't really need to take a lot of products (granted they did not have everything I used but they did have black people products). Now, my extended stay in Japan...not so much.

I would be very careful what tool you bring. I took my curling iron to South Africa and burned a chunk of my hair off. Something with the voltage I guess.

If you have enough room in your suitcase just take whatever you use at home.

BlackMasterPiece

^ I will be going to Italy.

I'm gonna bring my staples...I hope all my products/appliances are okay to bring:ohwell:

I'm def gonna invest in a converter.

julzinha

You ladies are sooooo Lucky to be getting to go abroad. I've been trying to do that since the ninth grade (freshman in college now), but a mixture of parents who are not supportive of it and the expenses make it difficult. HAVE FUN LADIES!!!

P.S. BEWARE OF CUSTOMS! They confiscate whatever they want!

classychic1908

I would be very careful what tool you bring. I took my curling iron to South Africa and burned a chunk of my hair off. Something with the voltage I guess.
I did the same thing in Italy! I even used a converter, I guess I didn't check to make sure it was on the correct voltage or something.:wallbash:

Please remember to always double check the converter on your appliances. :yep:

cutiebe2

If you are going to be in Spain/Italy for an extended period of time I would recommend buying certain appliances there or bringing a cheap one

Even though I brought a converted some people (including me) had trouble with the appliances. They overheated. I remember my blowdryer being fine but I was too worried about my straightener frying to use it

Taina

When i moved here i bring my blow dryer and my flat iron (this one got broken in my carry-on, i dont even know how) and i bring shampoos and conditioner.
My friends came to visit me in november, and they bring me Emergencia, silcion Mix, 10 en 1 ... etc that i asked them to bring me.

And when i was working in AA (2007 - 2009) the regulations said that you can have a limited amt of liquids in your bag, i believe it was up to 10 bottles, no flamable stuff either. You will have to put all these liquids items in your bag but not in the carry on as the security guys will take every liquid/cream/suspicios thing out of your carry on, and they will throw them away, if by any chance you forgot to put them in your bag.

Congrats and have fun in your trip =)

Ballerina_Bun

^ I will be going to Italy.

I'm gonna bring my staples...I hope all my products/appliances are okay to bring:ohwell:

I'm def gonna invest in a converter.

Nothing should be confiscated, especially if you pack in your checked bags. I've taken everything under the sun and more (legal stuff) and I've never had a problem. Take what you want and don’t worry about it. You could also the mail the stuff ahead of time, if that is an option.

For the moment, I am not in the states. I had a relaxer packed, appliances (hair), shampoo, conditioner, serum … etc. I didn’t bring much, because I can get my staples here. I wish I had my caruso steam rollers, because my curling iron broke into pieces.

If you can, buy dual voltage hair appliances. Otherwise, with some things you may need a step up/down transformer if you don’t want to ruin the motor on your appliance. Or, just buy something where you will be.