• Combinations (please explain)

Votes: 85 31.8%
  • Other

Votes: 52 19.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SimplyBlessed

Hey Ladies:

So i'm still a little new around here and I hear soooo much debate about what really contributes to hair growth. So i'm wondering what does the trick? Is it moisture, growth aids, vitamins, diet, oils, TELL ME LADIES WHAT IS MAKING YOUR HAIR GROW??

Thanks for your responses!!

PAPRIKA

its really not about fast growth but retaining growth/eliminating breakage. ditto on the previous responces. also having good moisture/protein ratio

Girl....I wish there was a magical vitamin that gives all of us mucho growth, but there's not, and probably won't be one.....just being patience and taking care of yourself in general....you really have to retain your length, the growth will always come, it's about retaining what you already have......Girl everytime I surf the net I always look for a magical growth oil....but I know one doesn't exist.....I'm learning to have patience and I try to set realistic goals so if I don't achieve them, I won't be so upset.......Good things come to those who wait.....

PearlyCurly

I guess i could say Moisture because w/o it my hair would be bone dry:lachen: My hair grows anyway, My hair was near APL when i only washing it every 6mths, greased it every time i saw a flake, and never deep condition it..but the thing is it would only stay at APL:lachen:

But then again i think you should put HAIR FORUMS in the poll because WITHOUT hair forums my hair would not be what it is. I dont even know if i would have hair on my head:lachen:

Last edited:

mariofmagdal

Moisture, frequent washes. Low manipulation, protective styling. Basically keeping it simple. Good product choices. A good diet.

Last edited:

mstar

Luxury bacon
I stalk Fotkis, and one thing I've noticed is that the women whose hair I admire all have one thing in common: they wash frequently (2-3 times a week; either co-wash or shampoo), and deep condition after each wash.

Now that I'm wearing kinky twists, I'm gonna start doing that too, and I hope to see some good growth. The other thing I've learned from stalking is that the women with nice hair moisturize and seal religiously, every day...they really treat their ends like a newborn baby.

*Muffin*

I feel like it's not what makes my hair grow, but what RETAINS it. And for me, that's babying my ends.

I agree. It's not just about growth. It's about retention, or maintaining all of the hair you grow. If we are healthy people (as in without a medical issue or condition that would cause our hair not to grow) our hair will grow regardless. Here's some tips I've learned over the years that help with hair growth.

Not over-cleansing your hair-There's a lot of opinions as to how often one should shampoo or not, or whether you should shampoo at all, but it seems to be unanimous that shampooing too much is detrimental. Some people choose to only shampoo their hair once per week or longer, others pre-poo their hair with conditioner or oil before they shampoo to prevent overdrying. You could also try co-washing in between shampoos (washing your hair with conditioner) which allows you to wash your hair without over-drying it and also gives softness.

Use Conditioner-Conditioner replenishes moisture and helps smooth the cuticle after you cleanse your hair.

Pay attention to protein/moisture balance of hair- You can do this by doing what is called a strand test. After grooming your hair find a shed strand and pull on it. Hair that has just the right amount of elasticity (moisture) and strength (protein) will stretch for a while when you pull on it slowly, and then make a slight snapping sound, or show signs of resistance, when it breaks. Hair that needs moisture or contains too much protein won't stretch at all and may make a snapping sound when it breaks or feel rough. Hair that needs protein may break easily, feel "mushy", and not show any signs of resistance before breaking. There are protein based conditioners/deep conditioners (may also be called reconstructors) that are designed to deal with weak and brittle hair, and there are also moisturizing conditioners/deep conditioners that are designed to deal with dry hair.

Don't over-stress your strands- Remember: Whatever you take away from your hair, you must give back to it. Doing excessive heat styling, relaxing, dying, grooming etc...can damage hair, causing breakage and lost length.

There are probably many other rules that people swear by (such as moisturizing, oiling, protective styling, trimming, etc), but these are just some that I think most follow that I would like to share :). There's a lot of lee way when it comes to achieving and maintaining healthy hair. Don't be afraid to experiment with different routines and products to find which ones work best for you.

Last edited:

BrooklynSouth

I think keeping my hair covered most times, deep conditioning, daily moisturizing, oil sealing, minimal combing, sleeping on a satin pillowcase with a silk head scarf.

msa

Well, hair grows regardless (unless you have some sort of health issue). I think when you are at your optimal health as far as a balanced diet, exercise, adequate sleep, then you'll have optimal growth because your body will be functioning better.

Everything else is retention. Growth aids aren't part of the equation for me because I don't believe they work.

Samchat123

The longest and fastest my hair has ever grown was when I was pregnant 13 years ago. I'm a 4c type and I managed to get just below SL. I have been pregnant 4 times, but this was the only time I got my hair to this length. During this pregnancy I suffered morning sickness and was instructed by my Doctor to eat eggs. She told me that morning sickness was a sign that my body needed protein, and so I ate LOTS of eggs. I believe that a good diet is key to good healthy hair growth.

sharifeh

my hair grows like crazy (thank god)
after 6 weeks i have so much ng
for me it's all retention,
i have super fast growth but i suffer breakage
whenever i do a dramatic hair cut like chin length my hair is back to apl when i blink!!
but apl, i cant get past (except when i was a kid)
i think its because when my hair is touching my shoulders the ends break a lot
you have to know what your problem is

does your hair grow too slow or do you need help with retention?

if your hair does not grow, then it's probably diet and vitamin deficiency

if its retention, well i haven't got it figured out yet....i'm a newbie

SimplyBlessed

my hair grows like crazy (thank god)
after 6 weeks i have so much ng
for me it's all retention,
i have super fast growth but i suffer breakage
whenever i do a dramatic hair cut like chin length my hair is back to apl when i blink!!
but apl, i cant get past (except when i was a kid)
i think its because when my hair is touching my shoulders the ends break a lot
you have to know what your problem is

does your hair grow too slow or do you need help with retention?

if your hair does not grow, then it's probably diet and vitamin deficiency

if its retention, well i haven't got it figured out yet....i'm a newbie

My hair is growing...just wondering what contributes to other people's growth...i'm sure we all would love to get the greatest growth possible...

So far I am noticing that PATIENCE IS KEY I think without it u really do get frustrated :wallbash:...so far so good ladies...I see also RETENTION is very important...so babying the ends is really important to most people and I guess that includes protective styles and moisture...

I still want to hear more of your methods and what has helped u...success is always great to hear about :grin:

Liege4421

IMO, there is a difference between what causes hair to grow faster and what helps retention. IMO, conditioning and moisturizing hair doesn't cause the hair to grow faster, because hair grows from the scalp. However, retention is important if you want to see the fruits of your growth, which is why both really go hand in hand.

I don't think anything can help hair growth more than a healthy diet high in lean protein, frequent exercise, and ensuring the body is getting the essential minerals and vitamins through one healthy multi-vitamin. Diet and exercise are so important for optimal growth because exercise increases the internal temperature and stimulates the scalp, both of which encourage faster growth. Hair is made of protein and if the body does not have enough protein for the primary muscles of the body, the hair will suffer, as well. IMO, all the other growth aids (Megatek, OCT, biotin tablets) just expensively supplement what can be achieved for free with a healthy diet, a good multi-, and exercising four to five times a week.

moonglowdiva

What has made my hair grow is the fact that when I don't bother it, it grows long. Lesson learn: If you comb your hair constantly then you will be bald.

Mars_Reiko

I think growth is obtained through a combination of moisture and growth aids. In my case, I got some noticeable growth from bi-weekly washes (airdrying) and lenzi's request :)

SimplyBlessed

I don't think anything can help hair growth more than a healthy diet high in lean protein, frequent exercise, and ensuring the body is getting the essential minerals and vitamins through one healthy multi-vitamin. Diet and exercise are so important for optimal growth because exercise increases the internal temperature and stimulates the scalp, both of which encourage faster growth. Hair is made of protein and if the body does not have enough protein for the primary muscles of the body, the hair will suffer, as well. IMO, all the other growth aids (Megatek, OCT, biotin tablets) just expensively supplement what can be achieved for free with a healthy diet, a good multi-, and exercising four to five times a week.

I heard that!! :notworthy lol u are sooo right and I think also simple is best...I need 2 step it up on the exercise thing, but I can say when I was in highschool (1st 2 yrs) and middle school and I was a 3 sport athlete and always had my hair in braids and in a bun (leaving it the hell alone lol) ...my hair did thrive...but curiousity and straight hair sew ins killed it....

2inspireU

Honestly, it is just simply technique or how you handle your hair. You can use dirt cheap products without using a growth aid or supplements and get crazy long hair. If you protective style your, use minimal to no combing, brushing, and heat, leave your hair alone(low manipulation), use no sulfate shampoos, then your hair will grow like a weed.

*Michelle*

IMO, there is a difference between what causes hair to grow faster and what helps retention. IMO, conditioning and moisturizing hair doesn't cause the hair to grow faster, because hair grows from the scalp. However, retention is important if you want to see the fruits of your growth, which is why both really go hand in hand.

What she said!:yep: