what should I do- long

luvhair

Beauty and Fashion Junkie
Let me start of by stating that I have 4 a/b hair but its soft and has extremely curly sections

I went to the salon this weekend with my all natural hair intending to either get a wave nouveau type of perm or to get my hair texturizer. I have been going to this stylist for about 3 months discussing what I want and showing her pictures of the hair style i want. She agreed several times that my hair could achieve the curl pattern that I was looking for. For the last 3 months I have been deep conditioning my hair and not putting it in braids to prep it for this new chemical change.

I get to the salon and she proceeds to ask me what I want-- I say-"remember all those pictures I showed you" she says yes and proceeds to get relaxer-- so I am assuming that she is going to texturize my hair. Just to make sure I ask her if she is texturizing and she says yes. Once Again I find a pic of the style I want-- she says my hair is short so it won't look exactly like that and I told her I understood I was just using it as a reference for the size of the curls-- she agrees.

I forgot to add that the night before I came I told her my hair was pressed and asked her if she wanted me to rinse it with cool water so my hair will curl up. She said no that wasn't necessary so when I came in my hair looked straight but she said she remembered how curly my hair was. SHe puts the relaxer on my roots as if she is doing a touch up and then makes me sit at her wash station. I ask her-- what about the ends? She looks shocked and says "you're hair is ALL natural?" I'm like yes- I told you that before and you said you remember etc.

so she rinses out the relaxer and puts relaxer on the wet ends of my hair. She says that this will just texturize my ends too. I am a little worried because I have never heard of relaxer being put on wet hair.

She then rinses that out and puts a conditioner on and keeps telling me that my hair is shedding a lot. I have had a shedding problem for about 2 years-- she knows this because I have told her several times and she comments on it all the time-- but that day she kept taking about how I was shedding a lot.

So this is were I start to think that this broad has completely screwed up my hair. She puts me back at her station and drys my hair. My hair completely broke off in the back left quadrant-- i'm talking less than an inch. And my "texturized hair" is bone straight at the roots and completely frizzy at the ends-- like underprocessed hair. I did not want a relaxer and I made that clear to her several times. Now my hair looked completely relaxed-- a bad relax job at that. She then curls my hair with a curling iron and makes my hair into this huge curly afro. I ask her-- I thought that my texturized hair will come out curly. She says no, your hair doesn't have the curl pattern to get hair like that. Ok fine but when I came in and showed her those pics, why didn't she tell me?

And do you know that she had the nerve to charge me full price (110) for this.

Now my hair feels dry and wiry-- completely broken off. And I dont know what to do. I am hesitant to start all over in my natural journey but I do not want relaxed hair. What should I do? My mom also thinks I should go back to her and have her correct it but I don't even want her to look at my hair let alone work on it. So what do you ladies think I should do?

asummertyme

omg!! that is pure crap she told u! she was just tryin to cover up the fact that she screwd up! all that time u were showing her those pics , if she felt u didnt have the curl pattern she could have told u then...i dont like that, i dont know why some stylist do this..if they dont know how to do a cetain style why the hell cant they just say so, or refer u to someone who can...well pull out ur deep conditioners and give ur hair a good protien treatment..see what happens after u wash and deep conditon..
im really sorry this happned to u..

inthepink

I'm sorry, too. I agree with the deep conditioning. See how your hair acts after it has been completely washed. Maybe after that you can make a better decision.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
[ QUOTE ]
that is pure crap she told u! she was just tryin to cover up the fact that she screwd up!

[/ QUOTE ]

ITA! I'm so sorry this happened to you. /images/graemlins/frown.gif I wouldn't have paid her...

Carlie

It really hurts to hear all that you went through with this horrid "stylist." /images/graemlins/nono.gif I'm so sorry this happened to you. I hope you will be able to get passed this and get your hair back on track.

Personally, I would sue. /images/graemlins/look.gif

ms_kenesha

I'm sorry this happened to you. I wish people would just tell the dayum truth. I would NOT go back to her because she's already proved that she doesn't know what the hell she's doing. I would go to another stylist, maybe someone recommended by another LA LHCF member. And I would get a corrective relaxer and a good protein treatment.

I know you said you didn't want your hair relaxed, but it sounds like that's what it is and better to have your hair looking better and in better shape with a relaxer than preserving whatever this woman did to your hair. If you want your natural hair back you're going to have to transition or BC again. I wish you much luck in whatever you decide. /images/graemlins/kiss.gif

Natalie76

I'm sorry this happened to you, but I agree with what some others have said. You will ultimately have to decide to either get a corrective relaxer or go through the BC for all natural hair. We all have set back sometimes. I've had 2 MAJOR ones. The most recent was when I was pregnant, because of some medication that I was taking, my hair went from bra-strap length to neck length in a month. My sides and the back of my hair were completely BALD. It's taken me a year to grow those sections of my hair to shoulder length and now i'm below shoulder length and basically starting all over again. I wish you luck. This also goes to show you that you should listen to yourself. Your instincts were telling you from the start that something wasnt right, but you doubted yourself and deferred to her "expertise". Sometimes YOU are the expert on yourself and your hair. You knew that it was logical to have your hair in it's natural state before going, you knew that it wasnt logical for her to be putting a relaxer on your wet ends. Listen to yourself next time, hon. Be your OWN expert. Go flatten her tires. (just kidding).

Ipanema

I can't believe she charged you full price for such lousy service! Do you have before & after photos? I would complain & try to get my money back because what she did was wrong. It seems like she wasn't even listening to you at all. How long is your hair? Maybe you can grow it out & learn how to do your own perm.

Falon

I'm just adding my sympathy to the list. I am truly sorry this has happened to you. This is why I am so afraid of going to any stylist. I think I am going to cut my own hair.

TBird

Luvhair this sounds like a terrible ordeal. Like earlier comments it sounds like she was trying to cover up her mistake and then had the nerve to charge you. I may would go back and see exactly what she used so that someone with some skill can fix it. I hate you had to go through this. I hope things work out well, please keep us posted.

PretteePlease

#fakeworkouts
i would go back let her know what she already knows SHE BROKE OFF YOUR HAIR, then i would request a full refund. then I would do .......the BIG CHOP. But me being me I would proceed directly to the beauty supply and get a cute short natural type wig.

aqualung

I'm sorry this has happened to you. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Tell her your story over the phone and request a full refund. Forewarn her over the phone and not in person. She'll probably request that you come into the salon so that she can survey the damage for herself. Take someone with you to witness everything. Take pictures of the damaged areas and keep any receipts. You'll need them for the lawsuit when she refuses to pay up.

Aren't there any LHCF recommended stylists in/near LA? I'd go to a better salon and get their opinion regarding what to do next.

Aerie17

I am so sorry this happened to you. I would definitely go back to the salon and show her what has happened to your hair and ask her what she can do to correct it.

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
The ladies have given you excellent advice and I agree with what they have said. I feel so sorry for what you went through. I hope you are able to get your hair back on track.

luvhair

Thank you ladies sooo much

Well I actually went to an LA area lhcf salon. I had been there before and got pretty good service. But this weekend was another story

I figured I would give myself a deep conditioning treatment-- something super moisturizing because right now my hair feels like straw.

I do plan on calling her and finding out what relaxer she put in- lye or no lye and asking her for some portion of my money back- I don't know if I would be able to get all of it back.

I will also get that corrective relaxer and a good trim. And I will start the whole natural journey over again. I'll just transition this relaxed hair out and spend the nect year researching some stylists who know how to do what I'm asking for.

On a side note I just want to send all you ladies who respond a big bear hug. I was really depressed about this- I was so excited to have some texturized hair. I have been having a really bad couple of months and this has just added to it. I knew the only people who could really feel me on this would be you ladies. Thanks a bunch! I will keep you ladies posted on what happens.

Sascha

Stay at home Mommy
OMG!!! This is my nightmare! I am so sorry this happened to you. I wouldn't have paid her a cent. Man..... /images/graemlins/censored.gif

moneychaser

I cant believe she put a relaxer on your wet hair.. WOW I am so sorry that happened to you. Gosh, just baby your hair, whatever you decide to do.
I would definately contact her for a full refund.

BeautyOfTruth

I am so sorry to hear this. What is wrong with her?? You need a refund.

Please take pictures of your damaged hair, for your records, and just in case you have more problems with shedding. Because if that is the case, you may need to pursue this legally. Hopefully you received a receipt with the date of service.

What did she have to say? Did she see the damage she did to your hair? Unbelievable. I think you should show her the damaged she caused, although I am sure you don't ever want to see her again.

With your tender loving care, you hair will thrive again.

Nyambura

surfer girl
Oh luvhair! I so sorry to read this. /images/graemlins/frown.gif I agree with you that you should not go back to that incompetent woman. /images/graemlins/nono.gif

I struggled recently with a situation that sounds quite similar to yours. Turned out my incompetent stylist had dishonestly been applying no-lye to my hair while telling me that it was lye. [sigh] I resorted to my true-blue products: Aubrey Organics GPB conditioner (protein) & Jojoba Aloe conditoner (immediate moisturization). Those two turned my brittle, breaking, desert-dry strands back to (almost) normal. I know not every product works for every one, but I remember reading Jade21's article on Aubrey Organics GPB conditioner, and he apparently created it with chemically-damaged AA hair in mind.

Good luck! ((((hug))))

angelbaby

This is the reason I avoid beauticians now. I have only had two good experiences with a beautician in my lifetime. Problem is the same beauticians can't repeat the good results.
I have had two major setbacks in my lifetime also. The setbacks outweighed the good experiences. I no longer trust beauticians. They just want to get you in and out as fast as possible so they can collect money from the next paying client.

luvhair

I haven't had the time to discuss things with her-- i have been soo swamped at work and she works limited hours, but I hope to tomorrow. And I am going to ask for a full refund

Nyambura-- thanks so much. I was completely at a loss as to what products I should use. I will get some aubrey organics gbp tomorrow and start the process all over again.

once again thank you ladies for all the great support-- btw I will let you guys know what happens tomorrow. wish me luck!

luvhair

carlie- just pulled up in a pony tail. too short and uneven for a real style.

Just wanted to give you ladies an update
I called the stylist and here's pretty much how the conversation went

I told her my hair is still breaking-- she said that my hair was shedding badly when I came in. I told her yes I have had a shedding problem but there is a huge difference between shedding and breaking. And the fact that my hair is less than an inch in the back but not bald shows that my hair was broken off not shedding. She agreed with me. Then she said she has never seen hair do that before. I told her that i have never seen my hir do that either.

Then I told her that i do not believe that it was ok to put relaxer on wet hair. She said she does it all the time-- that didn't make me feel any better.

I then told her that my hair feels dry like straw. She said she agreed

I also pointed out that I asked for a texturizer and she said that she did not think that she left the relaxer in too long but now she thinks that she did leave it in too long. SO that just proved that she gave me some bs about my hair not having the "curl Pattern" for the texture I wanted.

So I then told her I wanted a refund to try and get some other stylist to correct the damage. She said that a stylist cannot get my curly hair back. I told her yeah I know but i need to give my hair some conditioning treatments and I could use the money to take care of my ahir. She said ok. So I GET MY REFUND~!!! I was really happy-- of course this was all brought down when I realize I still have to deal with my messed up hair. But atleast I can use the money to get some Aubrey Organics Gbp and go to a stylist who knows what he/she is doing. Thanks once again for all the advice

Carlie

luvhair, I'm glad things worked out w. the stylist agreeing to give you your money back. Six months from now, hopefully you'll be able to look back on this and laugh! /images/graemlins/smile.gif Happy Hair Growing! /images/graemlins/Rose.gif

Nyambura

surfer girl
[ QUOTE ]
carlie- just pulled up in a pony tail. too short and uneven for a real style.

Just wanted to give you ladies an update
I called the stylist and here's pretty much how the conversation went

I told her my hair is still breaking-- she said that my hair was shedding badly when I came in. I told her yes I have had a shedding problem but there is a huge difference between shedding and breaking. And the fact that my hair is less than an inch in the back but not bald shows that my hair was broken off not shedding. She agreed with me. Then she said she has never seen hair do that before. I told her that i have never seen my hir do that either.

Then I told her that i do not believe that it was ok to put relaxer on wet hair. She said she does it all the time-- that didn't make me feel any better.

I then told her that my hair feels dry like straw. She said she agreed

I also pointed out that I asked for a texturizer and she said that she did not think that she left the relaxer in too long but now she thinks that she did leave it in too long. SO that just proved that she gave me some bs about my hair not having the "curl Pattern" for the texture I wanted.

So I then told her I wanted a refund to try and get some other stylist to correct the damage. She said that a stylist cannot get my curly hair back. I told her yeah I know but i need to give my hair some conditioning treatments and I could use the money to take care of my ahir. She said ok. So I GET MY REFUND~!!! I was really happy-- of course this was all brought down when I realize I still have to deal with my messed up hair. But atleast I can use the money to get some Aubrey Organics Gbp and go to a stylist who knows what he/she is doing. Thanks once again for all the advice

[/ QUOTE ]

Good for you, Luvhair! /images/graemlins/up.gif Glad to read at least something good came out of this!