What stopped your dandruff?

LongHairDreams

I just had a thought. It came to me when I read a post in the Y'all would never guess what has CEASED MY SHEDDING!!! thread when someone mentioned that when she stopped using grease, her dandruff went away. When I was little, I had bad dandruff…what I call corn flakes :ohwell: and my mother greased my scalp. When I got older, I finally got a prescription for some Nizerol, back in 1998, to help with the dandruff and it worked. I haven’t had dandruff since. But I also stopped greasing my scalp (can’t remember when.) I'm trying to figure out if it was the Nizerol or not using the grease that stopped the dandruff. Back then, I only washed my hair every 2 weeks.

Does anyone have or used to have dandruff problems. For those who don’t anymore, what do you attribute it to? Do you have any suggestions to help those with dandruff problems?

BlondeByDesire

I'm still dealing with a dry/flaky scalp - it starts about the 3rd day after washing ... I don't grease my scalp - but I need help to control it - if not take it away - and my schedule doesn't permit to wash 2-3 times a week. Right now I use KC Dry & Itchy Shampoo and Con.

MA2010

There was a great thread on dry scalp under the "Recipes Forum" that works for me.

Twice a month or as needed I mix:

2-4 Tabs Aspirin (cheap bottle)
1 oz Vodka
1-2 Tabs Alka Seltzer
1 tbsp Cayenne Pepper

I mix it all up, apply to scalp with a toothbrush, leave on for 10min and then rinse! MY SCALP WAS NEVER HAPPIER! It relieves dry scalp, dandruff, and itchiness for up to a month for me. I love it!!!!

PinkPebbles

1) Jojoba oil and / or vitamin E oil.

2) Switched my shampoo to a more moisturizing poo

ETA: Product buildup can also cause a flaky scalp

asubeauty

I need to LIVE in this thread, because NOTHING has stopped my dandruff. I'm considering seeing a derm about it.

If I use grease or oil, I just get greasy, oily dandruff. A harsh shampoo just = dry hair and scalp, and big dry flakes. :sad:

Gracie

Nothing has actually stopped it. There are certain products that makes it worse, for me it's products containing petroleum, mineral oil, alcohol or beeswax. Washing it more frequently as well as maintaining a healthy balanced diet has helped control it.

Gracie

There was a great thread on dry scalp under the "Recipes Forum" that works for me.

Twice a month or as needed I mix:

2-4 Tabs Aspirin (cheap bottle)
1 oz Vodka
1-2 Tabs Alka Seltzer
1 tbsp Cayenne Pepper

I mix it all up, apply to scalp with a toothbrush, leave on for 10min and then rinse! MY SCALP WAS NEVER HAPPIER! It relieves dry scalp, dandruff, and itchiness for up to a month for me. I love it!!!!

Off topic question....
There was a thread about applying cayenne pepper to the scalp to stimulate growth. Did you experience an growth as a result of your mix?

d-rock

I stopped using traditional shampoos. Shampoos, yes including so-called dandruff shampoos, are loaded with detergents that basically strip your hair and super dry out your scalp. Dry scalp results in the overproduction of oil and skin shedding that is what we call "corn flakes." I use the WEN conditioning cleanser, but before I started doing that I was just using condish and rinsing with apple vinegar. Oh woo-la my scalp and hair have never looked better, the flakes are gone, and my head isn't constantly itchy. Grease use to make my dandruff really bad too, but that was before I found LHCF and was schooled on what to do.

MA2010

Off topic question....
There was a thread about applying cayenne pepper to the scalp to stimulate growth. Did you experience an growth as a result of your mix?

I think this is the same thread! It's hard to say if I have any growth from this recipe because I'm 10 wks post relaxer and I have about 1.5 inch NG.

It may just be the Cayenne because when the dryness is relieved I don't have to fuss with my hair as much, mess with my scalp, or use a small tooth comb to get the flakes out.

I think it really boosted growth because I could leave my hair alone and let it grow!

didirose

Washing hair more frequently and/or applying product to scalping sparingly has stopped my dandruff. The times I do apply product to my scalp it's usually after a wash and I notice my scalp dries clean, however 90% of the time I apply products to hair only.

shmmr

I used Nizoral last winter - the nonprescription formula that you can get at walmart and I haven't had problems since then. I'm waiting to see if it comes back this winter :perplexed. I didn't have any problems before last winter so maybe its gone permanently...I dunno.

mistee11

My MN mix and BT (Boundless Tresses) works wonders for me. I was suffering with a dry, flaky scalp and terrible itching even after I would wash my hair. Cowashing and washing my hair more than 1x a wk has also helped a great deal. No grease to the scalp whatsoever!

Lucky's Mom

neem oil and tea tree oil have been very helpful for me.

In addition to that........ I use a concotion of ACV and water - put it in a tint bottle and dowse my scalp with it before shampooing.

Personally - I think that many commerical products can really mess up our scalp moisture balance.... but you can regulate it...

Always~Wear~Joy

When I stopped using grease & Design Essentials products and started washing my hair weekly my dandruff ceased.....I haven't had any in like 4 years

Meki89

i had BAD dandruff, anytime I'd get my hair done at the salon the stylist would be wrapping my hair and lots and lots of dandruff would be falling all over me, I was so embarrassed :nono: but it only happened when I'd go to the salon, I guess whatever shampoo/conditioner they were using caused my scalp to become extra dry, now I don't have that problem anymore because I do my own hair now.

productjunkie814

I stopped using traditional shampoos. Shampoos, yes including so-called dandruff shampoos, are loaded with detergents that basically strip your hair and super dry out your scalp. Dry scalp results in the overproduction of oil and skin shedding that is what we call "corn flakes." I use the WEN conditioning cleanser, but before I started doing that I was just using condish and rinsing with apple vinegar. Oh woo-la my scalp and hair have never looked better, the flakes are gone, and my head isn't constantly itchy. Grease use to make my dandruff really bad too, but that was before I found LHCF and was schooled on what to do.

Same. Before I stopped using shampoos I would have flakes starting within a day of my wash...it was so frustrating. I stopped using shampoo and started co-washing when I was transitioning, and since then, not a flake in site. :spinning:

michaela

Natural 4b
I use To Have Horrible Dandruff/Dry Scalp!
its was so Bad When i Brushed My hair you Could See Flakes Come Down Every Where Like it was Snowing:nono:!But Ever Since i Started Washing My hair Every 3 Days and Using my Mn Mix Itchies/Flakes/Dryness where All Gone!

Gracie

i had BAD dandruff, anytime I'd get my hair done at the salon the stylist would be wrapping my hair and lots and lots of dandruff would be falling all over me, I was so embarrassed :nono: but it only happened when I'd go to the salon, I guess whatever shampoo/conditioner they were using caused my scalp to become extra dry, now I don't have that problem anymore because I do my own hair now.

Or maybe they weren't doing a good job of washing your hair

DivaD04

which sulfur product would you ladies reccommend for dandruff? Sulfur 8 or Glovers?

if it helps, my mom back in the 80's n 90's used to mix both (original) sulfur 8 and glover's mane together...for dandruff.

when growing up, my mom and sisters all had them corn flakes. i never experienced dandruff growing up like my other 3 sisters/mom until now. i think i myself overpooed (daily) my hair so long not to mention i think i may have bought a bad tub of relaxer (motions) b/c after using motions relaxer my scalp has been itching and flakin' (small ones tho) ever since. i've been thinking to get glover's mane n sulfur 8 original and mix'n 'em.

tadeja

I use a Neem bar to wash my hair. I've been doing it for about 3 months, usually twice a week, sometimes more. I'm still using the same bar. I have not seen a flake since. 3 bucks for 3 bars, can't beat it.

LivingDoll

Wow, I've changed so many things...

• I wash my hair every 3-4 days
  • I don't use shampoo with sulfates (for clarifying I use a baking soda and condish prepoo, part and apply to my hair/scalp like a relaxer)...I have to do this at least once every two weeks to keep down product buildup.
  • I moisturize and seal my hair everyday
  • I DC 2x a week with heat
  • I don't apply product directly to my scalp anymore..only to my hair.
  • I apply peppermint oil in all my products (poo, condish's)
These things have helped so much. My dandruff is virtually gone. What I found after joining the board is that a lot of my problem was product buildup.

gymfreak336

Or maybe they weren't doing a good job of washing your hair

:yep:

I had this problem and it was because I wasn't washing my hair properly. Artemis put me on to the Lisa Akbari book which helped me alot.

Now, I don't have any flakes but I still get the itches.