What Techniques Do You Use to Help Achieve Your Hair Goals?

Isis

I'm pretty good at visualizing what I want to accomplish with my hair and this works very well for me. I have a clear picture in my mind of how I want my hair to look and I review that picture periodically. I'll even change that mental image if I want to. I find that eventually, my hair begins to "match" my picture in my mind. I believe that happens with everyone.

I notice some of you have pics of hair inspirations in your folders which I'm sure does the same thing.

How about you? What do you do or use to help achieve your hair goals?:)

~*~ShopAholic~*~

Consistency. In the beginning I did the things I need to achieve the type of hair I wanted, moisturized, soft, silky, w/strength and elasticity, the correct porosity and shine. To get that I had to moisturized regularly, use moisturizing poo's and DC 2x's a wk, washing in sections and stretching relaxers. Oh yeah and regular treatments on schedule instead of as need, this way I don't have to "need" a treatment because I regularly get them reducing the risk of breakage and less shedding (which is normal). Now I can rollerset my hair in 35 min, no tangling, and use way less products. Moisturizing for me is now only on wash day, I add my leave in Humectress and I'm cool.

Candy_C

Isis said:
I'm pretty good at visualizing what I want to accomplish with my hair and this works very well for me. I have a clear picture in my mind of how I want my hair to look and I review that picture periodically. I'll even change that mental image if I want to. I find that eventually, my hair begins to "match" my picture in my mind. I believe that happens with everyone.

I notice some of you have pics of hair inspirations in your folders which I'm sure does the same thing.

Isis, i do the same visual thing, or sumtimes i'll put my head right back feel where it is on my back, and try to gain that "feel"..might sound a lil freaky but hey! lol

Also, i have a folder with hair models in, wigs or no wigs, the length they have and the pose is what i want. i jot down every few months how far i am too. i like to do lines on my progress pictures and see how much closer i am to that line every now and again. erm, thats about it!

sareca

Isis said:

That's funny. I use visualization for other areas of my life, but it never occurred to me to try it with my hair. Anyway, I have a well outlined regime, but it really should be thought of more as a toolbox. My technique is to listen to my hair and pull the appropriate tool from the regime box to address the issue.

MonaRae

I tried this but my hair is not like the picture yet. Might be because I forget, don't look at the picture, or I just gave up.

I want thicher hair, if any of you got your hair to be thicker using this technique please let me know!!!!!

MonaRae

Recherché.Beauty

I LIKE VISUALIZING TOO...I ALWAYS VISUALIZE ME WALKING THRU A CROWD OF PEOPLE WHISPERING SAY IS THAT ALL HER HAIR?? BECAUSE I WANT MID BACK LENGTH HAIR AND FROM THERE ON WELL SEE, BUT RIGHT NOW I'M JUST TRYING TO BUT TOGETHER A GOOD REGIMEN SO I CAN ACTUALLY SEE THAT LENGTH BEFORE I HIT 21

Isis

BeautifulWideEyes - I really like what you said about consistency. I'm pretty consistent now but I am learning to apply this to my protein treatments, which I usually forget about.

Candy C - you sure do use visualization! I have noticed that with your comparison shots and hair pics. It works too, doesn't it! BTW, I love your new hair pic in your siggy. Is it a braidout?

Sareca - Sounds like you know exactly how visualization works! I too use it in other areas of my life, actually every area of my life. I like your idea of listening to your hair. :yep:

MonaRae - When I do this, I make sure I'm consistent so the picture runs through my mind, just like all the other pictures do. We all have pictures running though our minds all day long. The ones that keep repeating are the ones that materialize in our lives. I believe we can all conjure up these images at will to focus on, until it happens by itself.

For thicker hair, if you find it challenging to come up with an image, just look at some of the hair albums here of ladies with thick hair or look at pictures in magazines, until you find the image you want your hair to be like. I haven't personally done this for thicker hair but visualization works with anything we want.

Recherché.Beauty - I have a feeling you'll get what you want with your visualization. :yep: Make sure you include how your hair looks at mid-back while people are whispering!;)

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
I also use visualization from time to time. I find it hard to stick with anything for long though and I'll have to remind me of doing it again.
I repeat my goal for myself time and time again and write it down in my hair diary.

cocowhite

Photos, comparison shots, seeing other people hair albums and the new diagram/chart to see starting length to goal length, which really put it over the top in seeing that my hair goal is definitely attainable.

Healthb4Length

I use visualization too sometimes and viewing other's album also keeps me inspired. I find that sticking to a consistent regime (regardless of what products I use) has also helped me retain a lot of length.

Miss*Tress

Viewing other albums has definitely been the biggest inspiration for me so far. I will have to try the visualization techniques you mention, Isis - looking within for inspiration so to speak. ;)

I tend to see things as they are or how I *fear* they are (anxiety, I know). Wish me some positive thoughts, ladies!

Last edited:

Dare~to~Dream

I've tried visualization but it didn't work. I wasn't really doing it for hair growth {meaning I didn't tell myself I want my hair this length so let me "visualize" this goal}. I was just imagining my hair longer than what it is...that's the same thing right? :confused: I didn't think of it being "visualization" though until I read it on this forum.

Isis

Lanelle said:
I've tried visualization but it didn't work. I wasn't really doing it for hair growth {meaning I didn't tell myself I want my hair this length so let me "visualize" this goal}. I was just imagining my hair longer than what it is...that's the same thing right? :confused: I didn't think of it being "visualization" though until I read it on this forum.

Lanelle, yes, imagining your hair longer or shorter or in a particular style, for example, is visualization. We all do it. We all already have mental images of what we look like and our bodies have "become" these images. The exercise is to change the images we have, deliberately, if we want to.

Some people when wanting to lose weight will stick a picture from a magazine on their fridge of themselves at a lower weight or of a body they admire so they see it everytime they open the door. This is a way of visualizing a goal. Some, like many of the ladies here enjoy looking at hair pics and journals to get visuals of what they want for their hair. Our imagination is the tool we all have to visualize anything we want, at any time.:)

ETA:

If you are visualizing your hair longer than it is, please don't give up. Keep this image every time you think of your hair and it will come to pass. :yep:

Last edited:

Isis

FlowerHair - repetition works for me too. Having a hair diary is a great idea, I may start one too one of these days. Whatever you are doing, it's really working well for you - your hair is gorgeous!

Cocowhite - the diagram/chart you mentioned seems to be really helping a lot of ladies here. :yep:

Alli77 - I agree about sticking to a consistent regime. That's another good one. I know for sure it has worked for me too to retain my length. :)

MissBiss - You're not alone seeing things as they are, even in fear. I've learned that fear attracts that which is feared. If I find myself with negative, fearful thoughts and images, I ask God to remove them right away. Then I choose the kind of thoughts or images I truly want.

There are some avatars here that inspire me (besides avatars of LHCF members). SVT had an avatar for a while that really inspired me back in 2004 (I think). I can still "see" it in my mind although it's getting fuzzy now. :lol: SVT's hair inspires me! Maybe she'll come back to show us some recent hair pics soon.

Dare~to~Dream

Isis said:
If you are visualizing your hair longer than it is, please don't give up. Keep this image every time you think of your hair and it will come to pass. :yep:

Thanks, I'm still trying to "keep hope alive." :lol:

brickhouse

The only tech I used is wearing protective styles. I was at brastrap last year and had a nasty run in with some tree braids. Last time I got a touch up in Dec I was once again a couple of inches from brastrap. I wear a wig everyday to protect my own hair. I am going to try the visualization technique you mentioned. Never thought about that for my hair. I have been kind of slipping lately anyway.

MizAvalon

I agree with Beautiful Wide Eyes, consistency is KEY. If you are not doing the proper things on a regular basis anything else won't matter.

Protective styles
Little manipulation
Stretching relaxers
Little to no heat
Stretching trims out
Using quality products

These are all things that have helped me.:)

Lovelylocs

Visualization works really well for me too! :yep:

Candy C, tilting your head back to feel it on your back at your goal isn't strange at all. :lol: :sekret: I do it too. :shocked: :lol:

Isis

Brickhouse - Since visualization works with everything else, I thought why not our hair too. Quite a few of the ladies have been doing it all along. Protective styles do work for many too. :yep:

MizAvalon - I agree about consistency too. I've kept my regimen pretty consistent and I do see that it works. It also keeps me from getting caught up too much the PJism! :lol:

Lovelylocs - Sounds like you and Candy C are on to something there. :yep: Using all of our senses, including touch, can really speed things up when working to achieve our goals.

19Sweetie - I'll bet your techniques are working very well for your hair goals! :up: