What texture does this look like to you?

H

HoneyRockette

Yes. I agree. Your little avatar picture looks like 4b to me Sassy.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
I was thumbing through the book "Hair Rules" at the bookstore. In the first photo the model has a texturizer.
If you go to his site (hairrules.com) you'll see the 'before' and 'after' on the home page. (The first and very last photos). It doesn't look like the same woman on that page, but it's the same photos from the book.

I think the second photo is the same woman...

Jaquai

yes that is definitely the same woman. i dont have his book but i have the SBH issue that these pics are also in. i had at first thought that the hair in the first pic was wet and the hair in the second pic was after drying. but i guess it is silkened.

H

HoneyRockette

I went to the website. Where does it say she is texturized?

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
The first one looks like 4A. If it was texturized or silkened, I'd think it would look smoother. In addition to what the ends look like, there are a lot of krinkles, so I think it is natural, with a twist-out.

Destanee

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is stated in the book Hair Rules.
It shows a before and after pic.

MSCHICHI

HR,

That is a great pic. It actually looks a lot like my hair, one reason I was so confused about whether or not my hair was 3c or 4a, now I just claim a mix or fusion of the 2.

Sassygirl,

I loved that website. I think you are right, the woman at the top (HR's pic) and the woman at the bottom are the same:

http://www.hairrules.com/welcome.htm

Her hair may be natural. My hair is natural and looks like the pic at the top if I do my wash and go routine, and like power 'fro at the bottom if I do a mild blow out-then pick.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not on the site. It's in the book on page 103. I'll see if I can scan it...

I couldn't scan it w/o ripping out the page.
I tried to get the wrods to show up, but I couldn't. It says the inset photo is Susan with nonchemically treated hair. The large photo is Susan after "lightly texturizing using a sodium hydroxide relaxer." They also lightened her hair and added highlights.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
The book doesn't cover anything that hasn't already been discussed on this forum... I bought it so folks would know there's a market for books like this one. He recommends daily rinsing and shampooing with conditioner instead of regular shampoo. He doesn't recommend any products besides cholesterol, castor oil and various essential oils. He doesn't even say which brand of cholesterol!

There's info for relaxed and thermally reconditioned hair, too. He's a big fan of roller sets.

The forward by Maybelline model Tomiko Fraser was funny. Who knew she was sporting a "comb over" to cover a bald spot at one point?

H

HoneyRockette

WOW!!! She had a fro before???
GET OUTTA HERE!!! I imagine my hair will look like her before picture when I am completely natural. WOW! Thanks for posting the picture. As a matter of fact, I think I will buy his book. I have to see that picture up close!

Kengne

<font color="blue">I think the 1st pic is primarily 3c/4a half-an-half...But the 2nd pic is most def 4b hair with a dash of 4a in the mix.

<font color="purple">4b</font> hair has primarily no defined curl pattern per se but it's extremely curly/kinky none the less. I'm a combo 4a/b with the top, middle crown being <font color="red">4aish.</font> If I wanted, I could use gel etc... to easily get "curls". Then towards my side and back the curl pattern becomes much smaller and each strand wants to be an independent curl lol
. The middle back is <font color="green">literally in between 4a and 4b</font>..not as 4aish as the top but not as 4bish as the side. </font>

H

HoneyRockette

Okay I bought the book and I have a texture question for anyone who knows the answer. Her before picture, after close examination looks like 4b to me. I thought Andre said 4b hair couldn't be texturized. So is it that her hair isn't 4b or is it that Andre was once again wrong?

CurlyCrly

You're correct. He said it would turn out frizzy. I still think that girl has a twist-out. That's why there appear to be curls, instead of frizz. That's why it's hanging down, instead of out too. Has anyone ever seen a 4b with natural hair that hung down, even after twist-outs or braid-outs? I haven't.

Sassy, does he mention anything else about how the style was achieved, other than texturizing?

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
[ QUOTE ]
I thought Andre said 4b hair couldn't be texturized.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking the same thing! Maybe her "before" photo is picked out 4a hair...

Also--

Do you think she is the same model on page 1? (The page with all the color photos of celebs, magazine covers, etc.) I'm talking about the pic where he's standing behind a woman with his eyes closed and his hand on her shoulder. That's what I always thought texturized hair looked like.

CurlyCrly, I think you're right. A texturized twist-out. Or maybe it's still wet.
He doesn't say anything else was done besides light texturizing.

H

HoneyRockette

There is another picture of the same girl on page 58 of the book and it does not look like a twistout. It is more frizzy but still has well defined curls. It looks natural to me but the fact that it isn't intrigues me. I think I want a texturizer. I will scan that pic when I get home in a few hours and I want you all to tell me what type it looks like.

H

HoneyRockette

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think she is the same model on page 1? (The page with all the color photos of celebs, magazine covers, etc.) I'm talking about the pic where he's standing behind a woman with his eyes closed and his hand on her shoulder. That's what I always thought texturized hair looked like.

[/ QUOTE ]
It is the same person. Both pictures are of the sae person, yet everyone insisted she had two different hair types. I think the second picture with Dickey looks picked out. I think the other picture, the first picture I posted, looks like she used some gel or leave in or something to define the curls more. This picture that I am looking at that I am going to post next looks like the same woman fresh out of the shower aired dried. That is why I think I want a texturizer. It provides versatility without too much manipulation. The same woman with the same texturizer can sport three completely different styles just by picking it out, washing and wearing and using a little leave in. At least, that is what I'd like to believe.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
[ QUOTE ]
I think I want a texturizer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too!
Her hair looks good! But it's a chemical and the timing must be just right or else I'll end up with a plain old relaxer. Or worse--underprocessed hair!

Edited to add: I guess that's what a texturizer is--underprocessed hair...

H

HoneyRockette

Did I do that right? If I did, what texture does this look like?

CurlyCrly

Ok, I went to the first page of the album and got there that way. It does look 4a/4b to me now. I think it would be curlier and less frizzy if it was all 4A.

Chipmunk

Hmmm her hair reminds me of mine in that wet picture, but I don't have a texturizer and I consider myself to be 4b. Now I'm confused, and I wasn't confused before.

Jaquai

i think she is a 4a (before pic) because 4b does not coil or curl it only it is zig zag small waves. so if you have any kind of coil or curl then your hair is not completely 4a. i have 4a with just alittle 3c in the kitchen and my hair looks like the first pic when wet but as it dries it slowly makes it way up and out.

Jaquai

just wanted to fix my post. i meant to say that if you have any type of coil or curl then your hair cannot be completely 4b.