What...there Are Racist Doctors? Doctor Mocking And Being Totally Dis-re-spect-ful

Shula

Bravo to you and rinse and repeat as often as you have to. You don't have to take that crap from ANYBODY. Let alone someone who is sworn to do no harm. I've seen so much and I used to be timid. I'm not the one anymore. So glad you stuck up for yourself and humbled her.

The worst part about this is even after being "removed from the schedule" this lady probably still thinks she's done nothing wrong. I can see her at home yelling at her lesbian life partner about the 2 n words that got her laid off. Just makes me sick. When she grabbed him I would have called for security and cried assault. I think there was someone off camera trying to tell her to chill too because at one point she seemed to explain herself to them saying "because he's claiming he can't get up". I hope she never works again.

It sucks that there are people like this. I used to hear about things like this (or see videos in this social media age) all the time but seeing the person in action right in front of you is totally different. I once saw a doctor scream at the top of his lungs at a nurse or someone in scrubs - not sure what their profession was - like she wasn't even a human being in the middle of the hallway right outside of an open room. And then she had to go in there and tend to the person she was just humiliated in front of. I was sitting of to the side waiting for my mom. I was like he treats people he works with who assist him like this then how does he treat patients? I got up just to make sure he wasn't my mother's doctor because I didn't need a reason to get in his face after seeing the way he was acting.

I also had a doctor who would yell at me if I asked questions...about MY health. She wanted to take a test and I would ask what is it for and she would raise her voice and say something smart like "Who's the doctor here?" It's so weird that they think they can treat people like this? Like there aren't better, nicer, decent doctors out there that people are more comfortable with. When I dumped her she tried to be so nice to me telling me even though I had co-pays she would waive them for me and wanting to talk about her kids and stuff. Nope, gimme a copy of my patient file and we're done.

Atthatday

Every knee shall bow...
Substance abuse aside, the irony is, personality tests arent required to obtain a degree, license, badge, etc. I’m not aware of too many professions that offer in-depth: interpersonal skills, communication, diversity, etc., classes.

But then again, if the classes were offered, how many of the “I’m yt and always right” group would take them? Who would teach the classes?

Shula

Substance abuse aside, the irony is, personality tests arent required to obtain a degree, license, badge, etc. I’m not aware of too many professions that offer in-depth: interpersonal skills, communication, diversity, etc., classes.

But then again, if the classes were offered, how many of the “I’m yt and always right” group would take them? Who would teach the classes?

They need a nice little sabbatical from their "we run this".

Shula

Yes, and I hope it comes VERY soon, like within the next 10 years. They know it’s coming, and they’re SCARED ! I call it karma.

Amended:
Shula said:

They need a nice little permanent sabbatical from their "we run this".

Just saw a quote from a white man who seemed to be a fan on Jay and Bey's new video at the Lourve. He said something like they are dancing all over the remnants of Western Civilization. Wise man. #It'sOver

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Oh wow. I live in a majority Black Country and we have some Asian doctors but NOBODY would speak to me like that and still have a job. Also,this doctor looks so disheveled. Physician heal thyself.

:yep: at the bolded. It just takes her atrocious behavior to another level for me. She's unprofessional, unkind, clueless, and apparently not one to be disciplined to any degree in caring for her own body and health . . . but wanna talk down to and accost someone coming in for care.

Last edited:

Shula

None of my docs are White for this very reason.

Apologies for the long post. I'm passionate about good medical care, sorry.

I was going to leave this alone but sadly, this hasn't been the answer for me. When I first got sick, I had a black woman neurologist and her entire staff was redneck, ignorant white women that I had to spell and pronounce everything for. Doc was not attentive, staff was a mess, office was small and smelled like urine. Came out of testing and they were all flirting with hubby, just unprofessional. Diagnosed me with a million things and treated nothing.

Last black woman PA was hot and cold but didn't really ask questions, made excuses for symptoms and other docs who were out of pocket. Y'all think cops protect each other? Try docs, lol.

Best docs I have ever been blessed to have were: Puerto Rican GI doc who literally saved my baby's life after all the neglect before. We actually met a new young doctor who met him at a conference a few months ago. The young doctor was really dull at first, just bland. Nice, smart, but boring. Our old GI doc brought up our case as the best and worst he's ever had because of the difficulty of the case. The young doc legit came to life when he realized he was meeting us. He says our GI doc raved and raved about how awesome we are. Mostly because I figured out that medication mishap that almost killed my kid when the docs couldn't figure it out. That doc went against the entire establishment to support us. And he did it against the wishes of the hospital's lawyers. I always wonder if he left because of retaliation or something because he loved that area. He's the one who literally taught me like a student. So patient, let me take notes. I luh him so much.

My Jewish psych doc who left me for research. Listened, validated, changed or fixed everything immediately and we would laugh and laugh during my appointments. Miss him.

The original white male who diagnosed my kid because what she had didn't exactly fit the textbook but he was right after pathology came back. Incredible man and top in his field when we got him. Super kind and very hands on.

And believe it or not, a rock star Ukrainian male doc on the West Coast that did my kid's surgery in such a pioneering way that she may be written up in textbooks somewhere. Her situation was only the second child in the world they accomplished it on and it went so well that her case is the blueprint. This doc once came in from a conference at 2am in blue jeans and came straight to the hospital. He told me he couldn't go home before making sure she was fine. He would tear up because my baby paid him dust, lol. She's cold blooded but our last day with him, he asked her for a hug and she gave him the biggest hug and kiss unprodded and that man cried like a baby. Her case was unique and I had been looking for somebody to take it for months. I saw him on tv, when he pulled off the surgery the first time on a kid, and he called me back personally within an hour of the call. Extraordinary man. No details for privacy reasons but I'm not in a place where I get to even meet too many black docs and the ones I've had were disappointing.

OMG, just remembered this African and Indian doc we used to have. Daughter had to go to ER and the black one was on call. HE REFUSED TO RESPOND TO THE CALLS. He shows up like 11-12 hours later talking about he's tired and needs his rest. :mad: Later on we had a follow up at his office. We are the only people in the waiting room and he kept us waiting while on the phone about his golf game. Like, I could hear him talking about golf way past our appointment time. The nurses were so embarrassed and apologetic. I said I understand your time is important but so is ours...we missed another important appointment we had because of waiting. He KICKED us out of the practice and was supposedly the only pediatrician in the area for kids that chronic. Gleeful about it, too. I was so upset! Who could take care of her now? Shortly after, he was negligent with another kid at the office. His office saw the sickest of the sick kids. They had to call an ambulance and unfortunately, that kid died with him playing around. I was glad he put us out then. He even formally wrote up a letter and sent it to me that we were no longer welcome. And this was back when I was timid, don't make no waves Shula. Sad.

Atthatday

Every knee shall bow...
@Shula: I’m sorry that you and your family had to endure such abhorrent behavior from the very people who were supposed to help your child.

For me and my family, in today’s world, it’s not enough to just depend on some professionals. More and more, I find that I have to educate myself on what the professionals should know, just to feel a tad safe. It’s another job to stay on top of the doctors, attorneys, accountant, pharmacists, etc.

As my grandmother always says, “You’re only good as the person who’s giving you the information.” I didn’t understand it then, but I do now.

Shula

@Shula: I’m sorry that you and your family had to endure such abhorrent behavior from the very people who were supposed to help your child.

For me and my family, in today’s world, it’s not enough to just depend on some professionals. More and more, I find that I have to educate myself on what the professionals should know, just to feel a tad safe. It’s another job to stay on top of the doctors, attorneys, accountant, pharmacists, etc.

As my grandmother always says, “You’re only good as the person who’s giving you the information.” I didn’t understand it then, but I do now.

Thanks so much for this, sis. I appreciate it. I really am fine. My posts may seem emotional because it can be shocking to see your innocent baby sick and people act like whatever and rewrite medical records to cover mistakes. It's appalling to me, but I'm really ok. Your grandmother is right and I've taught my daughter the same thing. Unfortunately sometimes we have to doctor the doctor and (police the police). And praise be, she is better than I am at it. She found some obscure clotting abnormality that tends to be a little more common in the lupus population. She is working with her bomb new hematologist for further testing to see if that is the reason for her latest hiccup. I'm proud of her, my mom died of a clot, oldest sister has had a few bouts with them (needs new lungs), and I have lupus. She will be further testing to see if that could be the underlying reason because her clotting is so extensive, they've literally never seen it before. She could be saving my life, too, with this info. She used to want to go into medicine but wants nothing to do with it now. However, she and I will research and learn as much as we can because we do genuinely enjoy it. She feels she's too apathetic, lol. She blames it on her medication, lol. I tried to call her out on it but her research on it says it may be true, lol. #irony.

Last edited:

Shula

All my docs are Black Americans because that is just how it's been since I was a kid. My parents intentionally sought them out and I am satisfied with their expertise and professionalism.

If I lived in a place, where this was possible, I'd still go for it. I did stumble upon a group of black women psyches in my area. Pondering over it. I'm feeling pretty good upstairs for now but I'll keep them in mind.

RossBoss

If I lived in a place, where this was possible, I'd still go for it. I did stumble upon a group of black women psyches in my area. Pondering over it. I'm feeling pretty good upstairs for now but I'll keep them in mind.

Yes, it all comes down to where you live. My city has a long history of Black people in the medical field so I have a lot to choose from. Unfortunately, our medical institutions are going downhill(Howard U Hospital for example), due to financial mismanagment and the Black American doctors worth their salt are fleeing to greener pastures. I have a plethora of American doctors to choose from in my area and for that I am grateful.

ThirdEyeBeauty

I was going to leave this alone but sadly, this hasn't been the answer for me. When I first got sick, I had a black woman neurologist and her entire staff was redneck, ignorant white women that I had to spell and pronounce everything for. Doc was not attentive, staff was a mess, office was small and smelled like urine. Came out of testing and they were all flirting with hubby, just unprofessional. Diagnosed me with a million things and treated nothing.

Last black woman PA was hot and cold but didn't really ask questions, made excuses for symptoms and other docs who were out of pocket. Y'all think cops protect each other? Try docs, lol.
It was just them. I am sure there are great physicians of all backgrounds.

Shula

Ooh, these people are sooooo wicked and evil and for why? When my daughter got out of the hospital with her DVT, I drove right to the same pharmacy that cut me off and I told the lady point blank after she asked for ID for the narcs, "You see, she went from one script to 7 in one hospital stay? I HAD BETTER not have an ounce of trouble getting that prescription from you people! You see this midline in her arm? No problems, you hear me?!

She was all cowered down, "No ma'am, no problems." I hate to have to get like that with folks. I'm a love and light kinda person but keep messin' around with my kid and you serving all these white junkies like it's cookies y'all are selling.

Shula

Incredibly, incredibly sad. Like, tear-causing. :nono:

Sad and utterly ENRAGING to live through. I remember that last day my child had been bleeding internally for weeks and that doctor lying to me that she wasn't and her barely waking up that day....whew...when they finally helicoptered out to the hospital 2 hours away...her pediatrician would lie and call to get status updates. Have his nurses lie and call to get updates while stalling on her records. At this point, I had told him he is no longer her doc and he was talking to the staff trying to get ahead of a lawsuit and changing her records to save his butt. Life means NOTHING to a lot of people in the life saving business. I was beyond hurt. If you ladies feel like they aren't giving you the attention you need, go elsewhere and let them know why. You have no business defiling this profession treating people this way. I've been known to grab a nurse's wrist while she tried to give my kid a syringe of medication that wasn't hers. I'm the least violent person you will ever meet but if you're out of pocket and my child is about to be harmed, I will put my hands on you because I have seen how far you will go and how much farther you will go to lie and cover it up. Of course, I was right. That syringe didn't even have my kid's name on it. You can hate me all you want but you will not be harming my kid because of your racism, arrogance, ignorance, or unprofessionalism. Not today.

Shula

I work in the medical field. Y’all know never to leave your loved ones unattended in the hospital-right?

Thank you! I just did a 10 day stint in a straight back chair no home breaks, nothing. I've done as long as 4 months. We live here now, how you doing? My brother was on life support. They extubated him, he's talking and fine to my brother, my brother steps away, doc gave him something to drink, he was supposed to be NPO, we got another funeral. There are excellent docs out there. Do not assume you have one.

GeorginaSparks

Thank you! I just did a 10 day stint in a straight back chair no home breaks, nothing. I've done as long as 4 months. We live here now, how you doing? My brother was on life support. They extubated him, he's talking and fine to my brother, my brother steps away, doc gave him something to drink, he was supposed to be NPO, we got another funeral. There are excellent docs out there. Do not assume you have one.
whats a NPO?

Shula

whats a NPO?

ETA:
Nothing by mouth is a medical instruction meaning to withhold food and fluids. It is also known as nil per os (npo or NPO), a Latin phrase whose English translation is most literally, "nothing through the mouth". Variants include nil by mouth (NBM), nihil/non/nulla per os, or complete bowel rest.[1] A liquid-only diet may also be referred to as bowel rest.[2]

The typical reason for NPO instructions is the prevention of aspiration pneumonia, e.g. in those who will undergo general anesthesia, or those with weak swallowing musculature, or in case of gastrointestinal bleeding, gastrointestinal blockage, or acute pancreatitis. Alcohol overdoses that result in vomiting or severe external bleeding also warrant NPO instructions for a period

It's when the patient is not be given anything by mouth. Doc came right on in and gave him a big glass of water cause "she didn't know". It was in his records, my brother knew. These folks are careless. Our routine when my daughter is in house is that you pass her meds off to me or her and they are named as given every time. I'm not difficult about it. I bathe her, get her to and from bathroom all hours day or night, clean ups if she throws up....all the menial tasks. Frees up time and stress for the nurse and they tend to be a little more diligent and they do better, in my experience. Shouldn't have to do all that but whatever keeps my kid alive and sane in the chaos.

YvetteWithJoy

On break

Omg.

Farida

Whether or not the dude was truly ill (because people DO fake)

Her behavior was completely unacceptable. Unprofessional, unethical and lacking compassion.

I could write a dissertation on the poor treatment I have received from doctors. I honestly believe a lot ot the depression I have suffered recently is due to that. Doctors who have dismissed, ignored and patronized me. After 2 years of writing my complaints off they believed me when I collapsed in my office and was rushed to the ER...and the ER docs were like, “duh, she has X condition,” then they started treating me.

Shula

I'm so sorry you had to deal with that because it amplifies the pain you're suffering mentally, emotionally, and physically exponentially. I have no doubt it adversely affected your depression. I remember holding my almost lifeless baby and the intensity of the pain when they are sitting across from you blank faced and emotionless as if "these things happen." I can't articulate how much this hurts to be treated like that when you're in the middle of a health crisis but I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

I had one nurse call me and apologize and ask if my baby was alright and if she could come to our home just to see my daughter was ok for herself. Her original pediatrician was a boorish man and whenever the nurse would agree with me or try to say something was amiss with my daughter, he would bulldoze over her and humiliate her. I was touched that she cared and apologized and it really did make all the difference in the world to me. I can understand, accept, and forgive mistakes. When they kill your loved one like its part of the job and hit you with that apathetic so what stuff...every time you think about it...it's like they are killing them over and over again. Then you try to sue and you hear them talk in legal terms what the worth of your loved one's life was...and it's like they are killing them again. If I had my health, I'd be in patient advocacy and I'd be kicking tail and working closely with lawyers that will make you care because you're sick of losing money and your reputation is mud now.

Whether or not the dude was truly ill (because people DO fake)

Her behavior was completely unacceptable. Unprofessional, unethical and lacking compassion.

I could write a dissertation on the poor treatment I have received from doctors. I honestly believe a lot ot the depression I have suffered recently is due to that. Doctors who have dismissed, ignored and patronized me. After 2 years of writing my complaints off they believed me when I collapsed in my office and was rushed to the ER...and the ER docs were like, “duh, she has X condition,” then they started treating me.

Kindheart

This is doctors for ya, they wouldn’t consider someone with anxiety and probably hypochondria seriously . She doesn’t see anything physically wrong so she’s thinking he’s bluffing end of story . She probably had hundreds patients in much worse conditions to attend .Was she rude and dismissive? Yes .I had that a lot in the past ,even when it came to my autistic son ,one of them told me I was being paranoid to think he had problems.

Last edited:

LeftRightRepeat

Doctors who have dismissed, ignored and patronized me