What types of braids do the LEAST damage?

pink219

In an effort to leave the flat iron alone, I would like to get braids instead, but I do not know which braids I should get (i.e., tree braids, micros, kinky twists etc.) I'm thinking maybe tree braids. What do yall' think? Also I have natural 4a/b hair, would that be an issue for braids (especially when trying to wash them)?

Anyway, what type of braids or twists do you recommend?

mscocoface

I am going to go a little philosophical on this one. I think you can get any type you desire the issue is how tight they are, how you maintain them and making sure you keep them refreshed and in good condition around the edges and nape of your head.

I have seen braids when done and maintained correctly help tremendously with growth. Also as with everything else this is good for some and not for others. For instance in my case I can't put any type of braid or twist around my edges when I am using extension hair. My edges just can't handle the additional weight. But without extension hair my edges are just fine. So I have to do flat twists on at least the first 1/2 inch of my edges before I can add extension hair.

Again, do what works for you but be very mindful of them and maintain them well.

HTH.

Demi27

I agree with the previous poster.

I personally like individuals with human or synthetic hair.
I like synthetic hair b/c when you moisturize your hair your own hair get really really soft. Since it's synthetic hair, the products all go to your real hair as opposed to the human braiding hair AND your hair.

However, I also like human hair so that I can curl it if I want to.

It's all about how you take care of your hair. I still wash and condition my hair in braids. I just co-washed the other night.

IMO, the best braids are the ones you put in yourself (as opposed to going to a braider).

DaPPeR

NIBERIANGIRL
Kinky twist......many have retained a lot of length from this style of braiding. And they are very easy to take down.

msa

I agree with Mscocoface. It really depends on your hair, how tightly they are done, how much hair you use and all kinds of other factors.

My edges can not take braids/twists with extension hair because the added hair is just too heavy. I did try tree braids once and I really liked them. The only problem was the person didn't do a very good job. But I think they'd be a great braid style as long as the cornrows aren't too tight.

I agree with Mscocoface. It really depends on your hair, how tightly they are done, how much hair you use and all kinds of other factors.

My edges can not take braids/twists with extension hair because the added hair is just too heavy. I did try tree braids once and I really liked them. The only problem was the person didn't do a very good job. But I think they'd be a great braid style as long as the cornrows aren't too tight.

yes this is so true because some people have the same issues with tracks...
when i do a sew in i break, but others grow... that crap is so annoying lol I be lookin like... what did i do to deserve this LOL

tkj25

i agree with mscoco, it's all about not getting braids that are too tight, and still allow you to maintain your hair regime with them in. i use individual/box yarn braids. they allow me to protective style my hair, hold moisture well & retain growth.

StrongWomanNYC

Tree braids cause the least amount of damage. Because there is NO heat or chemicals applied to your hair. All of your own hair is braided in and only extension hair is left out allowing your hair to breathe and grow.
These are the tree braids I did on myself. My hair is natural and it was completely protected by the tree braids.

mstar

Luxury bacon
I've worn braids for many, many years on my natural 4b hair. Right now, I'm wearing my first set of kinky twists, and this style is definitely the easiest on my hair. They're very lightweight, and they're not putting any stress on my edges. I'm getting tons of growth, and kinky twists have the added benefit of blending very well with my natural hair.

I had tree braids once, and I'd say that that's another very low-stress style. Mine were individuals in the front, and cornrowed in the back. But I personally don't like the way the style looks.

For individual braids, I get better results from high-quality human hair. Synthetic hair tends to dry my hair out, and it can be very irritating to the scalp. HTH

Pandora1975

I got my best growth while wearing individuals of synthetic hair. I believe it as previously stated - the moisturizers made it to my hair- not the extensions. If I start working again anytime soon, I may put them back in until I get use to m new schedule.

ycj

I am in agreement with both ladies Demi1974 and mscocoface, from previous experience in using braids it does highly depend on the tightness and the upkeep of the braids. No matter which ones are in. Braids are wonderful in, whether it's synthetic or human. It's mainly about the tension on the hair line and the nape. When I did have braids in they were the best thing since sliced bread, but as long as they were not too tight!

I remember I was living in Louisiana and was told about this lady who does braids and how consistent they were and neat. Well I went to her to have my braids put in and she did them neat alright.... so neat that she sectioned my hair as usual then used small rubber bands then she added the synthetic hair to braid. when she was all finished I told her that the braids were a bit too tight. She told me that they would loosen in time and when I go home to rinse them in warm water to speed up the looseness. I did and lets just say by the time it was time for me to go to bed I did'nt because I was too busy trying to lay down in a comfortable postition to sleep, so I ended up taking down the braids because I just could not handle the tension. I find that professional braiders especially Africans tend to braid way too tight!

Fortunately I know how to braid myself and have been contemplating putting them back in since I am natural. But just saying braids are and can be a life saver if done correctly and taken care of properly!!!! The braids made a tremendous difference in my growth, but you have to keep them moist. and cleaned.

lilsparkle825

My favorites are kinky twists and/or senegalese twists (kinky twists with kanekalon instead of kinky hair). Both helped me retain a lot of growth and were easy to put in, moisturize, and take down.

bee

So far, the crochet braids I'm currently wearing, are very good for my hair. I have no hair at my temples, so I did not include that section to crochet. I simply did a comb-over and keep that area covered by a swoop of the hair that i DO have there. I have five cornrows and used a bag and a half, of Freetress Water Wave Bulk hair. My hair has been in this style for about a month, and shows no signs of damage. I got the idea to wear crochet braids from some helpful tips I found on youtube! This style is also helping my nape to grow as well. No heat=no damage!

NappyMD

I just put in a synthetic kinky twist (did my own for the 4th time) and I love it :love: Like others said, I find the twist styles easier to take down, which may mean less damage when taking down. I always use at least a cm of hair to start it and I only use a tiny amount of synthetic hair (like half the amount of my hair that goes into it). In the end, I use about a 1/2 pack or less of the Marley hair per style. This cuts down on the weight and since I only twist an inch or two past my own hair people think it's just my own twist that I often do (but it lasts like 4 times longer without locking).

I used to get individual braids (and later senegalese twists) done in San Diego when I was in high school and college. The braiders at the shop I used were FANTASTIC. They were gentle with my hair and never did them too tight. Of course I paid over $200 a style but it was worth it. Never had any breakage or hairline issues, but I do like to use less hair for myself since I like the natural look :yep:

Hairsofab

I wore tree braids for about a year and a half straight. It is a very good protective style. However, as with any cornrows the hair in front starts to thin out. I had to take a break from them so I don't lose my edges.

Netta1

I agree with the others, you have to take care of all braided hair styles..so its a break but not really..

Have you considered getting your natural hair box braided? Thats a cute style that might work, then you don't have to worry about moisture not making it to your hair. My natural is braided and will be for a looong time-this is the easiest method for me. I can feel (and see) rather or not my hair is doing okay the process....

Aggie

I agree with msstarr that kinky twists are lightweight, however, because my hair is relaxed, they were not a perfect fit for me. My relaxed ends took a beating from the elements as they simply couldn't stay in the twists. They would be poking out all over my head and after doing this about 3 times, I realized that this was not a great style for my relaxed hair. I do believe that it is a great style for natural haired ladies.

Now I wear boxed braids and they are perfect for my hair.The ends are perfectly in place and stay in place, therefore protected from the elements and external damage - no frizzies, nothing. Plus, my hairline is pretty strong so I have no issues there either. I am however, very careful to avoid pulling on my hairline with the extension braids.