What would it take for you to TRUST a stylist

gymfreak336

The reason I ask is because there is a girl at my school who has relaxed hair that she can almost sit on and she depends solely on a stylist who lives in her hometown, about 2 hours a way. She will not wash her hair with out her. Her hair is beautiful and looks so healthy and it really got me thinking. Did anyone here achieve their length and health goals with the help of stylist? I am going to be driving about 45mins to an hour for my next relaxer. If everything goes great then I am really contemplating driving to see her every two to three weeks. The stylist I had before wasn't bad but after a dye job that I wasn't completely satisified with, I stopped going. I really want to be able to trust someone because somethings I just can't duplicate. What would it take for you to trust a stylist? Would you ever have complete trust in a stylist even if you found a good one?

locabouthair

for me she needs to know how to trim/cut right. i coudln't believe how my stylist cut my hair after i got a perm on friday. one side is longer than the other and i think it's pretty noticable. also if my hair comes out really soft after i leave she gets points for that. i don't think it's wise to depend solely on a stylist for hair growth. they might be doing good technique's but if you use heat everyday and never moisturize your hair when you are away from your stylist. then you won't retain your length and it's not necessarily their fault. i think if you having a good stylist and taking care of your hair= length.

tffy2004

I would trust a stylist who has clients that have been with them for years and have healthy hair. I would consider it a plus if he or she has a client or two with hair at the length I am trying to achieve. If I had the money I would depend on someone else to take care of my hair for me but for now I will have to do.

Denim And Leather

locabouthair said:
but if you use heat everyday and never moisturize your hair when you are away from your stylist. then you won't retain your length and it's not necessarily their fault. i think if you having a good stylist and taking care of your hair= length.

I totally agree!

That was the biggest mistake I made for my hair. I totally depended on my stylist, but only when I saw her every 6 weeks. My stylist NEVER gave me any kind of advice on how to care of my hair in between visits. I only did one thing right, and that was trying to minimize my heat usage, but I still fell pitifully short. Since I never cared for my hair properly in between visits, my hair didn't grow as long as I had hoped, just past my shoulders. For my ignorance, I deserve a few of these
:spank: :spank: :spank: :lol:

Depending on a stylist solely for healthy hair and growth could be detrimential!

tenderheaded

I'd like a stylist to respect me. Then, I'd like one who is knowledgeable about healthy hair practices and gives products recs. In 15 years I've only gotten one product rec, and that was for a $15 can of oil sheen:eek:

balisi

I'm very interested in this as well, especially since I am a hairstylist and consider myself extremely trustworthy, as do my most faithful clients. My clients come first, plain and simple. I don't push trims or expensive products, but I do make recommendations based on each individual client's hair needs. I give them styling and care options, take time to educate them and I'm always open to questions. I don't currently have many clients with long hair, mainly because I am still building my business as a new stylist (less than one year), but I do claim clients with hair in very good condition since that is more important than length.

I've had more than enough stylists who did not treat my hair properly so I know what it's like. Just last week I had one of my co-stylists color and style my hair. She did everything great, except for one thing: she was way too rough when detangling. I had to do it myself.

PaperClip

This is interesting because I just found out today that my hairdresser is moving back to my state! Yay! This is a hairdresser that I not only trust, but I sincerely care about her because she cared about me first! (yes, I'm high maintenance on the friendship tip!)

In addition to having superior hairstyling skills, she earned my trust by being on time, never having to wait for her, she's courteous, helpful and patient when I ask 50 million questions about my hair over and over again. She made me feel so special. She always encouraged me to care for myself and getting my hair done is part of the pampering experience.

Also, prior to transitioning to natural and LCHF, I did absolutely NOTHING to my hair between salon visits other than tie it up at night. I had a weekly standing appointment. I let her put permanent color on my hair (which I had never done before). My hair was SO pretty and it was at its best when she did my hair...and even when I wanted to transition to natural, she was one of my biggest supporters. When she changed salons, it was not a second thought that I would go with her. I went from going to a high-end salon in the mall in the 'burbs to a hole-in-the-wall beauty shop in the 'hood and I got the same service from her, although the environment at the new place irked the mess out of me.

And it wasn't about money for her, because when I got laid off of my job, she did my hair at NO CHARGE. NO CHARGE... and this went on for a while.

I've gone through a lot of stylists down through the years. Most of them meant well, but until I met this hairdresser, I didn't know that the hair stylist/client relationship could be such a blessing.

Interestingly, now that she's coming back and my hair is natural now, I hope she's going to expand her skills to include natural hair care (without heat or chemicals)....

blackbarbie

RelaxerRehab said:
This is interesting because I just found out today that my hairdresser is moving back to my state! Yay! This is a hairdresser that I not only trust, but I sincerely care about her because she cared about me first! (yes, I'm high maintenance on the friendship tip!)

In addition to having superior hairstyling skills, she earned my trust by being on time, never having to wait for her, she's courteous, helpful and patient when I ask 50 million questions about my hair over and over again. She made me feel so special. She always encouraged me to care for myself and getting my hair done is part of the pampering experience.

Also, prior to transitioning to natural and LCHF, I did absolutely NOTHING to my hair between salon visits other than tie it up at night. I had a weekly standing appointment. I let her put permanent color on my hair (which I had never done before). My hair was SO pretty and it was at its best when she did my hair...and even when I wanted to transition to natural, she was one of my biggest supporters. When she changed salons, it was not a second thought that I would go with her. I went from going to a high-end salon in the mall in the 'burbs to a hole-in-the-wall beauty shop in the 'hood and I got the same service from her, although the environment at the new place irked the mess out of me.

And it wasn't about money for her, because when I got laid off of my job, she did my hair at NO CHARGE. NO CHARGE... and this went on for a while.

I've gone through a lot of stylists down through the years. Most of them meant well, but until I met this hairdresser, I didn't know that the hair stylist/client relationship could be such a blessing.

Interestingly, now that she's coming back and my hair is natural now, I hope she's going to expand her skills to include natural hair care (without heat or chemicals)....

Girl you had it GOOOD! That is a good feeling to know that you're not just another $$$ to a stylist. My old stylist in MS was really good too. She always did things that were in the best interest of her hair and even sometimes when i begged for relaxers (at 8 weeks) she would make me wait a few weeks (i was stretching and didn't even know it!). She was always on time with appts. and really listened to what I wanted, but still respectfully gave her professional opinion.

For me to trust a stylist completely (although I did trust the Dominican lady to clip my ends last week and she did a good job), I wouldn't say that it's something that would just happen, but it would have to occur over a period of time. For example, I went to the Dom. salon and let them shampoo a few times and i felt comfortable enough with the service (b/c the stylist was telling me EVERYTHING she put in my hair and made me feel very comfortable) that I went back to let them clip my ends.

However, before I let them do a chemical treatment, I would have to still go to them over a period of time to get an overall feel for the total services the stylist offers. (consultation, level of professionalism, comfortability, trustworthiness, knowledge level, etc.)

...............sorry for rambling...

Trini"T"

RelaxerRehab said:

That was like...so beautiful man:cry: You are sooo lucky to have found her:).

To answer the question, I would only trust a stylist that follows hair rules similar to LHCF's and who actually cares about my hair. Also, she can not have an attitude cuz she can't be taking out her outside problems on my hair:naughty: Oh and her own hair has to be on point as well:yep:

Trini"T"

balisi said:
I'm very interested in this as well, especially since I am a hairstylist and consider myself extremely trustworthy, as do my most faithful clients. My clients come first, plain and simple. I don't push trims or expensive products, but I do make recommendations based on each individual client's hair needs. I give them styling and care options, take time to educate them and I'm always open to questions. I don't currently have many clients with long hair, mainly because I am still building my business as a new stylist (less than one year), but I do claim clients with hair in very good condition since that is more important than length.

I've had more than enough stylists who did not treat my hair properly so I know what it's like. Just last week I had one of my co-stylists color and style my hair. She did everything great, except for one thing: she was way too rough when detangling. I had to do it myself.
:lol::lol:I love how you always make sure we know that you're one of the good guys... and I believe you:) However, you're so faaaar away from me:(. Why don't you move to NYC, girl! In any case if I'm ever in Atlanta, I'll look you up!

HermioneWeasley

tenderheaded said:
I'd like a stylist to respect me. Then, I'd like one who is knowledgeable about healthy hair practices and gives products recs. In 15 years I've only gotten one product rec, and that was for a $15 can of oil sheen:eek:

Bingo. Don't treat me like ish when I'm spending my money and my time. I also need a stylist to listen to me. If I say no trim this time, then don't suck your teeth, roll your eyes, curse me out in another language or tell me how bad my hair is.

I just tried Honeydew salon in Philly and the hairdresser recommended to me, Luz, was fabulous. I've been playing around with getting layers because my one-length hair makes my face look chubbier when I wear it down, but I didn't want to walk out jacked up. Luz was so knowledgable, sweet and easy-going that I trusted her with the scissors. And when I started to chicken out, she didn't get attitude and said that it was fine and we could do it whenever I wanted. That's the sort of hairdresser that appeals to me - one without her own agenda whose sole objective isn't to do as many heads as humanly possible in one day. I want individual treatment, expert advice and good service.

balisi

iiBlackBarbieii said:
:lol::lol:I love how you always make sure we know that you're one of the good guys... and I believe you:) However, you're so faaaar away from me:(. Why don't you move to NYC, girl! In any case if I'm ever in Atlanta, I'll look you up!
:lol: Yes girl, it's a personal mission of mine to show that not all stylists are stupid, lazy, money-hungry, scissor happy heifers with jacked up hair who are envious of clients with longer thicker hair than theirs. Can't move back to NYC but do let me know if you're ever in my "neck of the woods."

SaintLuxe

HermioneWeasley said:
Bingo. Don't treat me like ish when I'm spending my money and my time. I also need a stylist to listen to me. If I say no trim this time, then don't suck your teeth, roll your eyes, curse me out in another language or tell me how bad my hair is.

I just tried Honeydew salon in Philly and the hairdresser recommended to me, Luz, was fabulous. I've been playing around with getting layers because my one-length hair makes my face look chubbier when I wear it down, but I didn't want to walk out jacked up. Luz was so knowledgable, sweet and easy-going that I trusted her with the scissors. And when I started to chicken out, she didn't get attitude and said that it was fine and we could do it whenever I wanted. That's the sort of hairdresser that appeals to me - one without her own agenda whose sole objective isn't to do as many heads as humanly possible in one day. I want individual treatment, expert advice and good service.

Hermione,

so glad you were pleased w/Luz! she is best! i don't think that i would go anywhere else in Philly. i know your hair looks great. i'm going back this Thurs for a blowout:)

ps-got your message, sorry i responded so late...been superbusy w/work!

Barbara

Princess
I would trust a stylist who has clients that have been with them for years and have healthy hair. I would consider it a plus if he or she has a client or two with hair at the length I am trying to achieve. QUOTE=tffy2004;1609616]

:bdance: Also, a referral from someone with the above mentioned criteria helps a lot. :superbanana:

Last edited:

MizAvalon

I would trust a stylist who has clients that have been with them for years and have healthy hair. I would consider it a plus if he or she has a client or two with hair at the length I am trying to achieve.

I agree with this and what most of the other ladies have said. Be on time, be courteous and professional. Make me feel like a PERSON and not just some head of hair that you're trying to get in and out so you can make more money.