what would you do?

adrienne0914

my hairdresser was hurt really bad in a car accident and won't be back to work for i don't know how long. it's getting to the point where i'm starting to lose more hair (whole strands) when i comb because of all the new growth. so here are the choices:

<ul type="square"> [*] would you take a chance on someone else (the one that did my hair last did a good job)? [*] would you do your own retouch at home (i've done them in the past)?[*] would you wait for her to come back? [/list]

adrienne

G

I think I'd either do it at home (how did that work out for you?) b/c I do mine @ home all the time. I don't trust anyone else, with a chemical, coming near MY PRECIOUS! I've had bad experiences w/stylists.

Armyqt

Adrienne, if your hair is breaking, then it's time to relax. Since you must do this now, I would to say to do it yourself. You've done it before and afterall, you KNOW you can trust yourself! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

sweetcocoa

I agree with everyone else. I don't trust anyone with chemicals(when I used to relax...someone overprocessed me really bad) near my hair. You know your hair better than anyone else.

diva4life

Adrienne,
If you are apprehensive about doing it yourself why don't you get someone you trust to oversee your application process. In other words, your mother or another gf to watch as you apply it to make sure you're not overlapping, to help you with the back, and to check your head after you rinse to make sure you have it all rinsed out. You certainly can't wait on something like this, and I believe with a little help, you can do just a good a job as your stylist did, even better because of the extra care you are going to take with your own hair. Don't wait, do it soon.

hairfanatic

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
would you take a chance on someone else (the one that did my hair last did a good job)?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would try this one since you said the person did a good job. Was she or he trained by your beautician? If not, tell the person exactly what you want or go see how they are doing others hair that way, if you don't like what you are seeing you can make a better judgement call and do it yourself.

Tracy

If the person you had last time did a good job I would certainly go to them again. A simple reminder of your preferences and keeping close eye on her should do the trick. I would go to the person who did a good job before. But I am personally VERY adverse to self application of relaxers and I certainly wouldn't wait if your hair is telling you not to.

My fingers are crossed for you chica..... /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Kitkat

I have self-relaxed in the past and recently started going to a stylist whom I trust. I am definitely a proponent of going to a hairdresser. The key words here are someone whom you can trust to not overprocess, or 'trim' 6 inches, or the like. Adrienne, if this stylist did a good job before, I would go to her again. And I agree with the other posters that you should let her know exactly what you want. Since your hair is breaking from the new growth, you should go ASAP to protect that lovely mane!

Eyvonne7131

Well it sounds like you are real ready for a touch up. I totally understand how you feel about trusting someone to do your hair, however if my hair was as long as yours I would not try to do it myself...I would just have the last person do it until my regular stylist got better. /images/graemlins/grin.gif <font color="red"> </font color>

G

I'd go to the stylist who did such a good job last time. I tip my hat to anyone who can relax her own hair, but it's something I wouldn't even think about attempting myself. I think that in your case especially your hair's length and thickness might make self-relaxing a very tricky undertaking.

rayne

Adrienne, since you've done them successfully in the past I would say to do it yourself. You've come too far to trust a stranger to do it.

uniquev11

Unless you really feel that you can handle your hair at this length, I think you should go back to the stylist that did a good job before.
Since you wait a while between touch-ups, you would probably only have to go to this stylist once or twice.

NYCchild

A. sorry to hear about ya hairdresser - i pray for her speedy recovery and health.
if and when my hair gets to ya length and health, i am not gona trust myself to relax it as i do now. so i would go to the last person and make it very clear they'd betta be careful and do another good job /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Be blessed!

henrilou

Adrienne. Thanks for your good advice and support lately...

1. Salon. But TALK with her first about your fear of overprocessing. If she's willing to give you some time to talk that's a good sign.
DO NOT BE AFRAID to walk away, if she brushes you off or if you do not get a good feeling.
2. I like that idea of doing it yourself with your mom/goodfriend as supervisor. That probably would be safe with really careful application...

adrienne0914

thanks for all the advice, ladies! i actually seriously considered doing it myself, but i knew i'd have to wait until the weekend and didn't want to. also, the last time i did it was probably 7-8 years ago when my hair was short. i'd be sick if i jacked up my own stuff. ya know?

so i called the girl that did my hair last time. i already knew that she used Affirm because we discussed that when she did my braids in july and flat ironed last month. i just wasn't sure how careful she would be with application. we talked at length, and based on that i went to get my hair done yesterday.

i am SO pleased with the results! i had absolutely no burning or discomfort. she did the back first, then rinsed and neutralized. then she did the front the same way. she was really careful about not overlapping too.

she also gave me a little trim. i knew i was in the right chair when i said "how much? about 1/4"?" and she responded, "that much?" lol! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

adrienne

p.s. thanks for the well wishes for my original stylist. i'll pass them along. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

rayne

I'm glad your satified with the results /images/graemlins/grin.gif So, you're saying that she did half of your hair at a time? I've never heard of that before. Did she do it like that because it's so long??? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

adrienne0914

rayne, that's exactly what i'm saying. she did the back then the front. i had never had it done that way either, but i definitely think it was better. she did it like that because of my concern over the psoriasis and using a lye relaxer for the first time. it turned out great. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

thanks, lshevonne! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

adrienne

BlkMane

Adrienne-- I'm glad you had a great salon experience! That's wonderful. I've had my hair relaxed the way you described by Dominicans. The "old school" Dominicans relax that way (in sections, rinsing out a section before moving on) when they use lye relaxers. Now days, the younger stylists don't usually do that, but every once in a while you can come across a stylist that does.

BTW- I was looking at your album and "OH, MY GOD!!" you have had tremendous growth! What is YOUR regimen? Do you take supplements or what?

diva4life

Adrienne,
Girrrrrl, your hair is gorgeous! I saw your latest pics and am excited because I am moving back to Affirm myself. I wanted to ask how often you flat iron your hair and what else your routine consists of. How do you love the Affirm so far. You know, I'm so sure you do, that the Keracare line is the companion line for the relaxer. I think it's a little more pricey, but worth it. I haven't had a relaxer for 10 weeks, a record for me and I can't wait any longer. BTW, where can I get the caruso curlers (?) you mentioned some time ago?

LondonDiva

Adrienne,

I'm glad you had a good hair experience this week. I would be a regualr salon visitor if it wasn't for the hair horror stories that put me off.

Is this the first time you've used a lye relaxer? Can you feel/notice the difference between the two in your hair?

skegeesmb

I would relax again at home. When I was relaxed I did it myself for years. Since you've done it before you probably won't have any problems.

Kitkat

Glad that you're pleased with your experience Adrienne! The key is finding a stylist you can trust.

adrienne0914

armyqt, she used the Affirm regular. because of the way it was applied, it wasn't a problem. i wanted mild though cuz i was scurred.

blkmane, my regimen is basically doing very little but the bun and drawstring ponytail. i put curl activator all over my hair, Vaseline on my ends and a sandwich baggie over that. this has really helped. i'll email it to you.

i recently revised my vitamin regime based on recommendations by jade. here's what i'm taking now:

- Central Vite Multi Vitamin (1/ day)
- Nature's Bounty C &amp; E, 500mg of each Combo (1/ day)
- Natrol Vegetal Silica (1/ day)
- Country Life Biotin, 5mg (1/ day)
- Trimedica MSM capsule (1000mg, 2-3/day)
- Vitamin Shoppe Evening Primrose Oil, 1300mg (1/day)
- Vitamin Shoppe Pantothenic Acid (B5), 500mg (2-3/day)

diva4life, you don't have to tell me, girl. i am now a HUGE fan of Avlon's products. i had already been using KeraCare for quite some time. so i'm not surprised that i liked the way my perm turned out. i rarely flat iron my hair, or even wear it down for that matter—maybe 5 days out of a month, if that. i think this is another thing that has helped me get closer to my goal. oh yeah, you can get the Caruso Rollers at Sally's Beauty. online, check out: Tenderheaded Accessories

londondiva, yes this is my first lye relaxer in about 15 years of relaxing. talk about a creature of habit. lol! i don't notice any difference in my hair at all. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

skeegeesmb, i just chickened out because the last time i did my own retouch, my hair was about 3" long. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

kitkat, you're right. a good stylist is really important, and i would hate to injure someone for cutting off more than i want. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

thanks, niambura! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

adrienne