What would you have said in this situation?

MrsHdrLe

Your hair is beautiful and don't be offended b/c that's a testamony to the health, shine, and thickness of your own real hair.
I think ole' girl was trying to acknowledge that your hair is exceptionally beauitful. Sometimes white just don't know how to say what they mean in a tactful way, but you handled it beautifully.

briana87

I have to agree with everyone else and say that your hair is BEAUTIFUL and your response was on point. I'm glad to hear that you were respectful considering the circumstances.

I think that if more non-LHCFers (is that a word?) could see the amazing progress so many of us have made a lot of these "black women can't have healthy hair" myths would be busted. When I first came across this site I saw so many pictures of REAL healthy hair (long, short, relaxed, natural, etc) and I was immediately hooked.

Yeah it makes me mad when people say stuff like that but let's keep on proving them wrong!

toyagurl

I remember being in the mall in high school with a friend of mind who had BSL wave textured hair. We were in the record store when a BW comes out to her commenting on how pretty my friend's hair was. My friend replied "thank-you." The lady then asks "where did you get your weave done?" My friend stated "this is my hair." The lady was like "yeah right!"

I tell this story to say that if you have nice healthy hair, a lot of people assume it's not yours...which is a dumb assumption.

I think she would not go there again with me because of the awkwardness this time. I mean it was straight up uncomfortable when she made the comment about black women's hair. I made sure to pause too so that she knew that I was thinking of what to say to something like that.

Bene

Well, I see it like this. Her daughter had the sense to realize that her mother had stuck her foot in her mouth. I take this as proof that people will slowly come to their senses as time goes by.

As for the last little gem from the older lady, well, how else are people supposed to learn about each other unless they start a dialogue? I would have responded "It's just a matter of knowing how to take care of it" The lady obviously didn't mean any harm. She wanted to give a compliment and was honestly making a statement about what she's noticed. Tons of threads around here, I see women coming here and saying roughly, "Very few black women outside of this forum know how to take care of their hair". Countless threads about wanting to tell someone about this forum, or wanting to give advice to someone who is making herself bald.

I think you handled it well.

Last edited:

toyagurl

I have to agree with everyone else and say that your hair is BEAUTIFUL and your response was on point. I'm glad to hear that you were respectful considering the circumstances.

I think that if more non-LHCFers (is that a word?) could see the amazing progress so many of us have made a lot of these "black women can't have healthy hair" myths would be busted. When I first came across this site I saw so many pictures of REAL healthy hair (long, short, relaxed, natural, etc) and I was immediately hooked.

Yeah it makes me mad when people say stuff like that but let's keep on proving them wrong!

I know right! Don't these folks have access to the Intarnets?! Thanks you guys.

toyagurl

Well, I see it like this. Her daughter had the sense to realize that her mother had stuck her foot in her mouth. I take this as proof that people will slowly come to their senses as time goes by.

As for the last little gem from the older lady, well, how else are people supposed to learn about each other unless they start a dialogue? I would have responded "It's just a matter of knowing how to take care of it" The lady obviously didn't mean any harm. She wanted to give a compliment and was honestly making a statement about what she's noticed. Tons of threads around here, I see women coming here and saying roughly, "Very few black women outside of this forum know how to take care of their hair". Countless threads about wanting to tell someone about this forum, or wanting to give advice to someone who is making herself bald.

I think you handled it well.

You make some great points but ummmm....is that all of your hair JK. I would be :happydance: everywhere if I had your hair! BEAUTIFUL!