What you need to know before you get your hair braided.

NaturalKMichelle

Well, I got my hair braided a couple of days ago and when I was there I was thinking...what would make this experience better? Well, here is my list of what I think will do it...

1. Confidence - You have to stand up for yourself. If not, they will do what ever they want to do to your hair. They don't care. Hey, look at most of their heads. No disrespect, but every braiding salon I have been to most either don't have a hairline or don't have any length. I'm just saying...

2. Wide tooth comb - They think they can rip through your hair with that little a** comb. Everyone don't get a perm before they get braids. Make sure you properly detangle and blow dry your hair before you get there. I try not to let them have any reason to use any type of heat source on my hair. I would rather do it myself because I know I will be gentle. Also, don't let them part your hair with those duck bill clip. Those things pull your hair out.

3. Satin srunchies/Ouchless bands - Don't let them use rubber bands to hold your hair in place. Then, they are not careful when they pull them out.

4. Safer products - Sometimes they use those sprays or vaseline which is full of petroleum and mineral oil. For me, I have acne prone skin, so I don't want all that stuff in my hair because it runs in my face and cause breakouts. So, take the things you think will be better on your hair, skin and scalp.

5. Hair - If you are one of those ladies that get the itches from the hair that is being used, go ahead of time and buy your hair and use the method on http://www.growafrohairlong.com/braidreg.html to remove the alkaline base from the hair. I think this can only be done with kanekalon hair but reseach to make sure. Also there are other tips that would ensure you keep the growth you have already attained on this site.

6. Mirror - So you can see what the heck they are doing. Hair stylist love to keep you away from the mirror. If they are confident in what they are doing, a mirror couldn't possible intimidate them. Don't be ashamed to ask questions, that is your head.

So these are a few things I think that would make the experience better and make one happier with the outcome. So what do you ladies/gentlemen think?

naturalmanenyc

Great tips. I agree. I like my braider but she cannot detangle my hair. I took the comb out of her hands last time and just detangled my own hair. Maybe she is not gentle because she has locks and she does not remember or know how to detangle natural hair?

bellebebe

and moisturize moisturize moisturize!!!!! If you don't, you will suffer major breakage from dryness. Don't forget about your scalp as well, and when you're taking your hair out, make sure you comb all of the shedded hair out. If not, you will suffer from dread syndrome lol right after the wash. Trust me, I know and that's why I don't braid my hair anymore.

honeybuni84

I would like to mention braid size/tightness.

This is one of the key things that can damage your hair... While micro braids are cute, they can RUIN your hair when done too small and too tight. Braid partings do not need to be microscopic. I like them to use about a pinky width of my hair. I also do not let them braid my very edges... I have seen them try to grab little nubs of hair/skin combo, that i had to quickly veto.

Also make sure they arent too tight. If you can see your thoughts through your head, then they are too tight. Braids should be firm and secure, not pulling. Extra tension will cause your hair to come out. I know, i am still nursing my temples back to health after braids from 2005..