What's a quick fix for (suspected) protein overload?

*Muffin*

My humble suggestion would be to stay away from protein for a while (maybe a week or two) and stick with products that enhance moisture and stay away from oils that perhaps enhance the effects of protein (avocado oil is great, but contains protein). I know some natural things that impart moisture are supposed to be honey and/or castor oil. My hair hates castor oil, personally, but it loves honey and I often put a little bit in my DC mixtures. Some other natural things that seem to enhance moisture a lot are hair products that contain shea butter, aloe vera, and wheat germ oil (I like Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner). Coconut oil softens my hair a lot as well, but it is also said to prevent protein loss as well, so I'm not sure if it would be great to use in cases of protein overload. Hope this helped :).

Bluetopia

you know what.....I PRAY to God I never get protein overload again, I had the mutha of all protein overloads, I TRULY thought I would lose my hair it was litterally clumpy and hard and stuck together , for MONTHS.

But thinking about it, I do think I would go ahead and try the salt treatment if it were to happen again, because I do remember my hair needing oil after YES, but man my hair really came back with a protein treatment, even better than before.....so I know it took some protein out too

I used it under 'normal hair conditions' so I really could feel just what it did

I'm going through exactly what you've described right now....below is my post about what happened when i went to the salon today after a 26wk stretch and tried to remove protein laden Phyto from my regimen :look:

---------

texlaxed today....i went in for a mizani touch up but my stylist didn't read the appt sheet and accidentally put Phyto in my hair again out of habit :ohwell:

6 months of stretching, fawning over mizani reviews and growing out my phyto hair....only to have her reapply it?!!!!:lachen: i honestly have to laugh to keep from crying and hope the Universe did this for a reason.

my hair felt like hay after my touch up and now im gonna have to go into moisture overload to make up for her oversight. she's a great stylist but by the time she tried to talk me into a trim and i was like "no ma'am!". i'd had enough and was ready to get out of there.

on the bright side....I FINALLY REACHED APL!!!!! :weird:

Attachments

• Lastof09 071b.jpg
    Lastof09 071b.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 4