What's in your moisture mix?

Divine Inspiration

Hey ladies!!!

I know a lot of us, both relaxed and natural, use moisture mixes in order to ease the moisturizing process and evenly distribute the moisturizer using a spritz bottle. I think some of us are more comfortable mixing our own concoctions for daily use that include a variety of products/ingredients that we need for moisture/growth as opposed to layering products or using one.

So last night, as I was spraying my own moisture mix throughout my hair, I wondered, "What is everybody using in their moisture mix?" This question will probably get as many different responses as "How do you CO wash?" so it will be interesting and probably helpful for ladies looking to mix their own.

My moisture mix ingredients vary depending on what I feel my hair needs at the time and what I've got available.

Right now it has:
Distilled water
Wild Growth oil (usually jojoba or grapeseed but I'm out right now)
DDGB
Aloe vera gelly (2-3 dollops)

Over the Christmas holidays, I made one that had distilled water, jojoba oil, and aloe vera gelly, and it was very moisturizing and it still held by braidout without frizz. I was pleased.:) :)

Anyhoo, what's in YOUR bottle?

Divine Inspiration

tishee said:
divine

do you mind telling me what brand of aloe vera jelly you use? tia

Sure. It's Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly. I get it from Whole Foods, and it costs $3-$4.

I love it b/c it's so versatile and handy. I use it for blemishes(heals them and prevents scarring), cuts(heals the wound, prevents scarring), hair...everything. I like to mix it with my leave-in when I'm doing a braidout...it makes my hair soft and creates shine. It also holds the style and keeps frizz away. And like I said, I like to put it in my moisture mix too.

secretdiamond

great thead!! I was thinking about starting a mix the other day since I know that some ladies like DI do it. I really liked the spray bottle idea for evenly distrbuting product. This thread would be great to help me start.

divinefavor

Is it okay to have a little protein in the mix?

ETA: I normally have any conditioner that I don't use in my regular wash, distilled water, evoo, jojoba and sweet almond oils. Just recently I started adding a little of the MNT conditioner. I'm wondering if it's too much protein.

DI - I may have to go to Whole Foods and check out the aloe vera jelly while looking for Desert Essence skincare line you recommended. :)

Last edited:
P

patient1

Hi All:

My moisture mix is usually either a kicked up commercial product or my own homemade mix.

For instance, daily doctor kicked up with extra glycerin, aloe gel (from trader joe's), and a base oil (coconut, evoo, etc) and essential oils (rosemary, sage, and a citrus like orange or grapefruit).

When I make it from scratch, it's filtered water, about a half cup of glycerin, aloe, a tablespoon or two of a suave conditioner or oyin honey hemp, olive oil, vitamin e oil, and essential oils. I have some nag champa fragrance oil I like to add in as well.

No measuring. Just eyeballing it and spraying the mix into my hand until it feels right to the touch.

p1

eta: usually add a touch of honey in there as well.

Divine Inspiration

divinefavor said:
Is it okay to have a little protein in the mix?

ETA: I normally have any conditioner that I don't use in my regular wash, distilled water, evoo, jojoba and sweet almond oils. Just recently I started adding a little of the MNT conditioner. I'm wondering if it's too much protein.

DI - I may have to go to Whole Foods and check out the aloe vera jelly while looking for Desert Essence skincare line you recommended. :)

I think it's ok to have protein if that's what your hair is asking for. I sometimes make a mix that has some Keraphix in it if my hair is breaking or shedding excessively. The daily application of the VERY diluted protein seems to make my hair stronger and softer simultaneously.

And girl, Whole Foods ought to be paying me advertising fees for all this pub they're getting on my behalf!:lol: But really, the gelly and the Desert Essence AND the Earth Science is ALL good stuff...plus I can get Giovanni Direct there if need be. The BEST thing about purchasing anything from Whole Foods is that if you're unhappy with the product for any reason, you can return it!!!! So I don't mind going out on a limb with my purchases there b/c I can always get my money back or exchange it for organic fruits & veggies :lol:

morehairplease

Divine Inspiration said:
Sure. It's Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly. I get it from Whole Foods, and it costs $3-$4.

I love it b/c it's so versatile and handy. I use it for blemishes(heals them and prevents scarring), cuts(heals the wound, prevents scarring), hair...everything. I like to mix it with my leave-in when I'm doing a braidout...it makes my hair soft and creates shine. It also holds the style and keeps frizz away. And like I said, I like to put it in my moisture mix too.

thanks Divine!

frankie

I have a mix of the following:

*Pantene Pro-V Conditioning Wrap & Set Lotion
*S-Curl "No Drip" Activator Moisturizer
*Water

It's probably about 2/3 Pantene, 1/3 S-Curl diluted with water.

I use this to spray my hair before braidouts...along with a couple squirts of my Surge Plus 14 and a few drops of serum. I also spritz my hair with it when I'm slicking it back into a ponytail/bun....or whenever it feels like it needs some moisture.

Marseeya

I'm currently mixing: Daily Doctor, Sta Sof Fro, Infusium 23 (generic) and a few drops of Peppermint extract.
I mist with this mixture every morning before Protective Styling.

divinefavor

Divine Inspiration said:
I think it's ok to have protein if that's what your hair is asking for. I sometimes make a mix that has some Keraphix in it if my hair is breaking or shedding excessively. The daily application of the VERY diluted protein seems to make my hair stronger and softer simultaneously.

And girl, Whole Foods ought to be paying me advertising fees for all this pub they're getting on my behalf!:lol: But really, the gelly and the Desert Essence AND the Earth Science is ALL good stuff...plus I can get Giovanni Direct there if need be. The BEST thing about purchasing anything from Whole Foods is that if you're unhappy with the product for any reason, you can return it!!!! So I don't mind going out on a limb with my purchases there b/c I can always get my money back or exchange it for organic fruits & veggies :lol:

:lol: I know that's right, girl!!!! Whole Foods need to give you a percentage of their earnings per share!

I didn't know that about Whole Foods, I'm going to have to make a visit this weekend!

sterry

Hello Ladies,

Water
I use a moisturizing conditioner
Emu Oil
Macadamia Nut Oil
Safflower Oil
JoJoba Oil
Cocoa butter oil
Mix and shake well in a spray bottle

Before I apply I warm it just a bit.

Nita81

Mine is pretty basic and boring Giovanni vitapro fusion and 2-3 large sqirts of hair oil (it's a muliti oil blend). I think I'll add a dash of MTG now.

Cheleigh

It varies, but generally: filtered water, aloe vera juice, glycerine, jojoba oil, avocado oil, peppermint, rosemary, sage EOs. Sometimes I add honey or a bit of a daily conditioner. I spritz usually twice daily.

Lusa

I have noticed that quite a few people add aloe vera gel in their spritzes, exactly what benefit does aloe vera gel/jelly have on one's hair?

carameldiva

glycerin/water/liquid aloe vera/eo

aloe vera has been a true hair saver for me. I have hard water and it literally stopped the dryness and breakage when i started adding this to my conditioners that i use for co-washes. Between it and the glycerin- my hair is much more softer and moisturized and growing at a faster rate.

Faith

In a 12 oz bottle:

Water 7oz
S-Curl (one in grey bottle) 4 oz
Safflower oil 1 oz
Surge 1 oz

ETA: I have aloe vera gel. I may have to add it to my next mix.

Last edited:

divinefavor

Divine Inspiration said:
Tishee, you're welcome!

Divine Favor, let me know what you think...don't go broke in there, it's easy to do! lol

I'm a produt junkie!:eek: I'm on a strict budget this week, so I pray that I can stick to it while I'm in there. :lol:

For those who use glycerin in your mixes, what are the benefits of glycerin?

Faith

divinefavor said:
I'm a produt junkie!:eek: I'm on a strict budget this week, so I pray that I can stick to it while I'm in there. :lol:

For those who use glycerin in your mixes, what are the benefits of glycerin?

It's a humectant. I have some vegetable glycerin which I have to use sometime. Make sure you add enough water though or it has the opposite effect and will dry your hair out.

divinefavor

Faith said:
It's a humectant. I have some vegetable glycerin which I have to use sometime. Make sure you add enough water though or it has the opposite effect and will dry your hair out.

Thanks, Faith!

Nanyanika

Three Mixes

1. Humectant moisturiser. contains Rose water, Glycerin, coconut oil, jojoba oil, flaxseed oil, Jamaican Honey.
2. Detangling conditioner contains, de-ionised water, rosewater, vo5 creamy freash peaches, glycerin, coconut oil.
3. Butter creme: Shea butter, cocoa butter, World of curl activator gel, coconut oil, jojoba oil.

theLovelyStyle

I mix HE LTR conditioner (love the way it smells)
Several drops of Hot 6 Oil (they have everything!)
Several drops of emu oil
And filtered water

Shake it up real good and spritz in the morning and before bed.

I usually wear buns/ps styles with this concoction and my hair feels amazingly soft all day and has a sheen to it. Usually my hair is dull looking, but this keeps my hair moisturized and shiny all day.

Tonight I put my hair in two braids with satin strips to see how a braidout will look in the morning.

winona

BTMS, Cetyl Alcohol, Monoi De Tahiti Oil, Roux 619 leave in, aloe vera (whole leaf), distilled water