What's the secret?

gn1g

I love to look at hair! Yesterday while I was in church I saw so many women with beautiful highlighted hair BSL and longer. Their hair was BONE straight and SILKY. I am pretty sure it was not a weave.

What techniques and products do you use to get flowing silky straight hair? What's your secret?

In particularly without heat. The first time I saw supergirls hair it looked like fine silk fabric. In which she said - try using serum.

Last edited:

TowsonGirl

Well, the way I get my hair straight is by rollersetting. I have details on what I do in my fotki in my "RollerWrap" album.

The way I do it involves little heat, but you can also opt not to use heat and get similar results. HTH!:)

Puddles

On Cloud 9
[SIZE=+1]Well the only way I can get silky straight hair is with heat. I shampoo and condition. Then I may blow dry or air dry...it depends on how much time I have. I don't apply any product...'cause I want bounce. Then I flat iron using my Maxiglide. My hair feels like silk when finished and the bounce and shine is unbelievable.

HTH
[/SIZE]

:)

LocksOfLuV

gn1g said:
I love to look at hair! Yesterday while I was in church I saw so many women with beautiful highlighted hair BSL and longer. Their hair was BONE straight and SILKY. I am pretty sure it was not a weave.

What techniques and products do you use to get flowing silky straight hair? What's your secret?

In particularly without heat. The first time I saw supergirls hair it looked like fine silk fabric. In which she said - try using serum.

Ditto on the serum. I must say that I do a good job getting my 4b hair to look like silk!:lol:

Here are my tips:
  • when flat ironing use small peices, no longer than an inch wide
  • go over the area more than once if you have to. so what, you are already using heat anyways so no big deal
  • add serum to WET hair before flat ironing (and or blowdrying)
  • Add more serum on to dry hair before flat ironing
  • no grease:nono: or heavy moisturizers, if you want to use them, wait until AFTERWARDS to access the need
  • wrapping helps seal in the silkiness
  • use quality products that have smoothing ingredients

Aquamarie

This is good information. I've always wanted to know this stuff. I think I will try this for a special occasion because it sounds like a lot of heat for my hair. Thanks ladies!!!

keluric

I just flat ironed my hair and I think it looks pretty silky (well.. at the roots, haha) and I achieved this by blowdrying with frizz ease downplay and wind-down.. these both made my blowdried hair VERY soft and smooth. Flat ironing was a breeze.. now if I can just get these ends to cooperate.. But my roots and everything are relaxer straight and I'm natural.

dlewis

Great thread, I'm using the Maxiglide in March and I want my hair bone straight to see just how long it is.

Puddles

On Cloud 9
Aquamarie said:
This is good information. I've always wanted to know this stuff. I think I will try this for a special occasion because it sounds like a lot of heat for my hair. Thanks ladies!!!

[SIZE=+1]You're right. For some it's a lot of heat for their hair. For others....their hair can handle the heat.

As for me.......mine can't. So I only flat iron twice a month. Sometimes only once. I'm going to do it tomorrow 'cause dh and I are going out. And like Lockosfluv said......I as well take very small pieces of hair then flat iron.
[/SIZE]:)

Puddles

On Cloud 9
dlewis said:
Great thread, I'm using the Maxiglide in March and I want my hair bone straight to see just how long it is.

[SIZE=+1]Off Topic....DLewis.....I love the color of your hair. Do you color it?[/SIZE]

nelli711

LocksOfLuV said:
Ditto on the serum. I must say that I do a good job getting my 4b hair to look like silk!:lol:

Here are my tips:
  • when flat ironing use small peices, no longer than an inch wide
  • go over the area more than once if you have to. so what, you are already using heat anyways so no big deal
  • add serum to WET hair before flat ironing (and or blowdrying)
  • Add more serum on to dry hair before flat ironing
  • no grease:nono: or heavy moisturizers, if you want to use them, wait until AFTERWARDS to access the need
  • wrapping helps seal in the silkiness
  • use quality products that have smoothing ingredients

I have to agree with what she said except for the wrapping part which I can't do to save my life