• My hair grows super slow

Votes: 74 14.6%
  • BOTH

Votes: 106 20.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SouthernTease

Purely for my own curiosity,
I wanted to know what women really think on this issue.

If you're stuck or have ever been stuck at a
particular length... what do you REALLY think your problem is?

Retention: I can't seem to keep the hair I grow (via breakage, excessive trimming, manipulation, heat, hair ends rubbing against clothes etc...).

Growth: My hair grows super slow.

Last edited:

silvergirl

back when i was previously relaxed, it was a retention problem, i used way to much heat, never moisturized(which relaxed hair needs), didnt really care if i was raking a comb through it, cause at that time i wasnt really focused on length. so my hair never got past shoulder length.

it wasnt till a horrible weave disaster left me with 3 inches of hair that i decided to look for healthy hair care habits, that my hair has grown to lengths i never thought id have :)

berry87

Retention. :ohwell: I get very lazy and sometimes moisturize my hair once a day or every two days. Dusting too often Is another problem :wallbash:

chebaby

at one point it may have been retention because i was doing so much to my hair that it was breaking left and right. but now i have been washing, deep conditioning, co washing and moisturizing (2x daily) so i think my hair grows slow. i due for a touch up thursday so we'll see then if i've gained any growth.

JustKiya

My hair grows slow. Slow. Sllloooowww. I keep most of it (cuz I get a lil twitchy when I see breakage and I stop touching my hair) but yeah - it's a slow grower.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
My hair grows ridiculously slow. W/o growth aids, I get about an inch every 3 months :(

SimpleKomplexity

I think my problem is retention. I think my hair has grown a lot since November when I first joined this site. Technically I have been on here for about 7 months. Therefore m hair should have grown about 3.5 inches. I should be at APL right now...I don't think I am. My problem is retention and I don't know what I'm doing. I've stopped going to the salon soo Noooo trims for me. I've done a lil dusting here and there but nothing big. I think i use TOO much moisturizer for my fine tresses. I use about a quarter size of Cantu break free on each section (four section) and seal with about a dime of olive oil. Maybe my hair doesn't need all of that. I'm going to start using a sdme amount of moisturizer and a same amount of oil

Kurlee

My hair is pretty average in the growth department, but its very dry, so retention is an issue. My hair thrives when i leave it alone

Seraphina

I *think* the problem has been retention for me. I'm terribly prone to splits and I just recently learned how to really take care of my hair. Plus, my hair was relatively long as a child. Since I went natural three years ago, shrinkage has been a big issue in being able to recognize my growth. I know it's getting longer, but I can't really tell :ohwell:.

changedlife

I think retention had been the issue, and I am excited now that I am natural :drunk: I think I will retain most of my hair since there is no chemicals to work against it.

jaded_faerie

When I was relaxed...my hair grew pretty fast...it was definitely retention that I had an issue with. lack of moisture, handling hair carelessly & unnecessary combing/touching of the hair

Finewine

I used to have a problem with retention, but since I stopped trimming/cutting, my hair has been on a roll. I just S&D now. :grin:

TLC1020

My hair grows just fine, I think its more of retention and keeping all the hair w/o shedding. If I retained all my length I'd probably be BSL or MBL all ready.

Ericka

My problem with retaining length is my love for scissors. I love to get trims which turns into about an inch or so every 2 or 3 months. I'm trying to go about 4 or 5 months with out a trim and just dust my ends. I hope I can make it.

kittie43

My problem seems to be retention. I am still attempting to perfect the protein/moisture balance. I seem to err on both sides and when I get breakage I err on the opposite side. So it is like a seesaw for me.

LadyEuphoria007

I voted for not retaining the length. I've trimed about 2 inches off my hair since my BC. I got an inch of growth one month after my BC and trimmed it all off, then at Month 2 the same damn thing.

I've been itching to trim but I've warded off the scissors for now.

I must like 3 inches of hair :rolleyes:

Mimi22

defintely retention. My hair grows, but heat and excessive combing are my vice :wallbash:

I took the initiative to avoid heat and combing everyday and i've been able to retain some length :yep:

Ramya

retention for me. I'll let it grow like 4 inches and then cut 2-3 of them off. I'd probably retain more hair if I wasn't addicted to reshaping my hair all the time. :ohwell:

GoingNatural

Previously it was retention. After several at home dye jobs my hair finally gave up on me. Dry, brittle, over manipulated and chemically-treated hair. I get "average" growth.

winnettag

I have great retention...thank goodness, because my hair grows uber slow. I swear it only grows 2 inches a year. It's so infuriating! :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Aggie

None of the above for me. My hair is growing very well and I am retaining the length as well. It could be because I'm eating a lot better than I was before, exercising and taking very good care of my hair. Thank you my LHCF sistas for all the help you've shared in these threads. Because of you, I know now how to take care of my lovely new tresses.

lilsparkle825

retention...my hair grows fast but between cutting it, skipping days on end without moisturizing, and not protecting my ends i have lost a lot. but i learned my lesson...DCing, castor oil, and baggying are my friends now.

::hugs kenra mc:: you are my new bestie :heart2:

AtlantaJJ

Well it used to be retention and growth until I started to care for my hair then it was retention until I dropped the relaxer. Now I have no problems...:clap: :grin:

ladybug71

Definitely retention. Seems like I have been stuck at SL since FOREVER. :( I get lots of new growth, but I have problems w/protective styling (don't do it nearly enough), I shouldn't wear my hair down as much, I was lax on daily moisturizing, and I have crazy shedding!

DozenRoses99

My problem used to be retention. Over 10 years ago when I stopped using a lot of heat, my hair started growing longer than it did before. My hair would grow to APL or BSL, but every year I would have to get it trimmed to SL or shorter because my ends were so split and dry. I think this was due to me using very drying products and lack of moisture.