Votes: 326 64.4%
  • My hair grows super slow

Votes: 74 14.6%
  • BOTH

Votes: 106 20.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CurlyMoo

I have problems with retention...but now that I'm detangling frequently I think I'll be ok. My shed hair kept getting tangled up with my other hair and that was causing unnecessary knots. I'm trying not to be so lazy about detangling and do it every time I wet my hair, which is every day.

So do you think that frequent detangling will get rid of knots and shed hair getting caught in knots? Because I have this bad. I constantly find hair that reaches mid back (I get really excited) then I realize that it's shed hair knotted to another strand. :sad: Sometimes I get double knots of two or three shed hairs attached to each other. :perplexed

crazydaze911

Sorry if this is a dupe and i posted before, i dont remember.

In any case, i have a problem with both. My hair ALL OVER my body grows super slow. Ive been colored many years ago and now im transitioning - so i've been able to see exactly how slow it grows in both instances.

I have a retention problem as well b/c i have HIH disease, but instead of always playing with my roots, i play with and curl my ends which leads to splits and knots :wallbash:. When i was younger it was REALLY bad, i used to actually put my hair in my mouth and RIP through it with my teeth like i was flossing! (yes, i know - DISGUSTING). Now its just my fingers i have to worry about, but still, its probably a big retention factor.

Kellum

My problem was retention. Either from breakage here and there or getting my hair trimmed ever 6 weeks. Since learning how to retain the hair that I grow, keeping my moisture/protein balance in check, and babying my ends with PS I don't have a problem now.

LAURENCE

The ends always knot up and literally snap off no matter how gentle I handle them. I can't even braid or twist my own hair(I'm natural) because the ends will knot up. Tried protein, moisture to no avail. The only thing that seems to help is adding extensions to the ends...but who wants to do that all the time...I'm considering BKT to strengthen the ends and hopefully retain them that way. We'll see...

msa

So do you think that frequent detangling will get rid of knots and shed hair getting caught in knots? Because I have this bad. I constantly find hair that reaches mid back (I get really excited) then I realize that it's shed hair knotted to another strand. :sad: Sometimes I get double knots of two or three shed hairs attached to each other. :perplexed

I just saw this, sorry for the late response.

I know for me getting out all the shed hair is KEY. Because I get those same super long strands you get and then realize it's all kinds of hair just knotted together.

IMO, there are two options. Keep your hair stretched out to avoid having to detangle and make it easier to get the shed hair out (JustKiya, Nonie, LuckysMom, and lots of other people do that). Or, detangle every single time your hair is out.

Keeping my hair braided under a wig is the easiest for me. I detangle as I'm braiding up, do everything in the braids, and don't detangle again until I redo the braids.

For the last few days I've been rinsing and pinning my hair in a way that doesn't let it shrink up completely. That works as well. I think the main point is to not let my hair shrink all the way up, like in a puff. Finger detangling is pretty easy when my hair is stretched out already.

In all, get the shed hair out often and don't let your hair shrink up completely and then neglect to detangle. It's been working for me so far.

JaszyFaye

For me it's retention. My mom always jokes around that I have the "good hair" in the family because I can cut it all off today and tomorrow it'll be back where I started. I have always had the problem of experimenting on my hair. For example when I was in high school my mom wouldn't let me color my hair so I mixed some perxiode and lemon juice put it in my hair and sat outside in the sun for a while. My hair turned out to be this cute auburn color but of course didn't last that long until it started to break.

destine2grow

My hair grows slow and now my hair is breaking. My hair always broke off because I didn't take care of it. Now I am and it is still breaking and its because I can't keep my hands out my hair!!!

Firstborn2

Stop frontin, you know me!
^^^ You aint never lied. My hair actually grows really well, it's the retention that is kicking my butt. This year I'm on a mission to retain 6" by the end of the year and that's with 2 dusting sessions.

BrooklynSouth

I can grow but my ends like to play tricks every few months. I have to quickly find a dry ends solution every once in a while.

crumbling_images

My hair grows super fast....as evident by how often I have to redo my braided hair extensions. My growth problem has to be retention. My ends are super dry as if my hair is not getting enough moisture while wearing the braids. If I can just figure out how to keep my hair super moist in braids, I think my growth problems would be over.

chavascandy

Mainly growth nor retention has been a problem for me but, since I've reached a certain length I can't retain the growth. My hair is breaking, shedding, ends thinning ,and all. These tattered ends have forced me to cut about one inch of hair.

P.S I wear protective style everyday.

chavascandy

Speaking of growth and retention.... Why is it that Men's Hair Seem to Grow FASTER and NEVER seem to BREAK.... I'm particularly talking about long hair'd brothers. They make me so jealous sometimes!!

Chevelure618

retention. growth has never been a problem. and I'm not sure that transitioning to natural would be the answer. It's the manipulation of this thick, dense, 4b hair into styles. If I were dreadlocked it would be past my butt by now.

Chevelure618

My hair grows super fast....as evident by how often I have to redo my braided hair extensions. My growth problem has to be retention. My ends are super dry as if my hair is not getting enough moisture while wearing the braids. If I can just figure out how to keep my hair super moist in braids, I think my growth problems would be over.

try UltraBlackHair Lotion Creme Moisturizer....it's the only thing that really moisturizes my hair and keeps it that way

amerAKAn_dream

Definitely retention. My hair and nails grow quickly, but because I never took care of my hair I have had a lot of setbacks. Now that I'm on LHCF, I'm going to do better with that.

nymane

Pre-LHCF it was definitely retention I was losing so much hair daily because I didn't use anything to keep it moist...NOTHING....and on wash day my hair was coming out in clumps especially since I was so rough with detangling (I also wore my hair out every day).

...and some how my hair still managed to reach APL (of course, it was damaged), but I never stayed APL for very long.

Any way now I don't have any problems with retention; I'm just enjoying my journey and trying my best to be patient.

Katherina

Before LHCF, I used to think that my hair just grew slowly. Now, I know that is not the case. It was breaking off at the rate it was growing! My hair grows around .5 inch per month, so that's a huge monthly trim! Now I know that my problem was retention pre-LHCF.

But since I joined this site, I don't have retention issues! I've learned what works for my hair. I know now to:

use a leave-in conditioner
DC after shampoo
moisturize when hair feels dry
do low manipulation styles
not let my hair dry with nothing on it in its natural state
search & destroy
seal ends
etc, etc, etc!

I still have heat damage on the ends from my last stylist trip over a year ago, but my hair doesn't break anymore like it used to. It hardly ever breaks, and for the first time, it's past APL WOO HOO!

(WL here I come!)

Tif392002

my hair grows about 3/4 to 1 inch a month... so i know im not a slow grower. it wasnt till about 4 months ago that i ran across the concept of retaining length.. so i should do pretty good...hair is a science i see.