What's with the fuzzy halo?

Fine 4s

So I was lazy (what's new?) ...

I first sectioned off my hair to wash, DC and twist. Started with the front and sides but did not finish the crown and nape (or some sections of). Since the completed twists were enough to cover the unfinished sections, guess what I did? :yep:
I've been rocking the same fuzzy style since last week which is...Gathered twists forming one chunky braid so shrunken that the ends curl right under the nape area. Cool. I usually wet the surface in the AM, slap on some shea butter, time my hair down with a scarf and off to work I go, slicking all the way...

So, nana comes around and says 'look at all those broken hairs one your head' :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: sooooo....mad!!!! UGH, so mad. Listen, let me teeeeeeeeeeeellllll you su-in *rolling my eyes and neck, finger way up in the air all up in her face* if I didn't LOVE this woman as much as I do, she would have gotten yelled at, cussed at and kicked out of my house! [fantasy concluded].

I responded they're NOT broken hairs! and proceeded to show her everybody else's 'broken hairs' including a child's 1B hair that had some fuz.

But secretly I wondered 'hmmmm...what is that peach fuzz about? Is it broken hairs? Made a written note to ask LHCF ladies wassup with the fuz????

LynnieB

Hmmm.......did it ever occur to any of these folks that hair grows?

Growth has to start somewhere, it just doesn't pop up overnight at 19" inches all willy nilly and stuff.

Sidenote: fuzz can indicate breakage but if your hair and scalp are healthy, fuzz = growth.

Fine 4s

Hmmm.......did it ever occur to any of these folks that hair grows?

Growth has to start somewhere, it just doesn't pop up overnight at 19" inches all willy nilly and stuff.

Sidenote: fuzz can indicate breakage but if your hair and scalp are healthy, fuzz = growth.

In all fairness she is 95 years old. She prob. forgot how hair grows LOL

How can you tell if it's breakage vs. growth?
I have them all over my braids and near scalp. I think most people if they didn't redo braids would get them so I don't know why I'm all worried now but u know...the lingering doubt!

Thanks LB!

LynnieB

I'd say if it looks like there's more short hairs in any one spot on your head, than it would probably mean breakage.

One of our LHCF gals showed a perfect example of breakage from wearing high pony tails. She said she brushed the broken hair upwards and the breakage landed right at the spot where you'd put an elastic. Her hair over all is long, thick and beautiful except for around the nape and front edges.

I'd say that growth would show over all fuzz or frizz of varying lengths and wouldn't be limited to any particular area.

Make sense?

BTW, I hear ya about old folks. They are usually set in their ways regardless of how much logic and commonsense you lay on the table :D

ladytee2

OmG I am the queen of fuzz. I was beginning to think it was just me because I have posted about it on many different occasions with no response. And my husband always comments that my hair is "frizzy". It really ticks me off when he says that. I have just stopped asking him how does my hair look. Just last week I told him I am a black woman and that is what my hair looks like frizzy. There is no way around that but if you come up with one let me know so we can patent that sucker and live in a life of luxury.

On another note I did find that doing the coconut milk and lime treatment helps with relaxing my frizz. I just have to not be so lazy and do it at least once a month.

And I agree with :notworthy: LynnieB the little hairs are all over so that is definitely growth which is a good thing. :clapping: It just doesnt look the best at all times.

Last edited:

1QTPie

Elder Sim
It's a combination of broken hairs (because the hairline/nape is usually more prone to breakage than any other area) and growing hairs. Everyone has it.

AfroKink

OP, your hair is really beautiful. Can you share your hair care routine (or point me to where you already shared it)?

Lys

Fine 4s

OP, your hair is really beautiful. Can you share your hair care routine (or point me to where you already shared it)?

Lys

Thank you Lys!

I don't have a regimen really.
My basic rules are very, very simple.
No heat (natural) aggressive PSing, no shrunken fros or WNGs, haven't found my perfect moisturizer but I use shea butter on my twists/braids DCs every week (but really been doing them every 2-3 weeks lately)...
Protein treats as needed and I try to remember to use my Roux PC...

Nothing fancy :(
Fell off the ayurveda bandwagon, fell off MT, fell off tying my hair at night, fell off baggying. So I've narrowed down my must dos to no heat and PS.

Vonnieluvs08

I agree that most of it is growth. My hair just went thru the summer growth spurt and my twists were looking rough esp the set from last week. I keep thinking it was broken hairs too but since it was in almost every section (front, crown, nape) I knew it had to be growth. It was so bad I was ready to wash and retwist some KCCC just to keep the frizz down.

Do remember to keep switching up your bun location to keep from getting breakage. I've had to let my headbands go for now since I keep putting them in the same spot and I knew breakage was just around the corner.

PS. My great-grandmother was the same way. My grandmother is more understanding, she likes the natural look (she's been rocking a TWA for 10-15yrs now)