When did stylist start charging.......

mscocoface

by the hour?:perplexed

I was in the mall and went into the JC Penny Salon. I went in to look at the products....Just can't help myself, some people window shop for clothes, I look at hair care products. :yep:

Anyhoo, the lady at the desk said to me you have beautiful hair I love the style where did you get it done? (I was in my curly wig with the front of my hair in flat twists - my old stand by HYH style). I smiled and said this is not my hair in the back but the front is mine and I did that, but thank you for the compliment. Her eyes bugged out of her head and she said it looks wonderful you can't even tell that is a wig, how can you do your own hair like that, it is amazing?

I told her practice makes perfect since there are very few stylist in the area that do natural hair I had to learn how to do it myself. She immediately tells me that they have a black stylist in their salon, that was a surprise because I am in a predominately white area. So I said thats great, she immediately starts calling this ladies name over the PA system and then says to me you should talk to her to see if she can do your hair, I can't even say the words don't bother before the lady comes up to the desk.

The stylist does not look pleased to be there, so my guard is immediately up. The receptionist is singing her praises and tells her that she (meaning me) does her own hair because there are no stylists in the area doing natural hair. I smile again and look at the stylist and ask her if she is experienced in handling natural hair, she says yes.

The stylist ask me if I get my hair done in LA (she presumed it was professional and all mine) I say to her also, no I did it myself and explained it was a wig and my own hair up front. She looks surprised also and say WOW you are good. To be nice, I ask her what would she charge to do my hair this way because sometimes it is just nice to have someone handle it once in a while, ya know?

Without out batting an eyelash she says, "We charge $65.00 an hour". She then saw the look in my eyes and then I said WOW! I then said per hour and she smiled and said yes, per hour. I told her it would take way more than an hour to do my head so thank you but no thank you.

The receptionist listening, barges in and tells her to write down her name and her schedule so that I can call her. You could tell the stylist wanted to say something but she did not. She wrote it down and gave it to me and I thanked her for speaking with me. Even though all I wanted to do was come in there and scope out the products, I learned something new today.

So I ask you ladies, is this something new or has this been happening and I just have never known because I haven't been to a salon in years? I was going to go to one this summer to have my hair styled for my wedding and she said nothing about charging per hour. I got a flat rate from her.

I don't know of any hair style you can create from wash to style in under an hour. Particularly black hair, I won't even think about natural hair.:nono:

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
I have never heard of that in my life! That is a total rip. Don't go in there again, cuz you may trip and fall into one of the stylist chairs and get up empty pocketed:lachen: All of the places I've priced was on a flat rate only. The only time people charge by the hour is when famous people are getting their hair done.

sunshinelady

sound

pssh. I bet that would be the longest press n' curl I would have ever got in my life.

$65 bucks per HOUR?!

I'll stick to $50 bucks for a press n'curl, deep condition and trim at Regis salon.

SUPER SWEET

Ive heard of it and it's usually way more than 65.00 and hour try like 300.00. :nono: It's suppose to make you feel like a star. :yawn:

Evazhair

That is such a hustle :rolleyes:and I ain't never been the one. When I had last become fully natural, seeing that ridiculousness only made me learn how to twist my own hair! You are really paying for convenience. I could do my own twists and they lasted just as long as theirs would.:nono:

mscocoface

Nope it wasn't that, that was the salon price for ERRBODY in there.

I don't care if I live in the O.C. or any other C that there is straight up craziness. :nono:

It wasn't even the shishipoopoo mall this was the smallest and least attractive mall in south county.

You can believe I will not be window shopping in the other stores like this in other malls around here. :ohwell:

mscocoface

I have never heard of that in my life! That is a total rip. Don't go in there again, cuz you may trip and fall into one of the stylist chairs and get up empty pocketed:lachen: All of the places I've priced was on a flat rate only. The only time people charge by the hour is when famous people are getting their hair done.

Can we say R O B B E R Y, with a comb, blow dryer and flat iron! :lachen:

CurliDiva

Says like the receptionist was trying to PIMP out their one and only black stylist! :perplexed

I would not let them touch my hair unless she can show a portfolio of natual heads that she has stlyed.:nono: I dion't think a JC Penny in a white neighborhood would the "natural hair" haven you are looking for!

Last edited:

mscocoface

Says like the receptionist was trying to PIMP out the one and only black stylist! :perplexed

I would not let them touch my hair unless she can show a portfolio of natual head that she has stlyed.:nono: I dion't think a JC Penny in a white neighborhood would the natural hair haven you are looking for!

Beleive me when I say NO ONE in that salon is touching anything on my persons. As I stated before I was in there looking at products and the receptionist instigated this.

Been on this natural journey too long to start getting sloppy now.:yep:

PuffyBrown

That is why she had that bad attitude and was available when the receptionist called her over. NO CUSTOMERS!
because I know NO CUSTOMER is about to come in there and pay her jazz no dang $65 an hour....what had happend was that receptionist thought you was related to Chaka Khan, Beyonce or somebody, cause you know "they" say we all look alike.

Starr1

Unfortunately, I've heard of it before. . . D$%@ southern california! :wallbash: I step foot in a salon and they want to charge me $150 just to wash and straighten it. No thank you.

myco

I have heard/seen stylists quote rates by the hour. It usually involves braid and weave styles.

But not hourly rates for things like relaxers, trims, wash/sets, etc.

hothair

:crystalba I see a salon....GET HOT HAIR £300 per hour she retires and heads to the Cayman Islands :woot: Amen.

God and angels please note I put £ not $ :angel:

freshlikemoi

That's not gonna work on any form of Black hair...she has got to be kidding. But in those predominately white areas you can get away with murder int erms of charging people what you see fit to.