When did you realize stylists were simple?

MaryJane3000

i wanted to say stupid but i felt that was a bit much for a title but yea...

I went into Ulta the other day and this lady asked me if I needed any help looking for products and I said yes as a matter of fact I do. I'm looking for products that contain ceramides. She said oh...well what is that? I explained it to her and told her what natural products contain it, ie wheat germ oil and hemp oil. Well she didn't know what was going on so she asked the ladies in the salon. And they didnt have the faintest idea and then asked me why i needed them and i told them well besides the fact that I just want them, I have a relaxer in my hair and ceramides work well with them. Now they just look at me like I'm crazy and tell me to just get a protein conditioner and I'll be fine. In my head i was like I know what protein does and i know what ceramides do, and I don't want protein. But i'ma wait and see if she suggest a good moisturizing conditioner to go on after....surprise surprise she didn't.

Example 2: I got a touch up and the lady asked when i got my last trim, I told her in December or something and she said that my ends weren't looking so good and needed to be trimmed. I said I'd get it later. I monitor my hair closely and I know when i need a trim thank you very much. I went to another lady and asked for a trim and she was like well you don't have anything that needs trimming your hair is fine. i told her to do it anyways because I like my ends blunt, she she gave me a very light dusting, which cost $35 :nono: but i digress. Point is one lady said my ends were busted and another said they were fine...

Example 3: My stylist back home, I would ask for advice all the time on my hair and all she could say is shampoo condition moisturize, relax every 6 weeks, use some oil, and make sure i come back to her on the regular. When I told her I was swearing off stylists where I was at school, because they just made my hair worse she swore my hair was lookin like freddy krugar got to it. She told me that putting all that natural stuff on my hair was bad and that I'll wash out my relaxer. 2 months later, I'm doing the same thing but i tell her that im seeing a stylist and she says my hair is looking better, but not great. I need to see her more...I was like lady all you've done is cut my hair and cut my hair some more. You never gave me any real advice on my hair besides the lil products you had me buy from your shop and to come back and see you more. She even told me that deep conditioners dont work the same at home as they do in the hair salon.... :pinocchio Now she knows she needs to stop acting like I was born yesterday and can't tell she just wants my money....

I can go on and on, but yea i think yall get the point..

asubeauty

I wonder what they teach in cosmotology school... They just may not learn this stuff. :nono: It took a lot of LHCF, reading, and research on my part to learn these things.

And the stylist in example 3 was just trying to get in your pockets. I wouldn't trust her as far as I could throw her. :ohwell:

ms.blue

I would like to say that stylists only learn the basics and gain the rest of the knowledge while actually working but that is not true. I think that hair care and styling are two different things which it shouldn't be in eyes of people. I occasionally go to a at home stylist who told me that she rather work from home than in a shop b/c she actually cares about the health of people hair and doesn't like to be rushed when dealing with clients hair and hair care is an ongoing learning process. I like her a lot b/c she will tell you anything you need to know about hair.

peachykeen

Oh Yeah, I am so over stylist madness.
Stylist Madness:
The Swivel: Turn your chair facing away from the mirror
The Bonnet: Sit you under the dryer for 1 hour, while they do 20 other heads
The Clip: Give you a 2 inch trim, which equals 4 months of new growth
The Fryer: Leave the relaxer on for 20 minutes plus
The Krueger: Ugly Hairstyle that will take a year to grow out
The Unstyle: Relax, Wash, flat iton and go(oh yeah and a trim)
The Natuslick: Start off with natural curls that get pressed into oblivion

Last edited:

BostonMaria

This is why I'm a 100% DIYer. I am surprised that you go to a stylist at all.

I like to bug the ULTA and Sally's ladies with all kinds of questions, just for the LOL's
I know that they are just retail people and don't know anything about hair.

LunadeMiel

After giving myself a trim last week, I realized that I will never need a stylist again. I'm a complete DYIER. I refuse to let people jack up my hair.

MsLizziA

I like to bug the ULTA and Sally's ladies with all kinds of questions, just for the LOL's
Girl i love doing that. The real dagger of it all though is that they would rather act like they know what their talking about before they will admit they don't know nothing and ask what it is

chrstndiva

There are some really good stylists out there who really care about hair health, but they are really hard to find. I haven't found one since I moved, so I am doing it myself.

I think the difference between the bad stylists and the good ones after they leave school are that the good ones are continuously educating themselves on haircare. Some apprentice with a top stylist/colorist to learn on the job and the best ones continue to go to workshops and classes.

shasha8685

I was done when during one visit I was getting touch up and it started to burn. When I alerted the appropriate person, they asked "Do you want me to leave it in longer or wash it out?" :ohwell:

I was done. With the exception of braiding, I do my own hair now

beans4reezy

My sister and I share the same hair dresser, but while my sister goes consistently, I haven't been there in over a year. The last time I followed my sister to an appointment, she got her hair washed and "deep conditioned". That DC left my sister's hair so dry and hard to get through; I cringed every time they yanked a small toothed comb through her hair while blow drying. When they finally got to styling her hair, the hair dresser didn't even use a pinch of heat protectant.

I don't know when is the next time i am going to be sitting in that woman's chair again :(

Lynnerie

I decided to get my natural hair straightened at a salon because it takes me so long to do by myself. Everything was good until she tried to blowdry my hair without heat protectant- she picked up the blowdryer and I handed her some Sabino Moisture Block- she asks what is it? I say heat protectant.

After the job was done she said keep coming to me and it will be much easier to straighten your hair because I will train it. Here's the kicker- I told her I didn't want my hair trained because I like my natural curls and she said oh I'm not going to use any chemicals. (So really she was just going to burn it straight) I haven't been to a salon since and refuse to go. Its a pain to straighten my own hair but at least I know I wont jack it up.

Love Always

This was a first, I got my hair pressed/flat ironed and while I was waiting for my ride to pick me up the the stylist told me to get out of the sunlight because my hair will revert :perplexed.

tbaby_8

Where in the heck do ya'll go?!?:lachen: Cosmetologist learn the basics in school. They are only in school for the minimum of 1200-1500 hours. Some states require that all stylist get continuing education to keep there lic. Many do it, but they only go to get the credit hours and not the knowledge.

There are many stylist that are good and want to make there customers hair healthy. Unfortunately, there are more bad stylist that could care less if your hair is healthy or not. They are more about the finished look when you leave the salon because you are advertising there work. Many stylist don't know what the ingredients are or do in the products that they use because they are not taught or informed to think about that. If they use a particular product and they like the results, then they will continue to use that product. They do not single out one particular ingredient. Sorry. We ( I am a hairstylist.) are not taught that. Good stylist do research. Bad stylist don't and don't care too. Just because I do hair doesn't mean I know all things about hair. It is a learning process and new things are always coming out. I do try to make an effort to learn as much as possible, because I didn't know. I have learned alot of things that I wasn't taught even from working in a salon environment that I have learned from this board and other boards as well about different products, oils and techniques in general. I have also learned that what works for one doesn't necessary work for all. I have found also, from being a client as well as working in the industry that many good stylist may not style that well, but they know how to care for your hair and not damage it and get it to grow. Also, that the stylist that can style her butt off, will fry dye and lay your hair to the side and it will look good for the monent, but when you try to do your hair at home it is just as damaged and lifeless and unhealthy looking.

Again, we (good stylist) are out here, but we are not given a chance because we are lumped in the same category as the bad stylist.

Don't mean to rant, but that's my two cents. You really can't lump all stylist in to one area because of the many bad apples that are out there. We can't help it people still want to sit in there chair. That is there choice.

tbaby_8

This was a first, I got my hair pressed/flat ironed and while I was waiting for my ride to pick me up the the stylist told me to get out of the sunlight because my hair will revert :perplexed.

I have never heard of that one. :lachen: That stylist must have thought you sweat in your head. LOL

LaFemmeNaturelle

Really? The Sally's in my area ONLY hires cosmetologist which I was pretty pissed about because I wanted to work there and I'm sure I know more about hair than they do!

LaFemmeNaturelle

Well that would be true for me lol my hair would go poof in 5 minutes because I WILL sweat in my head if standing in sun.

Vashti

Yeah. It's true that there are some good stylists out there. My sister and I had one for years a long time ago but she retired eventually. That was a sad time because our hair really went downhill after that. This goes for braiding too. The really good ones that cared about your hair were so booked up that it took months to get an appointment and sometimes they were simply not taking on new clients so I turned to inferior stylists for awhile. These days I just do my own hair. It actually a lot easier than finding a good stylist. I would ask around for a good stylist but good stylist to most people and good stylist to those of us on LHCF are two different things. :ohwell:

Last edited:

MaryJane3000

IDK my personal opinion is there's no excuse for you not to be knowledgeable about what goes on in your career. Thats like someone who edits film and only knows the basic software because it's enough to get him by. For the actual hair stylists in Ulta to not even know what ceramides are is crazy to me. And then they advise me to do something that will actually hurt my hair.

I wish I could be a complete DIYer, but I'm not there yet. I only go to the salon for a touch up and a trim...everything else i do at home. And I used to be one of those girls that went religiously.

I may let my hairdresser back home do my hair one more time just so she can see how fabulous its become. :)

30something

I can't believe she said conditioners don't work the same as they do at the salon. Sounds like a car dealer (aka con-artist)

I finally realize my stylist was simple or "special" when it took her 15 mins to just relax the back of my hair! She had not even touch the front yet, after 30 mins I told her to take it out... and she was looking at me like :nono:

I have faith there are good stylist out there, but I'm trying to find out at this point :grin:

sharifeh

Lol I'm still shocked at the fact that your stylist said that a deep conditioner at home is not the as one in the salon now that's bold :lachen:

foxee

This reminds me of a 60 Minutes segment I saw a few years ago, exposing the hair industry. The reporter attended an expo with some of the top haircare brands Pantene (Proctor and Gamble,etc).

Reporter (holding a bottle of conditioner): "I see here your product lists dimethicone as an ingredient. What is that, exactly?"
Product Rep::perplexed "Uh . . . um . . ."

I stay out of salons. I'm terrified of them, just like one would be scared of the dentist or doctor. I started losing hair by the fistful in 1994, when a stylist at an "upscale salon" over processed my hair.

JayAnn0513

I make 30 look good!
When my favorite aunt who's hair could not get pass SL even with weekly salon visits was able to grow her hair almost APL in 12 months after she quit her stylist. Her hair has NEVER looked better as an adult. This is a woman that never even owned shampoo before I started telling her about this site and others like it. Now she's transitioning and has the longest hair in our family.

Stylists, doctors, lawyers...it's all the same. There are some good ones and a whole lot of bad ones. As my sister likes to say, "not everyone graduates at the top of their class." The folks who treat it like a job vs. a career are usually less committed (in a lot of ways).

LatterGlory

This is why I am not commited to any one stylist.

If I wasn't so chicken to self relax the inside of a salon would see me 0 times per year instead of 2-4 times.

wheezy807

This is why I am not commited to any one stylist.

If I wasn't so chicken to self relax the inside of a salon would see me 0 times per year instead of 2-4 times.
I hear that! You and me both. We need to seriously work on that.

Lucky's Mom

Sorry to say it - but I have little respect for the simpletons that consider themselves stylists. Sorry for offending anyone. I have not really expereinced a good one yet. I will be going to a white person for a much needed trim. Beyond that, Stylists never see me.
I trust one friend to cornrow. but - I have known her for 20 years... and hair is not her profession at all.

tbaby_8

Yeah. It's true that there are some good stylists out there. My sister and I had one for years a long time ago but she retired eventually. That was a sad time because our hair really went downhill after that. This goes for braiding too. The really good ones that cared about your hair were so booked up that it took months to get an appointment and sometimes they were simply not taking on new clients so I turned to inferior stylists for awhile. These days I just do my own hair. It actually a lot easier than finding a good stylist. I would ask around for a good stylist but good stylist to most people and good stylist to those of us on LHCF are two different things. :ohwell:

Girl, you are soo right.

tbaby_8

Stylists, doctors, lawyers...it's all the same. There are some good ones and a whole lot of bad ones. As my sister likes to say, "not everyone graduates at the top of their class." The folks who treat it like a job vs. a career are usually less committed (in a lot of ways).

I love your sisters saying. I have got to use that one. It is soooo true.:lachen: