When did you realize stylists were simple?

Hairlosophy

Where in the heck do ya'll go?!?:lachen: Cosmetologist learn the basics in school. They are only in school for the minimum of 1200-1500 hours. Some states require that all stylist get continuing education to keep there lic. Many do it, but they only go to get the credit hours and not the knowledge.

There are many stylist that are good and want to make there customers hair healthy. Unfortunately, there are more bad stylist that could care less if your hair is healthy or not. They are more about the finished look when you leave the salon because you are advertising there work. Many stylist don't know what the ingredients are or do in the products that they use because they are not taught or informed to think about that. If they use a particular product and they like the results, then they will continue to use that product. They do not single out one particular ingredient. Sorry. We ( I am a hairstylist.) are not taught that. Good stylist do research. Bad stylist don't and don't care too. Just because I do hair doesn't mean I know all things about hair. It is a learning process and new things are always coming out. I do try to make an effort to learn as much as possible, because I didn't know. I have learned alot of things that I wasn't taught even from working in a salon environment that I have learned from this board and other boards as well about different products, oils and techniques in general. I have also learned that what works for one doesn't necessary work for all. I have found also, from being a client as well as working in the industry that many good stylist may not style that well, but they know how to care for your hair and not damage it and get it to grow. Also, that the stylist that can style her butt off, will fry dye and lay your hair to the side and it will look good for the monent, but when you try to do your hair at home it is just as damaged and lifeless and unhealthy looking.

Again, we (good stylist) are out here, but we are not given a chance because we are lumped in the same category as the bad stylist.

Don't mean to rant, but that's my two cents. You really can't lump all stylist in to one area because of the many bad apples that are out there. We can't help it people still want to sit in there chair. That is there choice.

Yeah I can totally relate having a stylist who can lay hair really good but leave damaged hair afterwards. A few years ago when I was relaxed with short hair, my stylist would cut and curl my hair excellent everytime I went there but after the first wash my hair would feel like straw and break off badly:wallbash:. My hair wouldn't grow past neck length at all. Needless to say I stopped going to her, found excellent haircare information :yep: became a full time DIYer and my hair has thanked me for it.

supermodelsonya

Where in the heck do ya'll go?!?:lachen: Cosmetologist learn the basics in school. They are only in school for the minimum of 1200-1500 hours. Some states require that all stylist get continuing education to keep there lic. Many do it, but they only go to get the credit hours and not the knowledge.

There are many stylist that are good and want to make there customers hair healthy. Unfortunately, there are more bad stylist that could care less if your hair is healthy or not. They are more about the finished look when you leave the salon because you are advertising there work. Many stylist don't know what the ingredients are or do in the products that they use because they are not taught or informed to think about that. If they use a particular product and they like the results, then they will continue to use that product. They do not single out one particular ingredient. Sorry. We ( I am a hairstylist.) are not taught that. Good stylist do research. Bad stylist don't and don't care too. Just because I do hair doesn't mean I know all things about hair. It is a learning process and new things are always coming out. I do try to make an effort to learn as much as possible, because I didn't know. I have learned alot of things that I wasn't taught even from working in a salon environment that I have learned from this board and other boards as well about different products, oils and techniques in general. I have also learned that what works for one doesn't necessary work for all. I have found also, from being a client as well as working in the industry that many good stylist may not style that well, but they know how to care for your hair and not damage it and get it to grow. Also, that the stylist that can style her butt off, will fry dye and lay your hair to the side and it will look good for the monent, but when you try to do your hair at home it is just as damaged and lifeless and unhealthy looking.

Again, we (good stylist) are out here, but we are not given a chance because we are lumped in the same category as the bad stylist.

Don't mean to rant, but that's my two cents. You really can't lump all stylist in to one area because of the many bad apples that are out there. We can't help it people still want to sit in there chair. That is there choice.

Tbaby you've been on point all day.

Calling people simple? Really? It's like that? Before the hair boards, I didn't know anything about hair care and would have looked at you like you were crazy too.

It will take lots of years and patience to get the message across to black women and stylists all over on proper maintenance for black hair.

Along the way, ignorance will run rampant but that's okay. Take these moments to educate and those that don't want to learn, KIM!

LushLox

Does anyone pay that bit extra to see premium, 'high end' stylists. I'm thinking of the term, "you get what you pay for." Is it true in anyone's experience, are 'deluxe' stylists more knowledgeable?

becoming a stylist

i'm starting beauty school pretty soon thanks to LHCF.. you def have to keep yourself current because there's no one to check you to make sure you know your stuff except clients.. i plan on learning a lot more about ingredients as well.. i don't want nobody callin' me stupid:nono:

My sister once went to a so called exclusive stylists who bragged about how she once did Beyonce's hair...we all thought the girl must be good right (wrong!). Washed my sister's hair, cornrowed the front and made her sit under the dryer to dry...I don't think she even detangled it... I was like is she serious?!?! My sis left the shop without paying and I ended up doing her hair at home!
DIY baby DIY!!![/QUOTE]

i'm all for the DIY.. shoot if i could build my own house from scratch i would.. but sometimes you just want to be taken care of.. for example i paint my own nails.. doesn't mean i'll never pay to have someone else do it... it feels nice to relax and let someone else do the work for a change.. i think finding a stylist is just like product hunting.. you keep looking until you find the perfect one.. or atleast one that does beter than what you've had previously...

Lola Laughs

Stylists, doctors, lawyers...it's all the same. There are some good ones and a whole lot of bad ones. As my sister likes to say, "not everyone graduates at the top of their class." The folks who treat it like a job vs. a career are usually less committed (in a lot of ways).

So true.
What do you call a doctor [substitute stylist] who made D's in med school [beauty school]? A doctor [stylist]. :nono:

tbaby_8

Yeah I can totally relate having a stylist who can lay hair really good but leave damaged hair afterwards. A few years ago when I was relaxed with short hair, my stylist would cut and curl my hair excellent everytime I went there but after the first wash my hair would feel like straw and break off badly:wallbash:. My hair wouldn't grow past neck length at all. Needless to say I stopped going to her, found excellent haircare information :yep: became a full time DIYer and my hair has thanked me for it.

See, now that is what I'm talking about. Alot of stylist can get your hair healthy and beautiful, but can't style worth two cents, but your hair is healthy as all get out. Then you have those ones that can lay your hair and make it look like silk, but once you wash it, it looks like dead, burnt straw.

tbaby_8

Does anyone pay that bit extra to see premium, 'high end' stylists. I'm thinking of the term, "you get what you pay for." Is it true in anyone's experience, are 'deluxe' stylists more knowledgeable?

HOnestly, not really. They aren't that much more knowledgable than another stylist, usually. It just depends.

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
I found this out when I told my former stylist that I had a sensitive scalp when I was getting a relaxer and she decided to leave it on longer than the recommended time so " the perm would take"!! :wallbash:

I Left the salon with chemical burns and weeping sores...I never went back!! Thank goodness I am a DIYer now!

beans4reezy

HOnestly, not really. They aren't that much more knowledgable than another stylist, usually. It just depends.

I agree. The higher end stylists are usually higher end because of the expensive products they use or they provide a unique styling process. They don't usually know anymore about hair care than your lower end ones.

belldandy

no, i dont believe in "you get what you pay for." my favorite doobie spot, where the stylist are super sensitive and dont pull your hair out and actually listen you, is where i can get a $7 doobie. the only reason i dont go anymore is b/c they use rattail combs and my hair cant handle that manipulation. but i might go at the end of the year. all the other times i went to stylists i would leave very upset, disappointed and with an empty pocket. i just do my own hair now...

Freesia

I think it just depends. There are some really good stylists out there and some really bad ones.

When I was in high school and got relaxers my mom would "shop" for stylists who could get you out of the salon fast and inexpensively. This gave me the fortune/misfortune of sitting in a lot of chairs in a lot of different salons. I remember one of the best stylists I've ever had. My mom complained that she was slow and too expensive. It was true that she did take her time, and she was pricier than other stylists in the area but I don't really recall ever getting any relaxer burns or damage from her. My hair always came out really nice whenever I left her shop. I don't remember how healthy it was, because that was never my focus back then, but I don't remember any catastrophies during those months. One day while she was doing my hair I noticed the number of certificates on her wall and asked her about them. She told me that they were from workshops she attended from time to time so she could keep her skills current.

One day my mom told me she had found another stylist that she heard was faster and a little less expensive. I went to her this time. The first thing I noticed about this woman was that she was always on the phone. Was she talking to clients, you ask? No. From what I could get from her incredibly rapid speech, she was complaining to a friend about some guy she knew. Fast forward to relaxer time, she puts me in a room at the back of the shop to let the cream do it's work and goes to take care of another client out front. While on the phone. Or so I figured, since the speed of her voice always seemed to pick up when she was on the line. That, and I could hear her complaints about the guy from time to time.

Long story short, she takes forever to get back. Meanwhile, my scalp is on fire. I should have spoken up sooner, I know, but I was young and too unassertive back then. When I got home, I noticed burns on my scalp, the worst of which were on a small section of my nape. I didn't tell my mom much about it (because I didn't want her to get mad) but I did tell her I didn't like the experience very much. She never took me to that lady again.

So, the tldr version: Some stylists are very much into their craft and professional about it; others are not.