When Did You Start Feeling Confident Giving Hair Advice

Glib Gurl

I just responded to this post about leave-in conditioners and I realize that it's one of the few times that I have given advice about haircare. Even though I've been here about 10 months, I still consider myself a newbie because I've only begun to really put all of the tips and tricks I've learned into practice. Looking at the OP's hair, I can't help but think who am I to give her hair advice? Her hair is much longer and prettier than mine. :look:

When did you start feeling confident enough to start giving hair advice here on LHCF?

If it something that you know about speak on it, just cuz your "new" doesn't mean you don't have something to bring to the table. I am a newbie(started in sept) and I am always responding and putiing my 2 cents in, even if no one wants to hear it:lachen:

I totally understand Glib. As I newbie i was kind of reluctant, but I now I feel that I can give advice as long as it's a topic that I am knowledgeable of. I'm BSL now so I feel I have a little credibility :lachen:

When I finally put pics of my hair up. People tend to take you more seriously when you have actual proof.

Good question! Well before I join LHCF I read alot about hair and I would ask questions from hair stylist and when I was going to the salon I watched everything they did...some correct some not. But when I started praticing it myself and got results...that's when I felt confident to give advice...now If I am not knowledgeable about something...then I don't touch the subject...but if I know I give my advice. Plus I'm still learning...the ladies on this forum are awesome! They have a lot of wisdom...and I am learning from everyone!

I usually give advice when I am totally sure of something.

Other then that, I usually find myself questioning more then giving :look:

IRL I started giving advice once I started receiving compliments and questions about my hair. Online, if someone ask me or if I feel I have some usable knowledge on the subject. :yep:

Good question Glib. :up:

I guess when I started solving some of my problems. It's like a light bulb came on. So if someone is having some of the same problems I can tell them what I do to help it.

I give advice if I've tried something and it's worked for me/improved my hair.

Or if I just have a-lot of experience at it - such as flat-ironing/air-drying/braid-outs on relaxed hair. I'm transitioning now, but I would still give advice on relaxed hair because I was relaxed for so long and I maintained healthy relaxed hair (until Phyto got to it, but I won't tell that story again).

My confidence comes when people with OK hair, not jacked up but OK, ask for advice. They are not desperate but still see something in my hair that they want to ask about.

Today when the clerk at Sally's ask me about my hair and why it looked and felt so healthy.

I just responded to this post about leave-in conditioners and I realize that it's one of the few times that I have given advice about haircare. Even though I've been here about 10 months, I still consider myself a newbie because I've only begun to really put all of the tips and tricks I've learned into practice. Looking at the OP's hair, I can't help but think who am I to give her hair advice? Her hair is much longer and prettier than mine. :look:

I came in to respond and saw my thread mentioned, thank you so much for the compliment, but you have a great head of hair yourself!:yep:

I'm a newbie too, since I've been here only about 6 or 7 months, but the site has helped me a lot, and I already knew a lot before I came. I have never had a problem growing long hair, or keeping that hair for that matter, and I had to learn a lot of lessons for myself just to maintain what I had. My main problem I have is keeping it healthy... which is why I always have to trim off my progress everytime I gain length and stay at the same length for so long because basically I'm slowly starting over with a new head of hair.

I knew I was confident in giving hair advice when I saw threads talking about things I had done and experienced before, whether it was telling them what definitely NOT to do or what could work. I'm not fully APL or as thick as I would like to be, but I know how to keep the three strands I do have touching APL on my head until the rest of it gets there:nono::grin:. I also am an Anthropology major, which makes me prone to doing research on just about everything, so I usually try to learn about things before I say something if I haven't experienced it before.

Back