When do you pull a relaxer to the ends?

kisz4tj

If you can see where your natural hair meets your relaxed hair I would apply it up til that point. Hope this helps.

Tracy

What's the crisis OC?

I would also recommend only applying a relaxer to the ends if you ABSOLUTELY HAVE NO OTHER CHOICE.

The people on this baord who have done it have been very careful and have had no problems (most of them) but pulling a relaxer through the the ends should only be done IMO if there is severe underprocessing throughout most of the hair so that your hair is more underprocessed than anything else.

Nita4 and some others know much about this procedure as they have done it or had it done themselves. Be sure to seek their advice and avail yourself of the benefit of their experiences before you do this. Also - do not do it yourself. I would really enlist the help of a professional on this one....

Kiadodie

My hair was severly underproccessed and my hairdresser told me so ...she put a mild relaxer throughout my whole hair. It turned out fine.
Let a professional look at it and let you know if the whole hair needs it.

Karonica

If my memory serves me correctly, I think Pebbles did this too. I recommend a lye perm for this procedure is you do try it. I honestly don't think it's going to cause any damage, unless there was already an underlying problem.

OnlyChild

Here's the crisis (long):

Just took out braids/weave.
My new growth has now become unmanageable. (It's about 6 inches)
My relaxed hair looks very weak, thin.
It is locking/breaking in clumps where the two textures meet.
I'm thinking the only way to keep the length is to relax the new growth, but I don't know if it's too late. Will relaxing the six inches of new growth now stop the breakage?
I don't think I'm going to have my stylist pull it to the ends, but what should she use to protect the new growth?

Please help me. I can't leave the house looking like this. I know I shouldn't even be considering a relaxer because I just washed my hair.

Armyqt

Onlychild, which products did you use to wash your hair and what was your routine? Before you get a relaxer the hair needs to be prepped (stengthened).

I think a megamoisturizing/strenghtening seesion is in order here. You need to do a pre-shampoo treatment with castor oil, olive oil and cococnut oil with heat for at least 30 min. Wash with a veeerrry detangling shampoo like CON (yellow/grn bottle). Follow up with a mild protein treatment like ORS hair Mayo (mixed with a ittle olive oil) and follow that up with a moisturizing conditioner w/heat for 30 min to an hour. Once that's been rinsed out, spray on some Elasta QPH-two leave-in (or whatever you have on hand, just make sure it's good at detangling) and wait about 2 mins for it to soak in. Then take a plastic pick, not a comb, and start to pick the hair starting at the ends first and working your way up. Once detangled, apply some s-curl activator all over generously from root to tip. Apply a moisturizer such as Profectiv break-free or megagrowth and comb the hair into and ponytail and do a bun. Let me know how things work out.

kisz4tj

If you have a good stylist he/she should be able to give you sound advice, and do a good job. Put a hat on and find a professional Pronto!

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
Was your relaxed hair weak/damaged prior to the braids/weave?

You need a good reconstructor before anything else. You may need at least a trim too if the relaxed hair is damaged on the ends.

nita4

Wow six inches!! That could be a bit of a problem. I would give myself a heavy duty protein treatment(Aphogee, Emergencee)followed by a good moisturizer. I would find a way to wear my hair for at least a week or so because it would be weak, then after continuous conditioning for a couple of weeks I would get a relaxer and a good trim. Three days after my relaxer I would shampoo my hair and follow that shampoo with a good creamy protein conditioner, followed with a moisturizer and find a style with little manipulation. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Armyqt

The reason I recommended a mild protein conditioner is because she mentioned that there was some knotting where the two textures meet. Strong protein treatments have been known to tangle the hair, thus creating a bigger problem at the moment. I think it's inportant to get the hair soft and detangled firstand in a few days, she can do a heavy duty protein to strengthen it. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

OnlyChild

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Armyqt said:
Onlychild, which products did you use to wash your hair and what was your routine? Before you get a relaxer the hair needs to be prepped (stengthened).

I think a megamoisturizing/strenghtening seesion is in order here. You need to do a pre-shampoo treatment with castor oil, olive oil and cococnut oil with heat for at least 30 min. Wash with a veeerrry detangling shampoo like CON (yellow/grn bottle). Follow up with a mild protein treatment like ORS hair Mayo (mixed with a ittle olive oil) and follow that up with a moisturizing conditioner w/heat for 30 min to an hour. Once that's been rinsed out, spray on some Elasta QPH-two leave-in (or whatever you have on hand, just make sure it's good at detangling) and wait about 2 mins for it to soak in. Then take a plastic pick, not a comb, and start to pick the hair starting at the ends first and working your way up. Once detangled, apply some s-curl activator all over generously from root to tip. Apply a moisturizer such as Profectiv break-free or megagrowth and comb the hair into and ponytail and do a bun. Let me know how things work out.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I did:

Took the braids out last night &amp; detangled as I went along. (normal shedding)
Hot oil treatment with olive oil and left on throughout the night.
Washed with Creme of Nature moisturizing shampoo (green bottle) 2x.
LeKair deep condition w/ heat for 20 minutes.
Washed out with warm water.
Fantasia IC leave-in conditioner
Sat under dryer for 30 minutes.

The problem is that when I wet my hair to shampoo and wash out the conditioner more hair was falling out than usual. Like mothballs of hair.

When it dried some of it locked up like dreadlocks. I think I have pinpointed the problem to where the relaxed and natural hair meets. That's where the hair forms knots. Is a relaxer the answer?

I know my stylist will say to pull the relaxer to the ends because I haven't gotten a relaxer in a year, even though the relaxed hair is not underprocessed. She also combs through the relaxer through.

I want my mother to do it, but she says she doesn't feel comfortable doing it (even though) I trust her more because over half of my 10" strands are new growth and it would probably take her a long time. And besides that, do they sell lye relaxers at the beauty supply store?

Answers to any of this long post will be appreciated.

CurlyCrly

OnlyChild said:

The problem is that when I wet my hair to shampoo and wash out the conditioner more hair was falling out than usual. Like mothballs of hair.

When it dried some of it locked up like dreadlocks. I think I have pinpointed the problem to where the relaxed and natural hair meets.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is why I said 'reconstructor' before anything else. It is still my suggestion, but it sounds like you've lost a lot of hair now. Is your relaxed hair damaged? Is it healthy enough to hold on to?

OnlyChild

CurlyCrly said:
Was your relaxed hair weak/damaged prior to the braids/weave?

You need a good reconstructor before anything else. You may need at least a trim too if the relaxed hair is damaged on the ends.

[/ QUOTE ]

My last trim was 3 months ago in December. What do you think?

CurlyCrly

I still think a reconstructor, followed by a lot of moisturizing conditioner sessions. Also, perhaps the no poo routine would benefit you. If your ends appear to be damaged you may want to get rid of them. They'll only make matters worse. I wouldn't put another relaxer in until your hair is stronger.

Armyqt

Ok Onlychild, I see what you're saying now. I should have saved the routine for after you answered the questions. Not to worry though, you'll get through this. Maybe you do need to go to a professional and get this sorted out. If your hair is dreading, I don't know how to counteract that. Maybe someone else here does. At least call and talk to your stylist and see what she suggests. And remember, if you do decide to get a relaxer, make it known up front, that you don't want her pulling your relaxer through. It's your hair, so be firm. Good luck and keep us posted.

CurlyCrly

Good Advice! Be firm and stand your ground.

Are you able to comb through your hair at all when it is wet? If not, I'd skip the reconstructor.

OnlyChild

Armyqt &amp; Nita4--
How long should I wait after following your advice before getting a relaxer?

I feel like I'm pressed for time because I'm in an awkward situation. I'm in college and I'm home for Spring Break. I go to school where there are no black people, hence, no black salons. That's why I'm in such a rush. It's now or never... Or is there another alternative?

Kitkat

OnlyChild, I agree with the other ladies here. Since your hair is locking and breaking where the two textures meet and your relaxed hair looks weak and thin, I would NOT - repeat, NOT - relax. You have to treat your hair to some good ole TLC and nurture it back to health, because right now a relaxer could ruin all of your hard earned growth (six inches - that's amazing!!!).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds as if you didn't completely loosen the tangles before you washed your hair, an absolute must after removing braids. Use the best moisturizer you have at home - Carrot Oil, Profectiv, curl activator, whatever - and loosen those knots thoroughly before washing again. Don't rush because this will definitely take some time. When you do wash your hair again, use a really moisturizing and detangling shampoo. The Creme of Nature that Armyqt recommended is wonderful. I used this last night for the first time in a long time, and it makes your hair feel just great. A mild protein conditioner won't make your hair hard and tangled like some of the heavy hitters will. Use a good moisturizing conditioner afterwards, and then soak your hair in the best moisturizers you have (Carrot Oil, etc). Comb through your hair very carefully. It will probably take time to remove the knots, but if you don't you could lose that locked/tangled hair. Good luck and keep us posted.

Kitkat

After I posted my reply, I saw your new post. If your hair is underprocessed and you haven't relaxed for a year, that one situation where pulling a relaxer through makes sense. I had a lye relaxer pulled thru my hair because my hair was underprocessed and I had lots of new growth from being in braids for a year. But I don't think that's the answer for your situation. I'm almost sure that a relaxer won't straighten hair that is locked, which is why I suggest loosening the knots as carefully as possible. I think it will do more harm than good now.

Please keep us posted, sweetie!!

OnlyChild

I know that the relaxer won't loosen the locks. I'm just trying to keep it from locking. When it locks up, they just slide right out.

But I'm feeling better because I just talked to my stylist and told me:
(1) she wants to take a look at my hair tonight before she does anything
(2) she won't put a relaxer in my hair for at least three days because I just washed it (that's her rule)

I was at a point earlier this morning where I just wanted to cut off all my hair to a Halle Berry cut.

nita4

Okay, lets think about this...you are going back to college and there are no black salons...how are you going to continue getting touch ups? Are you going to do them?
/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I wouldn't rush into anything, you can always get your hair braided, pressed or go natural. Can you wear a bun? Can you braid? You need a hairstyle that you can maintain, where there is very little manipulation and where you can concentrate on building the strength of your hair back up. Something were you aren't depending on anyone else to do. Right now I would concentrate on untangling your hair it sounds like it is weak and relaxing it to soon would only make it worse.

There are alot of natural ladies here that could give you solutions so that you can maintain your own hair. Check with Brighteyes, Sweetcocoa, Leejure (sp), Honeyvide, there are so many. There are other alternatives. You don't want to get into a situation where you mess up your wonderful six inches of new growth.

Otherwise, I just wouldn't relax any sooner then a month myself with continuous conditioning.

OnlyChild

Well, I come back to the city once every two months. That's why I wear weaves. I usually get them done when I come back. By the time I come back for the summer (first week in May) I should be due again for a touch up.

I was a spoiled child (screen name - OnlyChild). My mother did my rollersets until my senior year in high school. I'm pretty good with roller sets, but I was thinking about getting another sewn-in weave put in about a month after the relaxer anyway. I just wanted to give myself a break from relaxers because I noticed how thick my hair was compared to when I get relaxers. I also didn't seem to be noticing any growth after that infamous flipped Nia Long cut (you know, the one on the relaxer box).

The problem (which I will NEVER, NEVER, NEVER do again) is trying to hold on to two textures. You will have to eventually choose a side, or else your relaxed hair will lose the battle and fall out. My hair is longer than it has been in a while (19.5 inches from hairline to ends) and I wanted to keep it that way without relaxing, but I guess I will have to give in.

Thanks Nita4 for all of your suggestions.

nita4

Girl you are welcome. I would hate to see you mess up your hair. Ain't nothing wrong with being spoiled. I have two "only" children because of their 12 year age difference and they are both kinda spoiled - girls too.

Hey dealing with the two textures are a pain and I not sure about relaxed hair upkeep in a weave. I think there is post from Henrilou regarding that. Anyway girl, best to you and whatever you decide. /images/graemlins/smile.gif