When is a good time to use a protein conditioner?

Crysdon

I have Aubrey's GPB and Motions CPR. I just got my texturizer touch-up last Friday and if memory serves me correctly, the ladies on the board said that it is good to have the protein treatment (followed up by moisturising conditioner, of course) on your first wash following a chemical service.

I also noticed a few short strands (breakage) coming out, not a lot to be alarmed about, but I noticed /images/graemlins/shocked.gif . Overall, my hair is in good condition.

So, if I do need to do the protein treatment, which should I use?

Crysdon,
I use Nexxus's Emergencee reconstructor the week after a relaxer. It bonds to the hair and oddly my hair is pretty moisturized after a chemical treatment. I may use heavy protein like the Emergnecee twice in a 3 month period. For me Motions CPR is good, but not a "real" miracle worker. I need something stronger like an Aphogee concentrated protein, but try the Motions CPR it may work for you. I have never used the Aubrey but Adrienne says it works for her and look at her hair.....I can't say you can go wrong with either. Glad to hear your hair turned out ok!

Crysdon, I normally have the hairdresser put one in for me immediately following my relaxer touch up. Then I do one every 4th week of the month always followed by a moisturizing conditioner. But if you didn't have one upon your touch up - I think the first wash would be good. I would use the heavy duty one, followed by a moisturizing conditioner.
HTH
By the way - the conditioner washes have helped make my new growth past week 10 way more manageable. Thanks /images/graemlins/grin.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
By the way - the conditioner washes have helped make my new growth past week 10 way more manageable. Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

That's great! I'm so happy for you /images/graemlins/grin.gif. Stretching out those relaxers sure does pay off.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I would use the heavy duty one, followed by a moisturizing conditioner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is the Motions a heavy duty one, or the Aubreys? Thanks.

OK I have a stupid question. Some people have said that protein conditioners can be drying and should always be followed up with a moisturizing one. Does that mean just a leave-in, or another deep conditioner, or just the kind you wash out in the shower after a minute or two? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Hi Enyaa,

I guess it depends of the potency of the conditioner. Hard core protein conditioners like the Aphogee stinky one would be best followed by a deep conditioner.

With mild reconstuctor like Nexxus keraphix, you could probably get away with a moisturising leave-in or 5 minute instant.

Crysdon,

I don't have a hard and fast rule regarding protein. i usually do an intensive protein treatment my last wash b/4 a touch up to bolster up the condition &amp; strength of my hair. Nowadays many stylist neutralize with a protein reconstructor, like affirms step 3

i like motions oil moisturizer (moisture silk protein conditioner). i use motions mild. after rinsing the relaxer out....i slab this stuff on,rinse. neutralizing shampoo, rinse and slab the stuff on again. (as per directions)

Crysdon,

I have never used Aubrey's. But, I am assuming that it would be the better one to use. I gathered that information from reviewing prior post - the ladies seemed to like it better. I have used the CPR and it seemed mild to me - it didn't do much. Just my opinion. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Ennyaa,

I use Nexxus Keraphix as my protein conditioner w/ heat for about 15 to 30 min. this all depends on the amount of time I have available. I follow up with Nexxus Humectress with or without heat for the same amount of time. This works well for me. But ultimately, that decision would be up to you. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

HTH

OK, I think I'll use the Aubrey's.

Now, can I use the Aubrey's under a heating cap? The directions say leave on for 5 or 10 minutes. Do you think I can get away with it under the cap for 20 minutes without any harm?

Hi Crysdon! I use Aubreys GPB as my heavy duty protein conditioner once a month. I have to thank Adrienne for that because she always sang the praises of this stuff, and I just had to try it. I use Keraphix after each wash, if I have any, which is safe enough because it's not a concentrated protein conditioner. Keraphix left my hair much softer than Humectress, which I hated. I like Aubreys very much. It leaves my hair very soft afterwards, not hard like I understand Aphogee does. I'm sure Aphogee works very well but with my hair I'd rather not have to deal with trying to soften it up. With Aubreys you don't have to worry about this. Just make sure you follow the instructions on the bottle -rinse it well for a full minute. Even though Aubreys leaves the hair soft, I always deep condition with a moisturizing conditioner afterwards. Hope this helps. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back