When is the forum update coming?!!

JustSitNBePretty

Lol, See I didnt even know about a planned upgrade, I thought you were being like, ummm this board is boring looking when is the upgrade... I know one thing, I am tired of these 404 errors... I be like really I know the board is not busy at 3am... :lachen:
I think that's where the disconnect is coming from. You and RocStar are thinking I'm just asking for something when in actuality it was already mentioned by nikos himself. Here is the thread: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=745783

Here is Nikos response
Ladies,

Sorry for the late reply.

We have been trying to figure out why the forum is acting up lately. I have noticed 3 days in a row the servers have been literally hammered by traffic and that is unusual to say the least. Our servers are in most cases underutilized so that there is a lot more processing power if we need it.

I am not sure what the real reason was but we have been getting traffic 10x the normal and I have concluded after looking at the logs that it has been a deliberate attack (DDOS) to bring the site down.

The site is behind a load balancer which distributes the traffic evenly according to the load of each server behind it. This is to ensure that everyone has a nice and smooth experience. We also have a feature built in, by which if one server goes down for whatever reason the maintenance page shows up.

Now if that happens, unfortunately, your browser will cache the maintenance page and instead of showing you the actual content if you try to refresh the page, you get the maintenance one.

The easiest way to work around that (and this our of our control - it is a browser specific issue) is to press the Ctrl and F5 keys at the same time. This instructs your browser to get a fresh copy of the site which will give you the content you need.

The 404 pages are most likely the same story. I haven't seen any of them lately but it could very well be the time that the site was hammered and you happened to click one of the links or visit the content, or a cache issue.

There is a maintenance plan in play at the moment (for the next month or so). Servers will be upgraded and we will also change the forum software to something more modern, with a lot more features for you to enjoy.

Security has always been our main focus here. We want to make sure that we have the best forum software that offers the highest security and the best features.

I will follow up with you shortly as these are not plans yet materialized. Once I have the timeline ready I will make the necessary announcements.

That month or so has passed and gone.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

AnjelLuvs

As a PhD student, I consider myself at least mildly intelligent, but I don't understand your analogy at all.
Lol, I dont know if that shade or not but I feel a lil chill...

Gap = Beverly/LHCF
Shirt = Subscription

You brought subscription , you cant tell owner how to run, but of course you can make suggestions...

But yea that may seem harsh as you just asked when upgrade is happening, whateva... Lol...okay RH time.... :lachen::lol:

JustSitNBePretty

Lol, I dont know if that shade or not but I feel a lil chill...

Gap = Beverly/LHCF
Shirt = Subscription

You brought subscription , you cant tell owner how to run, but of course you can make suggestions...

But yea that may seem harsh as you just asked when upgrade is happening, whateva... Lol...okay RH time.... :lachen::lol:
I wasn't trying to throw shade. Someone buying a shirt is a one-time thing. They buy because they see it, like it and wear it. How are you comparing buying a product already manufactured to someone's ongoing experience and yearly fee with a company or forum? If someone pays continuously for something they can ask questions about it or make suggestions for improvement, particularly if there is a problem with what they are paying for. Buying a shirt is completely different.

Enjoy RHOA. I'll watch it when it gets put up online at 12AM. No cable over. I'd rather spend my money on LHCF than cable anyway.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Wildchild453

When I hit waist I stop
In the past, there used to be skins. I remember using the plain black and white one at school so people weren't in my business.

fasika

Are people seriously arguing that paying customers of a service have no say in what kind of service they get?

Please go back to the Kim K. fake booty threads and leave this thread to grown-ups.

OP, I support you. Lately I don't get the 404 messages, but the page takes a while to update after I post. I mean, my post shows up in the thread, but in the main page, the thread doesn't look 'read' and looks like there's a new post that I didn't see even if I'm the last poster. I agree about the app.

AnjelLuvs

Are people seriously arguing that paying customers of a service have no say in what kind of service they get?

Please go back to the Kim K. fake booty threads and leave this thread to grown-ups.

OP, I support you. Lately I don't get the 404 messages, but the page takes a while to update after I post. I mean, my post shows up in the thread, but in the main page, the thread doesn't look 'read' and looks like there's a new post that I didn't see even if I'm the last poster. I agree about the app.
YESSSS!!!! Okay so tell me this since this is such a liberal board where you ask and it is received why the code words for talking about sex, etc. etc.. LMAO.. Anyways, I hope the aforementioned upgrade comes speedy... :yep:

ambergirl

The more interesting part to me is that Nikos said people are trying to deliberately take the site down. Disgruntled former members? I tell you this place gets creepier all the time. If the choice is upgrade vs. security I would pick security too.

fasika

YESSSS!!!! Okay so tell me this since this is such a liberal board where you ask and it is received why the code words for talking about sex, etc. etc.. LMAO.. Anyways, I hope the aforementioned upgrade comes speedy... :yep:

Oh dear.

You compared this to Gap products. No. We paid for a service, not a physical good.

A more appropriate comparison would be cable/internet service from Verizon/Comcast/etc. It's a continuous contract. If you pay for their service, you do so with the expectations that they will give you uninterrupted connection to the internet. You have the right to ask Verizon/Comcast to give you solid connectivity for the entire duration of your contract. If there's a problem with the service, you have the right to contact them and ask them to fix it. Last I checked, they do so. They don't tell you to *** off since you don't set the rules. WTF.

However, as part of the contract, they have the right to put in place terms of service. For instance, they may not allow you to illegally download movies through their network, or access certain sites, etc. They have the right to do so.

This is not any different. We expect, as paying customers, that the problems with the service we pay for get fixed in an appropriate time delay. In return, there are terms of service, including forum rules.
This is not about liberalism (WTF), but about common business practices.

fasika

The more interesting part to me is that Nikos said people are trying to deliberately take the site down. Disgruntled former members? I tell you this place gets creepier all the time. If the choice is upgrade vs. security I would pick security too.

There's no reason to suspect former members. It happens to lots and lots of sites, including famous ones, and that doesn't stop them from making updates.

There's another forum I post on that was unavailable a few months ago because of a random DOS attack. The forum was offline for days. It's a free forum that gets updated regularly.

AnjelLuvs

fasika, ok poor example, but not necessary for a dissertation... :perplexed... BTW, you cant tell a cable provider to upgrade their site, they upgrade when they so please...

Anyways, I initially just came in here like wait, you tried of same ole, and want a upgrade how dare you, just for $6.50. I didnt know there was already an upgrade in place... :yep:

fasika

Well I gave you the 'dissertation' since you seemed to take it personally that people don't want 404 messages and want to imbed videos in threads, as is the case in even free sites, and made a weird comparison. eta: no, you can't tell them to upgrade, but you can tell them to fix the problem. If an upgrade is what does it, they'll do it themselves without your prompting.

Anyway, back to the topic.

Last edited:

AnjelLuvs

Well I gave you the 'dissertation' since you seemed to take it personally that people don't want 404 messages and want to imbed videos in threads, as is the case in even free sites, and made a weird comparison. eta: no, you can't tell them to upgrade, but you can tell them to fix the problem. If an upgrade is what does it, they'll do it themselves without your prompting.

Anyway, back to the topic.
Funny that you say this, cause I said the same in other posts.... :lachen:
Wonders if Nikos set with this site?... I mean he cant contract someone to do it for him...

Misseyl

I've said it before that my IT friend in college programmed websites over the weekend for fun that looked and behaved better than this :look:

Why can't OP complain if she wants. She's a paying customer. We are not giving donations. Though I don't think this thread will go well with the people you've tagged :look:

Yep, how true. Plus this is not a way to build good customer relations. I know I didn't like the tone of her response.

Change is good and while I may not be able to understand it at first, gradually it will come to me.

Kurlee

Girl bye! No people were complaining about the general look and feel, and how they wanted the old forum back.. I was here... I would welcome an upgrade, but not pressed... If you don't like things, move on... :rolleyes:
:yep:

i distinctly remember people complaining that it was too bright/white.:rolleyes:

Natty_Virgo

So a upgrade is in the works? I like the info on this site but its getting ridiculous.

Sent from my fantabulous Note 4 using LHCF

lux10023

so like what the heck is going on with this forum, the search feature doesnt work now? pseudo janky?:ohwell::lol:

i remember someone disgruntled saying that lhcf is gonna learn today but it seems like that day has truly come!!!!:lachen::look::perplexed

fatimablush

I cannot post on any browser from my laptop...explorer, Google chrome, Firefox, aol...nothing. I have to post on my IPad or phone. I get the maintenance screen. This has been going on for a month.

Natty_Virgo

I'm about to be on my Kanye tip yelling they don't care about us if we don't get some kinda response soon lmao

Sent from my fantabulous Note 4 using LHCF

GoldenRule

I cannot post on any browser from my laptop...explorer, Google chrome, Firefox, aol...nothing. I have to post on my IPad or phone. I get the maintenance screen. This has been going on for a month.

fatimablush, you need to clear your cache. In Firefox go into HISTORY --CLEAR RECENT HISTORY. Click on the little arrow next to details and select what you want to clear. I usually clear everything but you do not have to, I think just that cache will do it if not, cache and cookies. You'll be able to come right back in.