When should you do hard protein treatment right before or after your relaxer?

Discussion in 'Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion' started by Quita3514, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Quita3514

Quita3514 New Member

I have been using a fair amount of heat on my hair and I'm about to relax at 8 weeks post and I was wondering if protein builds the hair up wouldn't it be more sensible to do a hard aphogee protein treatment right after your relaxer since the protein bonds have been broken down? But I've heard you're supposed to do them right before a relaxer..idk does anyone know?

www.startinfromsquareone.blogspot.com

2. Quita3514

Quita3514 New Member

3. Americka

Americka New Member

It depends on the individual. Some folks do a hard protein treatment the week prior to relaxing and some do it the week after. Some do both. I think a solid argument can be made for either choice.

4. Leonine523

Leonine523 New Member

I do a hard protein (Aphogee) treatment one week before I relax, the last wash/condition session before relaxing. Then I do another hard protein treatment the first wash after relaxing which is usually four days to one week after I my touch up. I also do a mid-step protein treatment (Aphogee 2 min) after I relax and before I neutralize. My 4a/4b loves its protein! :yep:

5. lovelexi

lovelexi New Member

My hair is 4a with fine strands my hair needs the extra protein so I do a hard protein a week before a relaxer and about a week after. Logically it seems to make sense to do it after but my purpose of doing it before is to add extra protection to the strands. And I do it after to bring my hair back into shape. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to this question.

6. IDareT'sHair

IDareT'sHair Get Your Haul On

What they all Said. 1 Week before and 1 Week After. (I also do a mid-protein step after relaxing prior to neutralizing).

7. LushLox

LushLox New Member

For me it is best to do it a week before my relaxer as a preventative measure. My hair is too fine and vulnerable to do a hard protein treatment one week post relaxer. The light/medium proteins serves this purpose well for me.