When should you use a hot oil treatment?

Pumpkin

I spoke to Marvin and he said I should use V05 Hot oil treatment. However, I was wondering if I should put it in before or after I shampoo?

vevster

I am doing mine before; Marvin said that I have to be careful w/ oils so a pretreat is the way to go. (for me at least!) /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

LondonDiva

I do mine after I shampoo. For some reason I just can't put products on my hair when it's dry before a hair wash. They just don't absorb/take well, and for me it's better when wet. Maybe because I don't comb thru my hair when it's dry that I don't put anything on it before.

**shrugs** I dunno, I think I'm confusing myself lol /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

beana3

honestly, pretreats with oil do nothing for my hair, i've experimented with removing the pre oils from my wash regime and i've received better results without it!!! i can't explain this exactly but, you know how everyone raves about the detangling benefits and more shine sfterwards??? I get none of that. Since i didn't see how it couild be harmful to my hair in any way i hjust kept doing them until i couldn't stand the additional hour it put on my regime time. plus the oils dripping on my face made me feel gucky.

I still do pretrests but maybe once every 6-8 weeks or so. i have done hot oil deep conditionings, but i must say i NEVER like to put straight oils on my hair during my wash routine. I only do these if my hair is seriously dry. So now if i want to add oils and give myself a "hotoil" treatment, i just put one part oils and 1 part conditioner.

Tonya

Coudl some one please post the proper procedure for hot oil treatments both before and after wash? I need one badl;y adn I have forgotten how to do them... /images/graemlins/confused.gif

beana3

pretreats: I used to mist my hair with warm water so that it was damp, then i would apply warm oil to my hair and cover it with 2 plastic bags and a towel and clean and do whatever for 15mins-1hr, some people sit under a dryer, but i let the natural heat from my body heat it up. then i would rinse my hair and proceed to shamp and condition as usual.
I used to be a "nut" about pretreats.. i used all kinds of concoctions...
1) olive oil,honey, mayo
2) str8 olive oil
3) olive oil, coconut oil, honey, blackstrap molasses
4) alma powder, coconut oil, olive oil
to name a few... while i was doing them i felt like i was getting results. I do them now if i blow my hair dry, just something i do as a precaution to ease the pain of doing something i know is not good for my hair.

as a deep conditioner: apply oils after hair has been washed, cover with 2 or so plastic caps, sit under the drier for 20mins-1hr or just let it penetrate by itself. rinse WELL, very important that you do this. and proceed as usual.

mixed w/ condit: i like this more for both pretreats and deep conditionings, i just mix equal parts and go. with the pretreat i leave it on for 10 mins and wash and conditon, its a good way to get rid of conditioners that didn't really work for you ( i dont feel bad about my PJ ism when i use everything i buy /images/graemlins/wink.gif )
as a deep conditioner mix oils and a conditioner you like and deep condition as usual.

For the Vo5 hot oil treAtment, it says to wet your hair then apply the hot oil for one minute then you shampoo. Some hot oil treatments you're suppose to put it after you shampoo. Jus look at the directions on the hot oil that you buy.

vevster

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
So now if i want to add oils and give myself a "hotoil" treatment, i just put one part oils and 1 part conditioner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm.... that sounds like a great idea!