When to Trash Shampoo/Conditioner?

mrsbookworm

I am a true product junkie. I buy so many products that I often don't get around to using all of the product until 1 year or more after I've bought it. I know all the rules for trashing make-up. What are the rules for trashing shampoos and conditioner? What is their shelf life?

I have a huge bottle of Affirm 5-in-1 reconstructor that I've had for over 1 year. I do NOT want to trash it because it was so pricey.:ohwell: Help . . .

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
I only trash stuff if something's wrong with it, i.e it changed colors, smells different, changed consistency.

LynnieB

errr.........when it's been sitting so long in your closet that when you unscrew the cap all the extra product on it has changed colors and dried up????

:grin::lol:

btdt - gs (been there done that - got some)

frizzy

I only trash stuff when the bottle is empty, I can't even bring myself to throw away stuff I don't plan on using, thinking maybe I'll give it away or something. If it's dried-up, add water and shake or stir. :ohwell: I mixed some 5 year old lotions up the other day that I now use on my feet :eek: Heck, I've started saving empties so I can mix up other stuff :perplexed .

Yes, I do need help letting go...

CAPlush

I think most of the synthetic stuff has tons of preservatives. I would worry more about the natural products expiring.

rdm

Another thing to consider....conditioners and lotions are made of ingredients that microbes like. In other words, those open, old bottles of product are the perfect breeding ground for bacteria and mold.....yuck!!!!

I agree..if it smells different, looks different or feels different...ditch it!!!

Babygurl

rdm said:
Another thing to consider....conditioners and lotions are made of ingredients that microbes like. In other words, those open, old bottles of product are the perfect breeding ground for bacteria and mold.....yuck!!!!

I agree..if it smells different, looks different or feels different...ditch it!!!

I agree and I can attest to the fact that Affirm 5n1...last a long while...I buy the 32 oz bottle and it usually takes me almost 2 years to use it all.

LocksOfLuV

People will probably call me the most wasteful thang ever, but if it has bad effects on my hair, I will straight pitch it or give it away. Some conditioners double as good skin moisturizers if they smell good, but if they don't smell good, or my mom/sis/nephew don't need them I will throw them away. I tried to take them to the food pantry but they don't me they don't take opened stuff, so shyet, it goes in the trash.:lol: No need of wasting room.

Arcadian

LocksOfLuV said:
People will probably call me the most wasteful thang ever, but if it has bad effects on my hair, I will straight pitch it or give it away. Some conditioners double as good skin moisturizers if they smell good, but if they don't smell good, or my mom/sis/nephew don't need them I will throw them away. I tried to take them to the food pantry but they don't me they don't take opened stuff, so shyet, it goes in the trash.:lol: No need of wasting room.

I know thats right. I do this too. My mother loves it when I buy something I can't use, especially in the case of the Aveda stuff...more stuff for her...:lol:

-A