When your job asks you to compromise your integrity

gone_fishing

I work in a law office. Already I'm sure you can see the dilemma. My boss is a nice man and says he's a christian but often times his actions prove otherwise.

He often gets frustrated with me for minor things like not telling a client he's not there when he doesn't want to be bothered. In this instance, I tell him if he wants me to tell the client he's not there...he has to leave the office...go down the hall...or something so I can say he's not in the office right now. He rolls his eyes but he does it.

Well, this wasn't really an integrity check but it was a crisis of conscience that would cost me my job if my boss found out, I'm sure.

I have a client who purchased a home that was built on a water table. There is a lot of mold and water damage as a result and she retained our firm to sue the builder of the home.

The case was filed a few years ago but was not brought to trial until this year. About a week before the trial, our firm decided to dismiss the case saying that we couldn't win the trial because we were still missing an expert witness - someone to testify as to the mold damage in the home.

Our client is very passive and she's been through a lot. She's spent 30K on legal fees, has lost her job due to a back injury and is in a home that she cannot sell because of the damage.

When we dismissed her case it was explained to her that she could re-file once she got the expert she needed. We could not ask the Court for a continuance of the trial because we had already gotten one so our only option was to take a voluntary dismissal and refile so the "clock" could start again and we could get a new trial date on the new law suit.

Anyway, I feel like our firm screwed her over because someone "not naming any names" should have told her that she needed this mold expert ions ago....I mean this case is 2 years old and he uses that as the reason he needs to dismiss.

Now I handle mostly family law cases but I did work on this case a little and I was on the phone quite a bit with this lady who cried because here she is her whole life savings gone...lives in a flooding house and has no job.

To top it off the company we sued came back and sued her for expenses they had to pay their attorney for responding to the lawsuit we dismissed. They wanted 14K in deposition expenses and discovery.

My boss basically blew this lady off. He told her that he couldn't refile unless she had the money to refile. He knew she didn't have it. :nono:

He was wrong for dismissing her lawsuit and not telling her she needed and expert in order to proceed to trial.

I felt so bad for her...and she was ready to give up. She said forget it. i don't know what else to do. I guess I'll just have to eat the 30K and deal with my losses.

I finally told her to do something legal personnell should NEVER tell their clients to do.

I told her to write my boss a letter and tell him that she is not satisfied with her service and that she feels she wasted 30K litigating a case that never went to trial. I told her to say that he ought to refile the case and not charge her for whatever work needs to be done to take her to the point she was before he dismissed it.

I told her that this should get his attention and that she should just go ahead and call the bar if he won't help her and I told her to add that to her letter too.

My loyalty is divided because I need this job obviously, but I couln't just let this go.

She did write the email and my boss was very very mad although he didn't know the source of the email.

He is now going to see her next Tuesday to refile her lawsuit.

Our client called today to say thank you and how wonderful I was for helping her when no one else would.

I hope I did the right thing.

So my questions is, did I do the right thing and how do you, as christians, living and working in a non-christian environment handle yourself if you are asked to do something that is not right...maybe it's not plain wrong and sinful such as blatant lying but turning your back on unfair treatment of people in general.

Last edited:

PinkPebbles

Adequate

I believe you did the right thing:yep:! God puts us in environments and positions to be a blessing....

donna894

You did the right thing. I just hope this client understand to NEVER mention to your boss that you were the source of her information. Also this isn't the first time your boss has done something which compromises your integrity, and it surely won't be the last. You might want to start networking and seeing what other opportunities are out there just in case you decide to make a change.

envybeauty

As for the case, she should consider contacting the NC State Bar to have them file a disciplinary action against him and she should also seek counsel as to a possible malpractice suit. Not a popular option, especially in small legal communities (like in NC), but there nonetheless.

cabellera

Your loyalty isn't divided, you had the knowledge and you chose to act and assist an individual in need. In acts of the HEART, you'll get a pat on the back and a "way ta go!"

However, you will also have to deal with the fact that you've just underminded your employer and that's not right either. :nono: You're still there and receiving the money from the very folk that you claim don't always operate with integrity. Now, that's your dilemma. Should you stay or should you leave such an environment.

If you choose to stay and work among the vipers or wolves, little lamb...then you need to get smarter and a little more saavy.

When your Boss doesn't want to take a call. He's then made himself unavailable. He doesn't have to go down the hall, leave his office....he just doesn't want to come to the phone! No biggie. All you say to the caller is that "Mr. XXX is unavailable, may I a take a message...etc." Which you merely told the truth, Mr. XXX is inaccessible and unobtainable to the caller at this time. Take it no further than that.

Should YOU have told the woman what to do? Well it took some guts, cause you have a slight inkling that your job is now at stake. If your Boss finds out it was you...well, I don't think you'd have posted about this if you weren't worried about that. SO DON'T! SAY IT! "I AM NOT GOING TO WORRY ABOUT THIS! EVERYTHING WILL BE ALRIGHT!"

Leave it be....and please Lawd....don't let her have posted from her work computer! :grin:

You sound like a champion, maybe non-profit legal work is better fit for you! Good luck!

gone_fishing

As for the case, she should consider contacting the NC State Bar to have them file a disciplinary action against him and she should also seek counsel as to a possible malpractice suit. Not a popular option, especially in small legal communities (like in NC), but there nonetheless.

I instructed her to do this if he decided not to refile. Paying a new attorney to review her entire case and refile...well she definitely would have had to pay then. Now, he will refile...and hopefully she will get the help she needs. I will try to have this case assigned to me primarily so I can stay on top of it this time.

Crystal

In my opinion, I think once your boss finds out you might get fired. Morally what you did may be right.. but I don't about ethically in a business sense.

In my opinion, the legal field is not for the faint of heart. I had a friend who left the field all together because he wasn't sleeping at night. Defending child molesters and stuff, he said, "How am I supposed to get into heaven defending guilty people" He thought about switching his areas but he said it's all shady. He couldn't handle it.

I'm not in the legal field but I do have Clients and customers and I'm bound by a contract on what I can and can't tell them we operate ethically but we are a business. Yes, we charge them 100K for a 20K part and if I pulled them aside and let them know that, I'd be fired. I know it's different because these are companies and not individuals but the underlying principal is the same.

Well, you seem like a good person and I hope it all works out for you but I personally couldn't have a job where I had to compromise my ethics.

Ms Adequate....

Wish there were more like you here on the coast. Sadly, alot of Marines get swindled out of $$$ dealing with shady attorneys. I believe you did the right thing, I would have done the same but I would ensure that I covered my tracks.....Note to self, if your boss acted unethical towards this client, imagine what he will do to his colleagues and /or employees. :yep:
Be careful......

CaribbeanQueen

Well, you seem like a good person and I hope it all works out for you but I personally couldn't have a job where I had to compromise my ethics.

I feel you did the right thing Adequate but Crystal makes a very good point.
You helped out a client this time but what will you do when something like this happens again?