where all my ladies with short tapered cuts???

PoisedNPolished

Hey!!! My hair is short and I am growing it out. When I was wearing the cut I relaxed every 6-8 weeks. Now that I am growing it out I am stretching until my hair says otherwise. I can flatiron and go without a relaxer but I am wearing wigs and half wigs as a protective style. I also wore micros for about 2 months and got some good growth. Hope that helps!

JaneiR36

I cut my hair four months ago. It's now between 4 and 7 inches so that gives you an idea how short I cut it. Someone from work very nicely said "I had carpet with longer hair than you when you first cut it". (Don't worry I've said meaner things to the SOB :D )

Other than researching here for the best products to use, I haven't really LCHFed my routine to the max, so sorry if I'm missing key elements. I learned about Nairobi products which give me the style I want. I'm relaxing every eight weeks so far. With really short hair that you wear out, I personally think it can be challenging to stretch (very early on) because the natural hair wants to stand straight up and the relaxed portion is too short to pull it down.

I'm washing once per week with ORS Olive oil shampoo. This wasn't a special choice, I just happened to have it from some PJ days. But I really do like it. Condish in the shower so no more than about 10 mins really using Nexxus Humectress + plastic cap. Then I use Nairobi soft finish leave in and wrap with their foaming wrap. Sit under the dryer on medium for 1hr which is getting to be not long enough due to thicker hair and using foam wrap lotion liberally :(. Then I flat iron with a 1/2" wide chi I bought from Sally Beauty. I do flat iron the hair daily before work. I apply like a peanut size of Pantene relaxed and natural moisturizing lotion that I previously mixed with some olive oil, and a similar size of Neutrogena triple moisture silk touch leave in cream. Put the scarf back on, put on a shower cap, shower, then come back and flat iron the hair when I'm ready. I try to do one pass max of the flat iron per hair section. Finally, I'd like to incorporate using a reconstructor but I'm not sure whether to do it myself or just have the hairdresser do it after my relaxer so I don't have to deal with the process.

I'm conflicted with my short hair. I mostly pulled it back when it was longer other than a brief period when I colored it red and wore it out (it subsequently had to be cut due to color damage but it's not the most recent cut either). Anyway I'm really liking the short hair, enjoying wearing it out and not sure if I'll grow it out or not. Log hair just seems like the default way to go but to maintain short hair you have to chop it off everytime it grows. If I grow it out I think I'd like to have a bit more fun with my hair this time.

Shinka

I have worn tapered hair and bobs since '02. I have been on the board after that and maintain this look almost involuntarily cause I kept BC almost once a year since like '03/04 after my hair grew grew to 4-6 inches.

Right now my hair is about ear length and I have grow out about an inch of hair where it was shaved in the back. I actually prefer short/medium hair and I'm trying to grow my hair to medium length ( mid neck length bob).

I mostly use the cathy howse method no matter if its an inch or 6. I wash usually every 3 days, alternate moisturizing, protein dc, rollerset or airdry and use a curling iron to straighten/curl hair. I pin curl or wrap at night.

I used a no lye when I relaxed from a almost 1yr BC. so my ends are thin and my roots are thicker since using Mizani Lye for fine hair( relax about 6-8 weeks). I have about a little less of inch of new growth from 5 weeks of braids, which ripped out my edges :(

Right now, I am trying to decided if I should begin to transition by blow drying and flat-ironing this new growth or continue to relax with lye. Either way, I need to slowly cut away the thin ends.

My dilemma is that my focus is weight loss and I sweat like a pig lol. So I am thinking relaxed hair would be more manageable during this weight loss journey than being upset about poofy/reverting roots which would cause me to use more heat & eventually damage both natural and relaxed ends. after my braid fiasco i refuse to add any fake hair and I not a fan of wigs.

Any suggestions are helpful.

Last edited:

shasha8685

I'm going my hair out from a short cut I got in Jan. 09 (see my avatar). For the first 6-7 months I had my cut, I washed and deep conditioned my hair at least 2x a week, alternating between protein and moisture deep conditioning. I did this because I was using a ton of heat to make sure my hair was styled each day. I made sure to use heat protectant every time I flat ironed.

I relaxed every 12 weeks (still do) and often used a wig (cut similarly to my cut) to protective style once my relaxer stretch became too much for me to handle.

The longer my hair got, the more I began to incorporate protective styling (phony ponies, braids, buns). I now wash and and deep condition one time a week since i don't use as much heat. :yep:

LoveisYou

Currently growing out a short cut. I relax every 8 weeks, but I plan to stretch my relaxers longer by getting sew ins for the winter months. This will also cut down on the amount of heat I use on my hair.

back2relaxed

I am currently wearing my pixie, proudly! Lol.

I grew my hair out from a natural TWA to relaxed APL, but after my wedding, got bored w/the longer hair. Which I do every few years. This time however I cut it shorter than I ever have. I am in love with it. I'm not anywhere near grow out mode. I get a cut every 6 weeks or so. I get relaxed every 6 weeks as well. My hair is super coarse and very thick. I try to keep my cut really short, so that the style works on its own w/o the use of much heat. I get it professionally styled every other week, most of the time.

When I grow it out, don't know when, I don't want longer hair. I want to keep a medium length bob, so that the hair has some sort of style. Maybe I'll start that process next Fall???

My stylist uses Affirm Dry and Itchy relaxer. I maintain at home with mostly all Keracare products. When I wash at home I sit under the dryer most of the time. But will airdry if I'm lazy. I've now learned that even my shrot hair needs "care". At first I wasn't doing my DCs or necessarily washing weekly, and my scalp was gross! So now I'm washing weekly as I always have.

When I decide to seriously grow it out, I will wear weave or braids.

Good luck with your grow out!

Hey short hair ladies,

Im so glad to see that there are still womens out here working them short styles!!! I recently cut my hair into a very short cut. I love it soo much, but it has started to become a challenge. Its expensive doing my hair every week, and I haven’t learned how to maintain my hair in btwn the salon visits. Can you ladies offer me any tips? What products work great? (example: wrapping lotion) How to sleep, etc…

back2relaxed

Do you have a pic of your cut, or can you describe it? Maybe a celeb who has a similar style. When I do my own hair(when its long enough) I don't style it like my stylist, I can't! I will usually just wear it parted on the side w/a side swept bang and I'll flat iron it pretty flat. Now that I've cut it shorter(think Halle), I just wash it, mold it, then use my small flat irons to spike the top. It takes a few mishaps, but you'll get the styling down. I don't go to the salon weekly, usually every other, sometimes every 3 weeks, it just depends. I wash on my own. I use mostly Keracare products, the shampoo, conditioner, deep conditioner, moisturizing hair dress. I use elasta qp glaze and also mizani soft defining gel, to spike the front, or even to help my hair lay down if I'm going for the flat look. You will have to experiment with products to see what will work for you. Ask your stylist for recommendations for at home maintenance as well.

As far as maintaining in btwn, after I've been to the salon, I really don't do anything to it. I sleep "cute" if you will. On a satin pillowcase, in case my head touches the pillow, but I usually sleep on my arm. I don't wrap it at all. I do moisturize the back and sides and the top daily.

Quita3514

Thank u ladies for all the advice I really did need it..since I'm a beginner I just wish there was more out here on the forums to take care of short hair and the in between stages when growin it out..and shinka I think relaxed would be better when workin out cause it would be a pain to keep straightenin it out after workin out

www.startinfromsquareone.blogspot.com

LoveisYou

Hey short hair ladies,

Im so glad to see that there are still womens out here working them short styles!!! I recently cut my hair into a very short cut. I love it soo much, but it has started to become a challenge. Its expensive doing my hair every week, and I haven’t learned how to maintain my hair in btwn the salon visits. Can you ladies offer me any tips? What products work great? (example: wrapping lotion) How to sleep, etc…

This youtuber has some great tuts on short hair
YouTube - prettysecretAZ's Channel

I've worn short hair for years, so here are my tips:

1. Bumble and Bumble sumo tech is a must have, it's excellent for keeping your sides in place without the look and feel of gel. It's also great for molding hair after curling w/ flat iron.
2. get a ceramic flat iron
3. wash and deep condition every week, I personally did not use a wrapping lotion as they make my hair crunchy. I use to apply a leave in on wet hair, comb hair flat to head, tied those white strip things around my sides and sit under the dryer until I was dry.
4. After I would add some oil or serum and curl with the flat iron
5. At night I tie my sides down and slept on a satin pillow case
6. If necessary I would touch up my hair with the curling iron mid-week

By doing the above, I only went to the salon once per month.

HTH

Shinka

Love is You,

Yes, I bought my first flat iron today, FHI platform and I don't know how I have gone without for years. I LOVE it. it made new growth so smooth.

I am going to heat train cause I really don't want to relax. I will check out the bumble product. I tend use moisturizer which reverts or curls up the hair and gels dries it out over time.

back2relaxed

Hey!!! My hair is short and I am growing it out. When I was wearing the cut I relaxed every 6-8 weeks. Now that I am growing it out I am stretching until my hair says otherwise. I can flatiron and go without a relaxer but I am wearing wigs and half wigs as a protective style. I also wore micros for about 2 months and got some good growth. Hope that helps!

I loved your short cut!! It fit you to a "T". What made you decide to start growing it out? I am loving my short style, and right now can't see a timeframe of when I'll want longer hair. I was just wondering what made you go for a longer look? How long have you worn your hair short? Also, I love the siggy pic, what did you do to obtain that style? TIA!

RegaLady

I also have to agree with back2relaxed, PNP, you ROCK in short cuts:lick:. You have the face for it and look. Why are you deciding to grow your hair it? Short cuts works for you.

Back2relax, you look great in yours too:yep:. I have to admit, ladies, I was once an avid short cut wearer and not a day goes by that I don't think about going back. I LOVED when I had it. I will give this(growing my hair out) a shot, and if it don't work, I am coming back home, lol.

PoisedNPolished

Hey Ladies!!! Sorry didn't know you all had questions :)... well I have NEVER EVER IN MY LONG LEGGED LIFE had long hair. I was a bald kid, a bald teen and a bald adult :look:... mostly due to horrible hair care decisions from my mom and then myself. I have finally found the answer which is not dragging the relaxer down to the ends, protective styles and protein/moisture balance. So my hair is so healthy now I am excited to try and grow it. I will more than likely cut it again:yep:... my hair is not safe around me LOL... I appreciate the compliments. I think short hair suits me as well. But I only had it because I felt I had no other choice, if that makes sense. Now I know I can grow my hair out and I am willing to try it FOR REAL this time!

I have rocked short cuts on and off since the 8th grade. I am 27 now. I always come back to them when breakage happens. But I'm confident no breakage will happen this go round.
The style in my siggy was the day I took my micros out, so no relaxer, I just flat ironed it and messed it up with my hands. There ya go. Short hair is EASY!

Last edited:

Quita3514

Poisednpolished ur hair looks really good short...and thanks loveisyou for the video I found another great tutorial online by a lady named lovelyoverload she just cut her hair soo looks like ill be gettin some styles from her as well..I jus wish my hair would grow already..ugh..I'm goin to the shop for the first time in 2 months since my cut..wish me luck guys..I need a relaxer but I am very hesistant to do it myself...well c how this turns out

Thanks Back2relaxed for all the useful tips... my hair is tappered on the sides, with a lil lenth in the front, and a mohawk type look in the back. its really hard to explain. Similar to Rihannas mohawk..As soon as I get some updated pics, I will post. I will definitely follow ur tips... And U guys look Great!!! with Ur Cuts...

wanwan1007

I cut my hair in September 2009. I'm relaxed and I loved the cut. I have to say for me that the short cut was a lot of work though. Mainly because I work out regularly and also sweat like a pig starting in my hair. My hair is very thick and even with it being relaxed it was something to tangle with after I come home from working out. I had braids and took those out in November. I'm struggling with not going back to my short cut. This in between stage is hard for me. Too short to put in a pony. I've attached pics of my initial cut and my current length. Sorry for the sideways pics and the large size. I don't know why they came in that way. I know a post without pics is not worth much on LHCF.

Attachments

• IMG_0238.jpg
    IMG_0238.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0251.jpg
    IMG_0251.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0255.jpg
    IMG_0255.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0655.jpg
    IMG_0655.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 64

ClassyDiva

Well I relaxed once a month before.... but since I kept braids like senegelese or micros for 6 to 8 months straight..... I would relax after and wait a few weeks and rebraid. Here's my hair before in 2007:

Very short all over and pretty much less than an inch at the nape.

Here is my hair as of today:

Slowly growing but im happy it is.

Sent from my DROID2 using Long Hair Care Forum App

kandake

I started out my journey wearing half-wigs. I wore them for close to a year until the back/tapered hair grew out. I couldn't imagine growing my hair out without hiding it. I'm sure I would have been tempted to cut it because the grow out phase is so awkward.

My hair is currently about two inches longer than my avi. pic. Now, I'm back in my half-wigs trying to get over the bottom of neck length/shoulder length hump.

My starting pic is attached.

Attachments

• me2Copy-vi.jpg
    me2Copy-vi.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 43

Quita3514

So kandake with the half wigs what do you do to your hair underneath? Do you receive any breakage from the combs in the wig?

Whimsy

Hey Quita, Are you typing your blog name in each post? You know you can put your blog in your signature so you don't have to type it into every post. Go to the User CP and click on signature so you can save some effort.

Quita3514

Thank u so much..I'm using my app for my phone so it automatically puts my sig there

MsPisces44

Good morning,
It was good to read all the comments and I appreciate the feedback. I have transition from locks to a perm and I love my hair now and before but my cut is short and I want it to get thicker on top bc the locks where pulled alot. I'm using Mizani Butter blend and my stylist is telling me no more bc I need to used a no-lye. What's a good no-lye that will keep my hair moisturize, healthy and strong.

ReignLocks

Short haired ladies ROCK! I'm so glad to find some of us on here. We are far and few with all the hair swinging going on...lol. I must say that these women are so inspirational for me because my hair was burned out and they have been so helpful with me growing my hair back. I use to have hair past my bra strap and I plan to get back to that point and beyond.

Some things that I have learned are to take care of my ends, the oldest part of my hair, to have an equal balance of moisture and protein, not to jump on every bandwagon because it worked for someone else, find a regime and stick with it and learn what your hair thrives on and needs because everyone is different. I've learned the PROPER way to comb my hair, how to properly dc, the stress of direct heat, the benefits of a steamer and how to take an overall stance on healthy hair. You have to practice healthy habits then the long hair will come.

I've learned about the tons of acronyms and what they mean, the correct way to use oils, and how ps'ing is a big part in retaining long hair.

I have a notebook that I take notes in and I write down what I have been doing with my hair so that I can see trends which in turn will identify what works. With my relaxed, short hair, I have to relax about every 6-8 weeks because I am growing out my shaved hair in the back but when it gets longer, I plan to stretch that longer.