Where Are All My Type 3 Naturals?!!

NaturalShe94

Everytime I hit the type 3 threads in the search, all of them are old!!
I see loads of type 4 threads, but my type 3's where are youuuu?! Lol.

I'm a 3b natural and my goal is TBL.
I want to hear from the rest of you?!
What's your goals
Current lengths
Regimens
Favorite styles
Anything! Lol! I just want to start a type 3 hair care thread!

SmilingElephant

Everytime I hit the type 3 threads in the search, all of them are old!!
I see loads of type 4 threads, but my type 3's where are youuuu?! Lol.

I'm a 3b natural and my goal is TBL.
I want to hear from the rest of you?!
What's your goals
Current lengths
Regimens
Favorite styles
Anything! Lol! I just want to start a type 3 hair care thread!

I'm 3b/3c for the most part but I Co wash every 2-3 days and I just use conditioner and gel and oil my ends and deep condition weekly.

I'm right at Hip length.. reached my goal..now I'm just trying to maintain it all :)

NaturalShe94

I'm 3b/3c for the most part but I Co wash every 2-3 days and I just use conditioner and gel and oil my ends and deep condition weekly.

I'm right at Hip length.. reached my goal..now I'm just trying to maintain it all :)

Hey! I've seen you a lot on other threads and your pics! Lol. You're hair type is so cool. I remember you mentioning your 3c/4a. You can relate to both types and maintaining length! Amazing! Congrats on meeting your goal!

NaturalShe94

I'm 3B! I recently cut my hair from bra strap to shoulder length. My hair grows SUPER fast so I think I'll be at bra strap again by Jan!
I cowash about every 3 days.
Follow up with jojoba oil, she's moisture curl milk, and then KCCC
Once a month I use Aphogee two step.
Twice a month I deep condition.

Your regimen sounds a lot like mine! Yeah, I never worry when I cut my hair... I cut my hair shoulder length and it grew to grazing waist length in 8 months. And then I cut it bra strap length and just made waist length again 3 months later.... I know the super fast growth you're talking about girl. I realized at the times when I felt like my hair wasn't growing, was actually breakage from me putting heat on it like crazy with no protection... I TRY to co wash every three days, never works out that way though, I get lazy. So I water wash every 2/3 days, co wash at the end of the week then shampoo wash twice a month following a deep condition and aphogee two step once a month. I use coconut oil about every 2/3 days as well. What's your hair length goal?

summertimewine

*sips tea*
Your regimen sounds a lot like mine! Yeah, I never worry when I cut my hair... I cut my hair shoulder length and it grew to grazing waist length in 8 months. And then I cut it bra strap length and just made waist length again 3 months later.... I know the super fast growth you're talking about girl. I realized at the times when I felt like my hair wasn't growing, was actually breakage from me putting heat on it like crazy with no protection... I TRY to co wash every three days, never works out that way though, I get lazy. So I water wash every 2/3 days, co wash at the end of the week then shampoo wash twice a month following a deep condition and aphogee two step once a month. I use coconut oil about every 2/3 days as well. What's your hair length goal?
Yes I do water washes when I get lazy :lachen:
My goal is to be waist length curly.
But I might change the goal because my hair is a beast to detangle when it starts to get long. When I was at bra strap length it was taking me a whole hour just to detangle my hair :( and all the conditioner I have to use is astronomical!!! I eventually learned to to just buy my cheapie brands to detangle and my good (expensive) brands to deep condition.
I also only straightened my hair three times while I've been natural (4 years) but I want to get into different styles. It's hard because my hair now is so easy (wash and go) I'm not really interested in twisting or braiding etc lol

NaturalShe94

Yes I do water washes when I get lazy :lachen:
My goal is to be waist length curly.
But I might change the goal because my hair is a beast to detangle when it starts to get long. When I was at bra strap length it was taking me a whole hour just to detangle my hair :( and all the conditioner I have to use is astronomical!!! I eventually learned to to just buy my cheapie brands to detangle and my good (expensive) brands to deep condition.
I also only straightened my hair three times while I've been natural (4 years) but I want to get into different styles. It's hard because my hair now is so easy (wash and go) I'm not really interested in twisting or braiding etc lol

I'm not interested in the braids or twists either. But, i guess thats only because i want my hair to get a little longer first and plus i hate the frizz! I LOVE LOVE LOVE wash n go's. That's my favorite and easiest hair style. Lol. My protective style is a plait in the back rolled into a bun... I use coconut oil to detangle or I'll just detangle when it's wet. Its only hard to detangle when I go more than a week in a wash n go without adding some kind of moisture to it... I use a minimal amount of conditioner for Co washing and I Hot Oil Treat with Parashute Ayurvedic Coconut DC Oil before I shampoo so when it's conditioning time I don't end up using half the bottle.... Lol.

MizzKutieQ

3c here. I keep it simple, it seems like the cheap products I find my hair likes the most. I co wash every 2/3 days I full wash at least once a week sometimes. My hair really likes moisture. I was using Carols Daughter moisturizers but my hair dries out so quickly outside of the dollar tree moisturizer I found.

NaturalShe94

3c here. I keep it simple, it seems like the cheap products I find my hair likes the most. I co wash every 2/3 days I full wash at least once a week sometimes. My hair really likes moisture. I was using Carols Daughter moisturizers but my hair dries out so quickly outside of the dollar tree moisturizer I found.

Yayyyy more the 3s! Lol. Welcome. I've only used Carols Daughter once and I really disliked it. It weighed my hair down like crazy and then dried it out... I use OGX Coconut Milk Poo & Con... My hair loves that stuff... And SM JBCO leave in... What's your length goals?

MizzKutieQ

Yayyyy more the 3s! Lol. Welcome. I've only used Carols Daughter once and I really disliked it. It weighed my hair down like crazy and then dried it out... I use OGX Coconut Milk Poo & Con... My hair loves that stuff... And SM JBCO leave in... What's your length goals?

I'm gonna try true OGX line next.
Hair Goal: Hip Length.
How many times u hear people saying they wish they had curly hair, I love my curly hair, but it's a lot of work.

LdyKamz

I'm not a 3 but for those of you washing every 3 days how are you styling your hair? Are you all wearing wash and gos mainly?

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
The bulk of my hair is 3C but I have areas that are 3B and 4A. My current length is right at waist length. Probably won't claim it until the end of the year cuz my hair grows in a V shape and only the veerery tip of the V is there. Up until this week I was cowashing daily and wet bunning but Sunday I decided to dye my hair red so I'm going back to washing weekly for a while so I don't fade my hair. My goal length is hip or tailbone. I'm happy with either.

NaturalShe94

I'm gonna try true OGX line next.
Hair Goal: Hip Length.
How many times u hear people saying they wish they had curly hair, I love my curly hair, but it's a lot of work.

Girl that OGX is great. The elasticity and hydration it gives my hair is to die for girl.... And yes, a lot of people tell me that a lot too, I love my curls, the pattern changes if I even brush it differently.... Keeping my ends healthy so they won't break is my biggest goal... My short term length goal is Hip... Hoping reach there by December... Ultimate goal is TBL.

I'm not a 3 but for those of you washing every 3 days how are you styling your hair? Are you all wearing wash and gos mainly?

Wash n go's, a high curly ponytail a messy bun or I'll do a flip up..

NaturalShe94

The bulk of my hair is 3C but I have areas that are 3B and 4A. My current length is right at waist length. Probably won't claim it until the end of the year cuz my hair grows in a V shape and only the veerery tip of the V is there. Up until this week I was cowashing daily and wet bunning but Sunday I decided to dye my hair red so I'm going back to washing weekly for a while so I don't fade my hair. My goal length is hip or tailbone. I'm happy with either.

I dyed my hair once in my whole life and it dried my ends out and damaged them.... Ended up having to cut my hair from between Hip n TB length to SL. Don't think I'll ever dye again. I'm afraid of that stuff lol.

Last edited:

Daina

Hi Fellow 3's!!! My hair is a mixture of mostly 3b/3c, I'm regaining my curl pattern after heat damage from too frequent trips to the Dominican salon to straighten. As my curls are returning I am embracing wash and go's more now that it is warm. My usual go to style is a braid out and I also bun or French braid. My current length unstretched is APL and stretched is in-between BSL and MBL, my hair also grows in a V shape and the "V" portion stretched reaches below the bottom of my bra while the very sides are still BSL. My hair used to grow super fast like a few of you have mentioned but I think age has slowed that down a little. I've noticed my hair doesn't grow as fast at 40 like it did when I was in my 20's and 30's.

My current Summer regimen: I co-cleanse once per week and deep condition with heat or steam. I shampoo my scalp only once per month with Keracare Moisturizing shampoo or a clarifying shampoo depending on build-up level. The length of my hair is always co-cleansed with either Wen 613 or Aussie Moist 3MM. Based on my Komaza hair analysis I need to add more protein to my regimen so I also do a protein treatment bi-weekly and use either Komaza protein strengthener or Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor. Every 12 weeks I use the Aphogee 2 step. I love SM JBCO leave-in, it's super hydrating and leaves my hair really soft. I've also increased my usage of ceramides, my hair loves grapeseed oil and jojoba oil and I use WGO on my ends to help protect them. Every 2 days I use an oil mix with Castor oil, EVOO and peppermint oil on my scalp and sparingly on the hair to increase thickness. For my B/O's I use the SM JBCO leave-in and Camille Rose either the Almond Jai twisting butter or the Coconut Water Style Setter and get great results with both. For my WnG's I use either SM JBCO leave-in or SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie and Xtreme Wetline gel. I use limited heat and last November went cold turkey from co-washing and flat ironing weekly to using heat only twice this year. I don't plan to flat iron again until November. I blow-dry on a low setting every 10 weeks so that I can trim which is also based on my Komaza analysis so that I can get rid of the rest of the heat damage. I already see a huge difference in the health and length of my hair. I can't wait to compare pics in November to November of 2015.

Supplements/Other Aides: I have been using Olaplex for 3 months and it has really helped heal my hair, I was using steps 1 and 2 but now I am in maintenance mode and using step 3 only once per month when I shampoo, I also do ACV rinses and in the winter I GHE 2 times per week. I take Chlorella, Spirulina, Hair La Vie (HSN vitamins), MSM (just restarted low dose), Vit. D and Vit. C, and just started taking Collagen. I also drink Beautifully Bamboo tea daily.

@NaturalShe94, thanks so much for starting this thread - great idea! I look forward to chatting, learning and growing with you ladies!

NaturalShe94

Hi Fellow 3's!!! My hair is a mixture of mostly 3b/3c, I'm regaining my curl pattern after heat damage from too frequent trips to the Dominican salon to straighten. As my curls are returning I am embracing wash and go's more now that it is warm. My usual go to style is a braid out and I also bun or French braid. My current length unstretched is APL and stretched is in-between BSL and MBL, my hair also grows in a V shape and the "V" portion stretched reaches below the bottom of my bra while the very sides are still BSL. My hair used to grow super fast like a few of you have mentioned but I think age has slowed that down a little. I've noticed my hair doesn't grow as fast at 40 like it did when I was in my 20's and 30's.

My current Summer regimen: I co-cleanse once per week and deep condition with heat or steam. I shampoo my scalp only once per month with Keracare Moisturizing shampoo or a clarifying shampoo depending on build-up level. The length of my hair is always co-cleansed with either Wen 613 or Aussie Moist 3MM. Based on my Komaza hair analysis I need to add more protein to my regimen so I also do a protein treatment bi-weekly and use either Komaza protein strengthener or Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor. Every 12 weeks I use the Aphogee 2 step. I love SM JBCO leave-in, it's super hydrating and leaves my hair really soft. I've also increased my usage of ceramides, my hair loves grapeseed oil and jojoba oil and I use WGO on my ends to help protect them. Every 2 days I use an oil mix with Castor oil, EVOO and peppermint oil on my scalp and sparingly on the hair to increase thickness. For my B/O's I use the SM JBCO leave-in and Camille Rose either the Almond Jai twisting butter or the Coconut Water Style Setter and get great results with both. For my WnG's I use either SM JBCO leave-in or SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie and Xtreme Wetline gel. I use limited heat and last November went cold turkey from co-washing and flat ironing weekly to using heat only twice this year. I don't plan to flat iron again until November. I blow-dry on a low setting every 10 weeks so that I can trim which is also based on my Komaza analysis so that I can get rid of the rest of the heat damage. I already see a huge difference in the health and length of my hair. I can't wait to compare pics in November to November of 2015.

Supplements/Other Aides: I have been using Olaplex for 3 months and it has really helped heal my hair, I was using steps 1 and 2 but now I am in maintenance mode and using step 3 only once per month when I shampoo, I also do ACV rinses and in the winter I GHE 2 times per week. I take Chlorella, Spirulina, Hair La Vie (HSN vitamins), MSM (just restarted low dose), Vit. D and Vit. C, and just started taking Collagen. I also drink Beautifully Bamboo tea daily.

@NaturalShe94, thanks so much for starting this thread - great idea! I look forward to chatting, learning and growing with you ladies!

Welcome! And not a problem, I'm happy to see there is actually a lot of type 3's here!. I can't wait to see your compared pics as well. I had heat damage and color damage which is now gone, but I chopped it all off at one time and started all the way over from SL in May 2014. I've been doing monthly checks starting last month just to see how fast my hair actually grows.... It has been in great health since I started over and I realize how fast my hair grows once it's healthy, I'm amazed by it.

Autumn~Tint~Of~Gold

Rocking the Casbah
I'm a 3b transitioning. Last relaxer was in late April.
I last transitioned back in 2005 and didnt start relaxing again till 2011 when I relaxed just the back where my hair is curliest then i went fully relaxed in 2012
I realllly want to be rid of all my damaged relaxed hair.

I wish i could shave my head lol.

curlicarib

Lovin'' All of Me
:hiya: Hi fellow 3s!

I'm mostly 3a with some 3b around the edges. My routine is pretty simple. I wash with a sulfate shampoo once a week. Followed with a protein treatment (Nexxus Emergencee, Komaza Protein, Aphogee 2 min, or Ion Vegan Protein). DC with my DC of the week. My current leave-in is Marc Anthony Coconut and Shea Butter Leave-in. Seal with coconut oil and twist. Rinse and repeat.

My hair is MBL stretched and NL-SL unstretched.

My goal is terminal length, wherever that is.

My favorite style is twists - it's protective and versatile. I very rarely wear my hair out.

InsertCleverNameHere

3b/c I usually keep my hair between shoulder and bsl, but I've cut it all the way off a couple of times as well. My hair grows wayyyyyyy faster on one side, so I'm probably a smidge above bsl, but that's probably getting chopped 4 or 5 to even it out again.

I have no goals :lol:

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
I dyed my hair once in my whole life and it dried my ends out and damaged them.... Ended up having to cut my hair from between Hip n TB length to SL. Don't think I'll ever dye again. I'm afraid of that stuff lol.
I dye my hair 4 times a year. I think this is #3. I normally go with blonde but this time they didn't have my normal shade do I chose red. I use the Shea Moisture color system. Never had an issue with breakage or dryness.

NaturalShe94

:hiya: Hi fellow 3s!

I'm mostly 3a with some 3b around the edges. My routine is pretty simple. I wash with a sulfate shampoo once a week. Followed with a protein treatment (Nexxus Emergencee, Komaza Protein, Aphogee 2 min, or Ion Vegan Protein). DC with my DC of the week. My current leave-in is Marc Anthony Coconut and Shea Butter Leave-in. Seal with coconut oil and twist. Rinse and repeat.

My hair is MBL stretched and NL-SL unstretched.

My goal is terminal length, wherever that is.

My favorite style is twists - it's protective and versatile. I very rarely wear my hair out.

You protein treat every week? It doesn't dry your hair out or give you protein overload??

Honey Bee

No ma'am. I get breakage if I don't. I alternate strong one week, then mild the next. So I do Nexxus, Ion, Komaza, Aphogee in that order. I make sure and use really good DCs and steam them in. No problems with overload.
Not a type 3, but I do this too (Nexxus, Ion, Aphogee, and, when I'm pressed for time, Neutral Protein Filler mixed in my dc's). Do you have fine strands?

NaturalShe94

No ma'am. I get breakage if I don't. I alternate strong one week, then mild the next. So I do Nexxus, Ion, Komaza, Aphogee in that order. I make sure and use really good DCs and steam them in. No problems with overload.

Okay. I use a conditioner that has egg whites in it now.... Then I alternate my DC between the SM JBCO strengthen grow and restore hair masque and the SM Frizz Defense Hair masque. Keeps my hair well balanced.
That way I don't have to do a strong protein treatment until about 6 to 8 weeks after. My hair is so strong, I combed it so rough the other night because I was too lazy to finger detangle, and had no breakage.