Where can I find Coconut oil?

marabou1

Hi Bostonians or anyone familiar w/ Boston:

I've been using rosemary oil for months now, but at times would irritate my scalp. When I came to this forum, I learned it was because I needed to mix it with a carrier.

When I went down to atlanta last month. I came across a health store and went in and bought rosemary, coconut, and jojoba oils. I mixed the three and voila, I've concocted my own moisturizer that does wonders for my hair (especially in this cold weather)! Everyone has been complimenting me on how nice my hair has been looking. Since using it, I haven't experienced the irritating itchy dry scalp like I have in the past. It feels and smells good.

The problem I'm having now is finding 100% coconut oil. The ones I've found are all mixed with something else. The one I had was real because it was thick and white as I've been told it should look like, and it melted into oil once I had it in my hand.

Where can I find a good health store where I can easily find all three oils? It was hard for me to find the rosemary oil to begin with, but that same store does not carry coconut oil.

Looking forward to suggestions.

-Marabou

Compassion

Hi /images/graemlins/smile.gif I found my coconut oil at my local health food store also. Hey if I can find it in my state, I'm sure your health food store carries too. The trick is to ask for organic coconut oil. It's all natural, and it comes in a thick white substance. I paid like...I think it was $4.99 for a 16 oz jar. /images/graemlins/scratchchin.gif The jar may even be a tad bigger than that. The jar indicates that the oil can be used for cooking and skin and hair care. I use mine in my conditioners though. Oh, sorry. I'm not from Boston. But I do hope this helps.

Blessings,
Compassion

G

/images/graemlins/wave.gif Hey Sassy, that's the kind I have Spectrum, it's Organic I use it from head to toe.

PS - SASSY..... I got my Tropical Spice in the Mail yesterday, It smells, Greeaaaat!! I just know I'm gonna luv it.

Crysdon

I've been wanting to get this oil for a while now.

I just called my neighborhood health food store and the manager said they do have the coconut oil and it only comes in 16oz jars. I asked the price and he said $6.00 for virgin and $17.00 for the extra-virgin.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but if it's virgin that means it's pure, right? So what's the difference between the two?

nijilah

I am not from Boston, but if you have Spanish or Latin American stores in your area, they usually carry coconut oil there.

marabou1

Thank you all.

Nijilah, I just got off the phone with a friend and she just told me the exact same thing, to try spanish stores.

Will do tonight after the gym.

Thanks again everyone.

-Marabou

Crysdon

Sassygirl is saying that Spectrum is not virgin and has other stuff mixed in with it. I think you may want to try the "un-refined" coconut oil to get the best results.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
Yea, the Spectrum is refined. I use this on my body because it's cheaper and has no smell. The one from Tropical Traditions is unrefined and that's the one I use on my hair. I'm not sure what is done to the oil to "refine" it... I just knew that I saw a big difference between refined and unrefined shea butter so I wanted some unrefined coconut oil, too. The only difference I see is the price, the smell and the taste. Yeah, I tasted them... And? /images/graemlins/grin.gif
I think the unrefined oil is supposed to be better for cooking...

Compassion

Well, guess I'd better look at my jar when I get home. I could have sworn it said unrefined. Hum... maybe I did not pick up the Spectrum Brand as I had thought. /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif Well, what every it is, it does a great job on my hair.

Compassion /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Crysdon

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
The only difference I see is the price, the smell and the taste. Yeah, I tasted them... And?

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you talking 'bout, girl? Don't worry about what anybody else thinks.

That's the first thing I'm going to do when I get my $17 oil. I'm gonna dip my finger into it and take a /images/graemlins/lick.gif. It can't be harmful if it's virgin /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

sweetcocoa

This is posted on the website from Natures Wild Child(came highly recommended by Jade21(and it smells nice).
Virgin Oil de Coco-Creme

This is so much better than any other 'virgin coconut oil' that we've ever seen!

Here are just some of its wonderful qualities:

It's biologically pure, exctracted from fresh coconut milk, using state of the art 'coconut wet process' technology.
Has a high oxidative stability that provides protection to other ingredients without using chemical anti-oxidants, and contains anti-fungal properties, as well.
An excellent source of monolaurin, as well-known antiseptic substance found in lauric acid oils.
Has a very low viscosity that conveys subtleness and a light feel effect which give it excellent spreadability and makes it easy to mix with other ingredients.
Has an extra long shelf life. It's 'official' shelf life listed in the specifications is 2 years. However, our supplier has had a 3rd party laboratory conduct shelf life studies that place it around the '5 years plus' mark. Their reference sample is 1993, and is still viable.
Last but not least: It smells absolutely divine!

marabou1

Wow!

I didn't expect to get so many responses. I appreciate it.

Sweetcocoa, thanks for breaking it down. I may purchase that one online because I went in search for it last night but still couldn't find it anywhere.

Thanks again!

sweetcocoa

I think that one is only available on line. I get my unrefined shea butter(African Natural?) from them also. It is very smooth in texture.

Brownie

Hello,
I just finished my container of the Spectrum coconut oil, and I was happy with the results; It made my new growth soft and it straightened it out. A while back I know someone said that when they air dryed their hair in two ponytails, in the morning their hair looked like two big McDonald arches. Well, I can relate to that, but after I put some coconut oil on my wet new growth (which is in it's 12th week), in the morning it looked as flat as it did after I first braided it. I would also like to add that I used my flat iron a little on a small section of my hair in front, and when I was done, the flat ironed side didn't look too much different from the side that had been smoothed down with coconut oil.

I liked using the Spectrum coconut oil, but I'm looking for something a little more economical than $6 for a small jar, so I ordered a gallon of coconut oil from Cedarvale for $10. I haven't gotten it yet, so I don't know what it tastes or smells like or how refined it is, but I'm sure it'll get the job done.

Jade21

Yea, the Nature's Wildchild Virgin coconut oil is AWESOME..it's great that it has such a long shelflife and if you like the smell of coconut it is simply divine!

~Jade~

P.S. Full credit for the full extent of this site goes to Fudge6!

Crysdon

Ladies,

I just went to the health food store and bought my coconut oil. I bought the refined from GNC for my body and unrefined for my hair.

got the Spectrum Naturals brand. It's organic, unrefined and expeller pressed. The ingredients list: 100% expeller pressed unrefined organic coconut oil. I also saw the refined version, so check your jars and make sure to get the organic version.

Nyambura

surfer girl
I ordered this from Nature's Wild Child too. Don't you just LOVE it? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I owe Jade21 so much for recommending organic products (and supplements)that my hair just loves. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

tippy75

Is there not a way that I can buy a coconut and some kind of way get the oil from it? i thought I had read somewhere that i could cut it into sections and boil and then what ever rose to the top was my oil and to just skim it off the top of the water and put into a jar. I can buy coconuts fairly cheap so i am hoping some one knows the answer to this question.

marabou1

Hi Cheveux:

How are you?

To be honest with you I don't do measure anything when I make my mixture. I know, I know, I really should.

to myself!

If I had to guess, I would say I use: 2 tablespoons of solid 100% coconut oil, 4 table spoons of jojoba oil, 2 table spoons of 100% castor oil, and 4 table spoons of rosemary oil.

When I recently ran out of jojoba oil and I used olive oil in the mixture instead, and although I love olive oil, it didn't seem to be as good as the mixture that had the jojoba in it.

I don't know the names of each brand at the moment, except the rosemary oil I use is the one from Weleda. When I get home tonight, I'll write down all the others. The castor oil is from Haiti. My dad sends it to me.

Good luck if you decide to try it.