Where to start with protein treatments if I have never had one?

sparkle25

Hello ladies!

I have been a member on this forum for maybe for years, but haven't really been on here for the last three years.

My hair is natural right now and I haven't had a perm for at least ten years and don't plan on getting one any time soon. I usually wear wigs because I haven't quite got my hair to the point I want it to be. Mostly because I haven't been able to get my sides to grow in to a point where I feel comfortable wearing my natural hair. :nono:

I've spent the last year outside of the USA, and now my hair has suffered as I was not able to get the products I need to take care of my hair correctly. It's long, but very broken off on the edges and at the back of my head :(

I think I need a protein treatment. Whenever I comb my hair or even touch it, it breaks off. It stretches a little and then breaks off. I am constantly losing hair no matter what I do. It has always been this way my whole life. This forum is a wealth of information, but it can be a bit overwhelming with the products and recommendations :lol:

I've got moisturizers down I think . I like Darcy botanicals leave in conditioner and I usually seal that with some type of oil. I have used the Oyins hair dew, but i found that to be a bit greasy, and my hair really doesnt do well with a lot of oil in it. I also like to use the jessicurl weekly deep treatment as far as a deep conditioner goes. Ill dabble in other deep conditioners, but so far jessicurl is the best for me. Anyone have any suggestions on a deep conditioner that works as well or better than the jessicurl I'm all ears. I have been out of the hair care game for a while.

I think part of my problem is not enough moisturizer, but I also think I really need to do a semi strong protein treatment because even when my hair is moisturized it still breaks. I have never in my life not had breakage and I'm fed up with it.

For the longest time I thought natural hair didnt need protein treatments, but now I am absolute convinced this is what I need. I once tried to use the Aubrey Organics protein conditioner as a deep conditioner/protein treatment, but that didnt do anything at all for my hair. I need something stronger I think.

I like to keep things natural with my hair products. I see a lot of women using apogee protein treatments, but that also has a lot of bad things in it too, so I would rather not go there.

Anyone have any suggestions of a strong or semi strong protein treatment for natural 4a/4b type hair? One without mineral oil and other bad things? Also can anyone suggest some steps I can take and some products I can use to keep the protein moisture balance in my hair? I was thinking a strong protein treatment every six weeks or so, and maybe cowashing with a protein conditioner every other day? I wasn't going to use any leave in protein conditioners because I wanted to avoid a protein overload. To be honest, I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to protein. I know I need to listen to my hair, but you have to start somewhere and I have no idea where to start. Help me??? :)

Last edited:

LdyKamz

I would say start with the medium protein treatment - Komaza Protein Strengthener may be something to try.

Also I would do maybe a light protein/balancing conditioner weekly Aubrey Organics may be good for that. SImply because it will keep your hair balanced. What didn't you like about it the first time?

faithVA

Hello ladies!

I have been a member on this forum for maybe for years, but haven't really been on here for the last three years.

My hair is natural right now and I haven't had a perm for at least ten years and don't plan on getting one any time soon. I usually wear wigs because I haven't quite got my hair to the point I want it to be. Mostly because I haven't been able to get my sides to grow in to a point where I feel comfortable wearing my natural hair. :nono:

I've spent the last year outside of the USA, and now my hair has suffered as I was not able to get the products I need to take care of my hair correctly. It's long, but very broken off on the edges and at the back of my head :(

I think I need a protein treatment. Whenever I comb my hair or even touch it, it breaks off. It stretches a little and then breaks off. I am constantly losing hair no matter what I do. It has always been this way my whole life. This forum is a wealth of information, but it can be a bit overwhelming with the products and recommendations :lol:

I've got moisturizers down I think . I like Darcy botanicals leave in conditioner and I usually seal that with some type of oil. I have used the Oyins hair dew, but i found that to be a bit greasy, and my hair really doesnt do well with a lot of oil in it. I also like to use the jessicurl weekly deep treatment as far as a deep conditioner goes. Ill dabble in other deep conditioners, but so far jessicurl is the best for me. Anyone have any suggestions on a deep conditioner that works as well or better than the jessicurl I'm all ears. I have been out of the hair care game for a while.

I think part of my problem is not enough moisturizer, but I also think I really need to do a semi strong protein treatment because even when my hair is moisturized it still breaks. I have never in my life not had breakage and I'm fed up with it.

For the longest time I thought natural hair didnt need protein treatments, but now I am absolute convinced this is what I need. I once tried to use the Aubrey Organics protein conditioner as a deep conditioner/protein treatment, but that didnt do anything at all for my hair. I need something stronger I think.

I like to keep things natural with my hair products. I see a lot of women using apogee protein treatments, but that also has a lot of bad things in it too, so I would rather not go there.

Anyone have any suggestions of a strong or semi strong protein treatment for natural 4a/4b type hair? One without mineral oil and other bad things? Also can anyone suggest some steps I can take and some products I can use to keep the protein moisture balance in my hair? I was thinking a strong protein treatment every six weeks or so, and maybe cowashing with a protein conditioner every other day? I wasn't going to use any leave in protein conditioners because I wanted to avoid a protein overload. To be honest, I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to protein. I know I need to listen to my hair, but you have to start somewhere and I have no idea where to start. Help me??? :)

Giovanni Nutrafix is a good reconstructor that you can get on the ground. I would suggest starting with a reconstructor every 2 weeks until your hair is balanced and then extend it to once a month. After that listen to your hair. I wouldn't add any other protein until you have that schedule down. If you are natural and not using heat I can't imagine cowashing with a protein conditioner :nono: And you are right not to do protein leave-ins. Keep your protein to your conditioners.

I would avoid "strong" protein treatments unless you are chemically treating your hair. As the previous poster stated many ladies like Komaza and ShescentIt.

It is better to start conservatively and increase it than to over do it and try to recover from it.

sparkle25

Thank you Kammygirl... I will look into that Komaza Protein strengthener. The first time I used the Aubrey orgwnics GPG, I used it as a deep conditioner/protein treatment. From what I have read, a lot of ladies say that the protein treatments make their hair feel stronger etc right away and the Aubrey Organics didn't do anything at all for my hair. Just made it feel a bit drier. I know nothing is going to be instant, but I just felt it didn't do anything at all.

sparkle25

Faith, thank you ! I am so excited for the advice the lhcf ladies have to offer! I'm so happy to be back on this forum! I've learned so much from everyone in the past, so I know this is the right place to turn for the protein advice. Is the Komaza a reconstructed I can use every 2 weeks? Also when you say leave the protein to conditioners, what do you mean? You mean leave them to like a deep conditioning treatment and not a co wash? In open for all suggestions as I seriously have no idea what I am doing.

faithVA

Faith, thank you ! I am so excited for the advice the lhcf ladies have to offer! I'm so happy to be back on this forum! I've learned so much from everyone in the past, so I know this is the right place to turn for the protein advice. Is the Komaza a reconstructed I can use every 2 weeks? Also when you say leave the protein to conditioners, what do you mean? You mean leave them to like a deep conditioning treatment and not a co wash? In open for all suggestions as I seriously have no idea what I am doing.

I meant don't try to get your protein through leave-ins or any products that don't rinse out. I don't think you should cowash with a protein conditioner unless you are very comfortable with protein and knowing what your hair likes. I use my reconstructor rinse and them immediately follow with my DC. You will want to do the same thing.

I have not used the Komaza. I have it but it is still sitting on my shelf. KammyGirl may be able to help you with that.

And you are only going to do it every 2 weeks for a time. As soon as your hair feels strong, that's enough and its time to extend the time between treatments. If your hair even hints that its enough protein, then it's enough protein.

MzOptimistic

I would start with a light to medium protein treatment being that you don't know how well your hair will tolerate it. I myself, use Motions CPR Repair for light protein. Honestly, I've never used heavy protein treatments but I keep my ends baggied and seal with Nexxus Split End Mender so my hair is in pretty good shape.

VictoriousBrownFlower

I agree with tsmith. You should start light and work your way up. You don't even know what your hair would feel like if it had enough protein. The fact that you said the Aubrey Organics GPB made your hair feel drier says it gave your hair the shot of protein it needed. Protein conditioners make your hair feel harder and sometimes if you get too much protein they make you feel really dry...like straw. I would keep it to the light or medium end of the spectrum. You don't want to get too much protein.

Aubrey organics gpb is a really good light/med protein dc. It gives you a balance of moisture and protein. It gives you the protein your hair needs without making it too hard. And its all natural. I would suggest using it as a pre treatment followed by a shampoo and moisturizing dc for a for a while if you feel you need more protein.

Ms Lala

Joico Moisture Recovery- the name doesn't sound like it but this strengthens and balances my hair
Aphogee 2 min- I NEVER use the 2 step treatment only the 2 minute protein conditioner
ORS Or AFrica's Best Hair Mayonnaise- add an egg sometimes and a little oil to it and it leaves my hair feeling great ( do not sit under a hooded dryer if you add egg)
ORS Replenishing Conditioner- this is one of my favs I always keep it on hand

IHTH

sparkle25

Thank you everyone for your replies. I went ahead and ordered the Komaza protein strengthener..this is a medium/light protein treatment correct? If any you use it, how do you apply this? On the website it says to start with use once a week. Will this be too much at first? Do I use it before I shampoo or after, and then deep condition?

I am still open for more advice and suggestions.

tsmith, what is baggying again? It's been so long since I've been on here that I have forgotten.....

MzSwift

Another vote for Motions CPR (in the bottle, not the jar)

Also I like (not all together):
-Plain, full fat yogurt
-One egg in any condish
-Henna (even though it isn't a protein, it strengthens my strands) and Brahmi powders
-Megatek

GL! :)

MzOptimistic

sparkle25 baggying is when you place your hair in a ponytail then seal your ends with oil, conditioner or any moisturizing product. I actually moisturize the whole length of my ponytail :yep: then you place a processing cap over the ponytail and wrap the cap around n around then you can cover the cap with a bun, snood, or whatever you want to use to conceal the baggy. Many ladies find interesting ways to baggy their ends while in an actual bun. My ends is sealed in my siggy pic. Of course, I didnt cover the whole length of my ponytail. I only sealed the last 2 to 3 inches of my hair.

sparkle25

Tonight I used the Komaza hair strengthener. I detangeled with V05 and an oil blend, then I washed my hair, put my hair in about 8 sections and then saturated my hair in the protein treatment. My hair really absorbs products. I remember when I was a child my hair would eat perms! Anyways I ended up using most of the bottled. My hair was just covered enough, the product wasn't dripping from my hair. I let it sit on until it got a little hard. It never got rock hard like I hear some protein treatments do, but just a little stiff. When I rinsed it out I could immediately feel the difference.

My hair usually breaks off whenever I touch it or pull on it/manipulate it. I can lose handfuls of hair when detangel it. After the protein treatment only one little spiral broke off and that was probably left over from my detangeling. I put a DC in and none of my hair broke off while rubbing it though. I am so happy! I can't believe I'm 4 years into my supposed HHJ and I have never done a protein treatment like that. I really think that is what my hair needed. Well actually it's obvious that is what it needed to combat the breakage. Ill have to see how my hair behaves in the next few days. I was planning on doing it again in 2 weeks. However I really don't want to spend whatever I paid for that ( can't remember right now) every two weeks though for one protein treatment. Will my hair need less product as it gets healthier? I promise I am not heavy handed with the products. I can't stand greasy hair etc, so I use as little product as possible. I just really needed to use 3/4 of that bottle to get it on all of my hair. My hair is a little bit lower than shoulder length when it's stretched, but I have no perm and my hair shrinks A LOT. Then the edges are broken off and a little bit at the nape of my neck. So I reall don't understand why I need so much DC and had to use so much of the protein treatment.

Lastly, the only complaint I have about this is that I got a little on my scalp because I was trying to get it as close to my roots as possible, and my scalp burns and is irritated in the spots it got on my scalp. Is this normal?

Thank you sooooo much ladies! I'm excited to see what my hair when I add protein :)