Which One? - FHI Hot Sauce or CHI 44 Iron Guard

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
To the ladies that flat iron their hair and use heat/thermal protection...

I am just learning to use heat with my new flat iron. I purchased the FHI Hot Sauce and some CHI.

Any reviews of these products or other products and tips you can share?
I have thin, relaxed shoulder length hair.

Thanks in advance for your responses!

HoneyDew

The FHI Hot Sauce is better.

I recently checked the ingredients of the CHI 44 Iron Guard and I was not impressed with that alcohol content.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
The FHI Hot Sauce is better.

I recently checked the ingredients of the CHI 44 Iron Guard and I was not impressed with that alcohol content.

Thanks for your input HoneyDew! They both have alcohol, but I don't know how much. I am leaning toward the Hot Sauce, but it seems to be hard to locate in stores where I live (maybe checking the wrong stores). I had to order it from Folica and they only have the 2 oz. size.

Does anyone know if Ulta or Sally carry the Hot Sauce?

HoneyDew

The FHI hot sauce does not have the denatured alcohol SD Alcohol 40-B, like the CHI. That is like rubbing alcohol.

The FHI has Cetyl alcohol and Cetearyl Alcohol. Those are actually emulsifiers.

Unless they have changed the formula, my bottle of FHI Hot Sauce does not have the drying alcohol that the CHI Iron guard has.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
The FHI hot sauce does not have the denatured alcohol SD Alcohol 40-B, like the CHI. That is like rubbing alcohol.

The FHI has Cetyl alcohol and Cetearyl Alcohol. Those are actually emulsifiers.

Unless they have changed the formula, my bottle of FHI Hot Sauce does not have the drying alcohol that the CHI Iron guard has.

OK! :yep:

HoneyDew

I have a couple of packets of the FHI Hot Sauce if you like. I can send them to you. I will never get to them. I got the free with my FHI iron.

adf23

Even aside from the alcohol- Chi Iron guard sucks, IMO. I was really disappointed in it. Everyone raves about the whole line, so I was surprised that I didnt like it. It may provide protection, but it doesnt do anything special as far as shine, etc.

Everything Zen

I love Hot Sauce and my FHI Runway. Has anyone found any improvement using over time with the jojoba crystals in it? I never really thought of it as a heat protectant- more of a thermal conditioner because I still use Silk Elements heat protectant spray along with the Hot Sauce.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
I love Hot Sauce and my FHI Runway. Has anyone found any improvement using over time with the jojoba crystals in it? I never really thought of it as a heat protectant- more of a thermal conditioner because I still use Silk Elements heat protectant spray along with the Hot Sauce.

I would love to hear about the jojoba crystals too.
Thanks for helping me understand what the Hot Sauce is.

So I should try Silk Elements as a protectorant along with the Hot Sauce?

It's getting confusing now! :spinning:

Now it seems like I have so many products to apply! leavin, Hot Sauce or serum, protectorant, moisture and then seal after flat ironing or before?

In what order do you add the products Hil? Anyone else?

HoneyDew

I just realized I never gave my review of the product.

Well, I have a bottle of it that I have been working on for months. It is so expensive that I don't like using it alone.

I put a little on after my leave in and it makes my hair nice and soft.

Here is a nicely priced place to get it with low shipping: http://www.prettylikeme.com/FHI-Hot-Sauce-5-oz-p/rb-410030.htm

I did find that my Qhemet Sidr tree or Olive cream don't work well with the Hot Sauce. Too much product, I think.

Since I prefer using them as my leave-ins, I don't use the FHI Hot sauce as often.

My best experience with the hot sauce was my 1st time using it. I applied it on my hair as a leave in after I applied fermodyl 619. My hair was so soft and bouncy after flatironing it.

But, again, for that price I would not use this product alone that often.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
Thank you HoneyDew!
I am glad you mentioned theHot Sauce with the Sidr Tree, 'cause Sidr Tree is my LOVE too! I hope the new formulation will be just as good or better. So what amount of the Hot Sauce, say about a nickle or quarter-size amount?

I just realized I never gave my review of the product.

Well, I have a bottle of it that I have been working on for months. It is so expensive that I don't like using it alone.

I put a little on after my leave in and it makes my hair nice and soft.

Here is a nicely priced place to get it with low shipping: http://www.prettylikeme.com/FHI-Hot-Sauce-5-oz-p/rb-410030.htm

I did find that my Qhemet Sidr tree or Olive cream don't work well with the Hot Sauce. Too much product, I think.

Since I prefer using them as my leave-ins, I don't use the FHI Hot sauce as often.

My best experience with the hot sauce was my 1st time using it. I applied it on my hair as a leave in after I applied fermodyl 619. My hair was so soft and bouncy after flatironing it.

But, again, for that price I would not use this product alone that often.

HoneyDew

Thank you HoneyDew!
I am glad you mentioned theHot Sauce with the Sidr Tree, 'cause Sidr Tree is my LOVE too! I hope the new formulation will be just as good or better. So what amount of the Hot Sauce, say about a nickle or quarter-size amount?

Yeah, that much for different sections if used alone. I had to use more than that over all.

But if I use it on top of a creamy leave in, a quarter sized amount twice is good enough for me.

I have used a quarter sized amount over Sidr tree balm and it was fine. But with that little amount I don't feel that I am really protecting my hair from heat. I feel like it just gives me a little bit more softness and moisture.

I am so sad about the Sidr Tree. What am I going to do!? :nono:

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
Yeah, that much for different sections if used alone. I had to use more than that over all.
If the Hot Sauce works for me, I know I am going to buy the 5 oz size.

But if I use it on top of a creamy leave in, a quarter sized amount twice is good enough for me.

I have used a quarter sized amount over Sidr tree balm and it was fine. But with that little amount I don't feel that I am really protecting my hair from heat. I feel like it just gives me a little bit more softness and moisture.
Makes sense, I will keep this in mind.

I know! Well, let's pray that the replacement product will be better. I think Qhemet knows that we won't settle for anything less! :yep:

HoneyDew

If the Hot Sauce works for me, I know I am going to buy the 5 oz size.

Makes sense, I will keep this in mind.

I know! Well, let's pray that the replacement product will be better. I think Qhemet knows that we won't settle for anything less! :yep:

Dropped those packets in the mail today! I look forward to your review girlie!

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
:orders:UPDATE!
:pepper: FHI HOT SAUCE ROCKS! :pepper:

:Copy of 2cool:
Made me hair soft and swangy!:rocker:Even on my thin/fine hair.
MY RECIPE:
  • I gave myself a henna/indigo gloss (made with Amla Oil and Nexxus Humectress)
  • DC with Humectress
  • Ojon Revitalizing Mist as a leave-in
  • Airdry to damp
  • Distribute HOT SAUCE throughout hair
  • Blowdry
  • Section hair and flat iron
  • NICE! :yep:
:wow:

:thankyou: HoneyDew for sending me your samples!
:kiss: