• Soy protein

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Milk protein

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other, please give the name

Votes: 5 16.1%

• Total voters

IMFOCSD

I was just wondering which type of protein do you ladies feel is the most beneficial when it comes to actually "reconstructing" hair? Which protein treatment do you feel lives up to their claims?

The protein treatment/reconstructor I have used so far are: keracare super reconstructor- it was not worth the damn near $30 I paid for :nono: and Aphogee- I say this has to be the best I have tried so far.

O yeah, another one I tried was from ion (can't remember the exact name) but it came in a little pack, I did not care for this one too much because it left my hair feeling super coated.

shadylane21

Just did my first hard aphogee and my hair loved it, my hair also loves the 2 minute aphogee. I also have the ORS hair mayo but my hair did not really like that one nor the redken blue one. JOICO and Aveda DR are also good one's. PJ alert!:sekret:

fluffylocks

Animal Protein---Aphogee treatment for damaged hair, eggs
Keratin Protien--Aphogee keratin & green tea

My hair really does laugh at collagen protien like in Duotex and ORS pak.

ETA----i didnt see this was a poll with the types of protiens already listed, I like Animal protien the best, it really stops breakage right in its tracks to me. I love Kertain protein also, but to me, its more for upkeep, not to really mend hair up.

Last edited:

LunadeMiel

My hair loves the ORS pak and ORS hair mayo (I'm not sure what type of protein that is). However, when I did a super deep con with Hair mayo and an egg my hair wAS like :shocked:. It was a BIG NO NO :nono:

Last edited:

KhandiB

I know this may seem weird to say

But I did a hard protien last weekend and I saw a little breakage afterwards.

Maybe I didnt use enough

Dunno

I love the 2 minute though and Maybe ill try emergencee next

the_UnPrettiest_pretty

Beauty IS skin deep.
I've always used the Aphogee 2 min. And I also tried Nexxus Emergencee (which left my hair as a dry as a piece of wool). Is there another Aphogee protein treatment? I thought the 2 min reconstructor was the hardcore aphogee everyone was always talking about?

t_marie_71483

I absolutely LOVE:love: the Aphogee 2 min.! that is the first protein treatment Ive EVER used that left my hair soft afterwards.

I've always used the Aphogee 2 min. And I also tried Nexxus Emergencee (which left my hair as a dry as a piece of wool). Is there another Aphogee protein treatment? I thought the 2 min reconstructor was the hardcore aphogee everyone was always talking about?

Hey there!

Just to answer your question, there is another Aphogee product. The 2-minute reconstructor isn't the hardcore one. You're talking about the Aphogee Treatment for Damaged Hair - that's the one that makes your hair hard, smells kinda funky in the process, and you have to follow up with a really good moisturizing conditioner. I recommend only using it once every 6 weeks as the instructions recommend or only for severly damaged hair. That stuff doesn't play, but in my experience, when used correctly, it does what it promises - stops the breakage in its tracks.

As for my opinion, I think that hydolized human hair keratin is supposed to be the best protein for human hair because, well, it's from humans. :spinning: LOL No, but really, I read somewhere that the word "hydrolyzed" means that the protein has been broken down as small as possible so that it can be best absorbed by the hair. The same thing with the term "amino acids" - they are extremely small units that absorb the best into the hair cuticles to really provide a deep conditioning, reconstructing effect.

So, human keratin (and keratin amino acids) is the best for reconstructing, next in line is animal protein (since it's close to human protein). And then plant proteins (e.g. wheat protein, egg protein) are going to be the gentlest, sometimes even "moisturizing" proteins for some with less of a reconstructing effect because plant protein isn't consturcted like human/animal protein. By nature, humans just can't absorb plant protein that well. That's what I learned some years ago and, from my own experiences with products, I've found it to be true.

As far as product recommendations for good reconstructors, I recommend:

1) Dudly DRC-28 (correction...not 23) is one of the best reconstructors I've ever used. I believe it has human hair protein.

2) I also recommend the Aphogee Treatment (has animal protein) since the Dudley DRC is hard to come by and expensive. The Aphogee is a great, cheaper alternative than the DRC.

3) Next, for something lighter but still effective, Nexxus KerpHix has hydrolyzed collagen - which I believe is another term for/form of human hair protein (need to research that again...it's been awhile).

4) Finally, and this is the latest one that I just got around to trying after years of recommendations - ORS Hair Mayo . It's awesome! It has choleterol (egg protein) and probably some other proteins. I've found it to be gentle, but so effective in strengthening. I love it and can't believe I waited so long to try it. As a tip, for the Keracare Humecto lovers, mix some of your Humecto with the ORS - it's a heavenly mix!!!! My hair loves it!

The lighter proteins can be used more often than the other ones. Currently, I use the DRC once per relaxer cycle (approx. every 6-8 weeks) and I use the ORS Mayo in between time for some extra strength reinforcement, when needed. I have used the Aphogee Treatment and KerapHix as alternates in the past. I haven't tried many other protein products, but I know there's lots of other good ones out there.

Whoa! Sorry....didn't realize I was going to type all that. Hope it helps, though. :look:

Last edited:
Also, miss_cherokee, how did you use the Emergencee? I've never used it, but from what I heard, it's a hard core one like the Aphogee Treatment and Dudley DRC. You HAVE to follow those up with a very moisturizing deep conditioner afterwards. Otherwise, you're hair is giong to be extremely dry and can even be britle (and break more).

If you did that, then maybe it's just too strong for your hair. Not everyone needs hardcore proteins. You may just want to stick with the lighter proteins - the Aphogee 2-minute, I would say, falls into that category. But, even be careful with those.

BTW, your hair is very pretty!

LadyJay114

Also, miss_cherokee, how did you use the Emergencee? I've never used it, but from what I heard, it's a hard core one like the Aphogee Treatment and Dudley DRC. You HAVE to follow those up with a very moisturizing deep conditioner afterwards. Otherwise, you're hair is giong to be extremely dry and can even be britle (and break more).

If you did that, then maybe it's just too strong for your hair. Not everyone needs hardcore proteins. You may just want to stick with the lighter proteins - the Aphogee 2-minute, I would say, falls into that category. But, even be careful with those.

I concur! Emergencee in my hair was a disaster. It caused a ton of shedding. I don't need heavy protein treatments because I eat a protein rich diet.

What I learned is that sometimes you may think you need a protein treatment when instead you need more moisture. But when I do need protein, I need a lighter treatment. Aveda Damage Remedy Intensive Treatment has worked WONDERS for my hair. I switch between UBH and Keracare as deep conditioners. And I realized that I had to switch moisturizers - the Karen's Body Beautiful wasn't working in my hair; I use UBH moisturizer daily.

silvergirl

thats strange , i always use nexxus emergencee and its always left my hair feeling soft and manageble.

but your def right, i think alot ppl use protein when they really dont have to. if your hair is snapping off, dry and brittle then a DC treatment is what you need, proteins should be reserved for hair thats limp and fragile or hair that needs to be revived.

MizzBrown

Aphogee Two Step Treatment. My hair didnt harden up even after trying to blow dry it. It was still wet. And how long should i even keep it on my hair? The directions dont say. It just says "when hair hardens, rinse out"

I just put a shower cap on and walked around for about 10 minutes before i couldnt tolerate the stink smell and washed it out. Was that good enough?

LynnieB

Aphogee Two Step Treatment. My hair didnt harden up even after trying to blow dry it. It was still wet. And how long should i even keep it on my hair? The directions dont say. It just says "when hair hardens, rinse out"

I just put a shower cap on and walked around for about 10 minutes before i couldnt tolerate the stink smell and washed it out. Was that good enough?

i'd take it back if you have any left because there was something defective with that bottle.

that stuff gets hard as a rock as soon as heat hits it!

lollyoo

i did not vote as i think it depends on what you are trying to achieve
e.g collagen- elasticity
animal protein- strengthens particularly if experiencing excessive breakage
keratin- strengthens good if experiencing mild/medium protein, also used a pre-neutralising treatment.
soy/silk protein- have simmilar properties it detangles and strengthens.
wheat protein- mild stregthening and softens hair.

so just decide the effect you are looking for and pick one

gabulldawg

I have a question about protein. My hair is fairly damaged from being overprocessed for years. I'm pretty sure (almost positive) my hair gets plenty of moisture. I moisturize my hair every day, sometimes twice a day. I use moisturizing conditioner when I cowash. I use moisturizing shampoo and another moisturizing conditioner when I wash my hair weekly. I only use protein (ORS hair mayo) as a prepoo once a week before i wash. Is ORS hair mayo a light protein? I really think my hair may be telling me that it's time that I used a hardcord protein treatment. It's been breaking like crazy! That's why I had decided to get my hair cornrowed.

I remember my mom using the aphogee hair hardening stuff on my hair when I was younger. Hated the smell! Do you guys think that I should try that? Or should i maybe do the 2 minute one? And when I do the hard core protein treatment, does that mean that I would need to alter how and when I will use the ORS hair mayo in the future? This stuff is confusing me... :ohwell::drunk:

IMFOCSD

Hi,
I have used aphogee before and it does take a while to harden...I say about 20-30 minutes depending on the voltage of your dryer.

IMFOCSD

Hey there!

Just to answer your question, there is another Aphogee product. The 2-minute reconstructor isn't the hardcore one. You're talking about the Aphogee Treatment for Damaged Hair - that's the one that makes your hair hard, smells kinda funky in the process, and you have to follow up with a really good moisturizing conditioner. I recommend only using it once every 6 weeks as the instructions recommend or only for severly damaged hair. That stuff doesn't play, but in my experience, when used correctly, it does what it promises - stops the breakage in its tracks.

As for my opinion, I think that hydolized human hair keratin is supposed to be the best protein for human hair because, well, it's from humans. :spinning: LOL No, but really, I read somewhere that the word "hydrolyzed" means that the protein has been broken down as small as possible so that it can be best absorbed by the hair. The same thing with the term "amino acids" - they are extremely small units that absorb the best into the hair cuticles to really provide a deep conditioning, reconstructing effect.

So, human keratin (and keratin amino acids) is the best for reconstructing, next in line is animal protein (since it's close to human protein). And then plant proteins (e.g. wheat protein, egg protein) are going to be the gentlest, sometimes even "moisturizing" proteins for some with less of a reconstructing effect because plant protein isn't consturcted like human/animal protein. By nature, humans just can't absorb plant protein that well. That's what I learned some years ago and, from my own experiences with products, I've found it to be true.

1) Dudly DRC-23 (I think that's the number, I'll verify later) as one of the best reconstructors I've ever used. I believe it has human hair protein.

2) I also recommend the Aphogee Treatment (has animal protein) since the Dudley DRC is hard to come by and expensive. The Aphogee is a great, cheaper alternative than the DRC.

3) Next, for something lighter but still effective, Nexxus KerpHix has hydrolyzed collagen - which I believe is another term for/form of human hair protein (need to research that again...it's been awhile).

4) Finally, and this is the latest one that I just got around to trying after years of recommendations - ORS Hair Mayo . It's awesome! It has choleterol (egg protein) and probably some other proteins. I've found it to be gentle, but so effective in strengthening. I love it and can't believe I waited so long to try it. As a tip, for the Keracare Humecto lovers, mix some of your Humecto with the ORS - it's a heavenly mix!!!! My hair loves it!

The lighter proteins can be used more often than the other ones. Currently, I use the DRC once per relaxer cycle (approx. every 6-8 weeks) and I use the ORS Mayo in between time for some extra strength reinforcement, when needed. I have used the Aphogee Treatment and KerapHix as alternates in the past. I haven't tried many other protein products, but I know there's lots of other good ones out there.

Whoa! Sorry....didn't realize I was going to type all that. Hope it helps, though. :look:

Very informative.:yep:

lollyoo

I have a question about protein. My hair is fairly damaged from being overprocessed for years. I'm pretty sure (almost positive) my hair gets plenty of moisture. I moisturize my hair every day, sometimes twice a day. I use moisturizing conditioner when I cowash. I use moisturizing shampoo and another moisturizing conditioner when I wash my hair weekly. I only use protein (ORS hair mayo) as a prepoo once a week before i wash. Is ORS hair mayo a light protein? I really think my hair may be telling me that it's time that I used a hardcord protein treatment. It's been breaking like crazy! That's why I had decided to get my hair cornrowed.

I remember my mom using the aphogee hair hardening stuff on my hair when I was younger. Hated the smell! Do you guys think that I should try that? Or should i maybe do the 2 minute one? And when I do the hard core protein treatment, does that mean that I would need to alter how and when I will use the ORS hair mayo in the future? This stuff is confusing me... :ohwell::drunk:

hi,
i remember replying to your post a while back, that you may be using too much protein as ORS mayo is not light it has eggs and keratin. will suggest going on biweekly deep moisturising for 2 weeks and see how your hair does, while moisturising is good i think that the best way to get moisture is deep conditioning.

Personally wont use ORS more than once in 2 weeks, infact is like once a month i.e. any time am experiencing breakage.

gabulldawg

hi,
i remember replying to your post a while back, that you may be using too much protein as ORS mayo is not light it has eggs and keratin. will suggest going on biweekly deep moisturising for 2 weeks and see how your hair does, while moisturising is good i think that the best way to get moisture is deep conditioning.

Personally wont use ORS more than once in 2 weeks, infact is like once a month i.e. any time am experiencing breakage.

You think so? I could have sworn that people on the board use it weekly. In fact, I think that's where I got the idea. I guess I could try that, though. Maybe you're right. Thanks again for your advice. Anyone else have any advice?

the_UnPrettiest_pretty

Beauty IS skin deep.
Hey there!

1) Dudly DRC-23 (I think that's the number, I'll verify later) as one of the best reconstructors I've ever used. I believe it has human hair protein.

Thanks carameltreat!! You were really helpful. Unfortunately, my hair doesn't like ORS Hair Mayo. I was shedding like crazy after I started using it. I'll check out that Aphogee Treatment next time I'm in Sallys. Now I know what it's for. Thanks for the explanation!!

the_UnPrettiest_pretty

Beauty IS skin deep.

BTW, your hair is very pretty!

Thank you!!! Yeah, after using the Emergencee, I did exactly what it said to do. First, I clarified. After using the Emergencee, I followed up with a moisturizing poo to wash it out. Then I followed up with ORS Replenishing pak since it always leaves my hair so soft. And before I applied my leave-in, I applied Fermodyl 619 for moisture. Do you think I should have used a different DC?

Last edited:

Okay, do you mind if I ask which products you use? Specifically, which moisturizer, which shampoo, and which conditioners? Not all "moisturizing" products are created equal. I just bought a new "moisturizer" to try out (Organics Shea Butter & Tea Tree Oil Moisturizer, by Africa's Best). I used it all last week and was wondering why at the end of the week, my hair felt so rough. I looked at the bottle, and that stuff has cholesterol in it (egg protein)! I was applying protein every day! So, you have to be careful. Because I realized that's what I did last week, when I washed and DC'ed this week, I used only moisturizing stuff - shampoo (Cream of Nature) and moisturizing deep conditioner (Keracare Humecto) to balance it.

So, if you're sure that your moisturizing products don't have a lot of protein in them (sometimes, the gentler ones are okay - wheat protein, silk protein, soy protein), then the next thing I'd look at would be the weekly ORS Hair Mayo use like the other person suggested. Try cutting that out for a few weeks and see if your breakage improves. At this point, I wouldn't reach for the Aphogee Treatment just yet.

Is your hair soft and breaking or is hard/rough feeling and breaking? I think Sistaslick or somebody had a thread somewhere about it. But, basically, if it's soft and breaking, you need protein. If it's hard/rough and breaking, you need (pure, unadulterated) moisture.

Last edited:
You think so? I could have sworn that people on the board use it weekly. In fact, I think that's where I got the idea. I guess I could try that, though. Maybe you're right. Thanks again for your advice. Anyone else have any advice?

One thing to remember - everybody's hair isn't the same and can react to different proteins differently. So whereas some people can use ORS Mayo weekly, others can't. I use mine at most once every 2 weeks because I don't think my hair could take it every week. Just a thought I had when reading your comment...

thats strange , i always use nexxus emergencee and its always left my hair feeling soft and manageble.

but your def right, i think alot ppl use protein when they really dont have to. if your hair is snapping off, dry and brittle then a DC treatment is what you need, proteins should be reserved for hair thats limp and fragile or hair that needs to be revived.

Very good point, silvergirl. I agree 100%. Protein can be tricky and if you're not careful, you can cause more damage than you're trying to prevent.

Hmmm...maybe I should've reserved my comment on the Emergencee. I usually try not to comment on stuff I've never used. I was going off of things I've heard. Sorry if that confused anyone.

Thank you!!! Yeah, after using the Emergencee, I did exactly what it said to do. First, I clarified. After using the Emergencee, I followed up with a moisturizing poo to wash it out. Then I followed up with ORS Replenishing pak since it always leaves my hair so soft. And before I applied my leave-in, I applied Fermodyl 619 for moisture. Do you think I should have used a different DC?

Hmmm...not too sure. Maybe I'll let someone who has used Emergencee answer this one because I have no idea what the directions are. But, a couple of things that caught my eye - clarifying before may not have been the best idea. Protein is already going to have a tendancy to dry and harden the hair, and clarifying is known to be drying. So, that combo could be part of your results. Next, the ORS Replenishing pack - I don't know anything about. But, if it says it strengthens in any way, it may not have been a good choice after Emergencee. And I don't know anything about Fermodoyl.

Silvergirl, what do you use when you use Emergencee?

gabulldawg

Okay, do you mind if I ask which products you use? Specifically, which moisturizer, which shampoo, and which conditioners? Not all "moisturizing" products are created equal. I just bought a new "moisturizer" to try out (Organics Shea Butter Moisturizer, by Africa's Best - I think that's what it is). I used it all last week and was wondering why at the end of the week, my hair felt so rough. I looked at the bottle, and that stuff has cholesterol in it (egg protein)! I was applying protein every day! So, you have to be careful. Because I realized that's what I did last week, when I washed and DC'ed this week, I used only moisturizing stuff - shampoo (Cream of Nature) and moisturizing deep conditioner (Keracare Humecto) to balance it.

So, if you're sure that your moisturizing products don't have a lot of protein in them (sometimes, the gentler ones are okay - wheat protein, silk protein, soy protein), then the next thing I'd look at would be the weekly ORS Hair Mayo use like the other person suggested. Try cutting that out for a few weeks and see if your breakage improves. At this point, I wouldn't reach for the Aphogee Treatment just yet.

Is your hair soft and breaking or is hard/rough feeling and breaking? I think Sistaslick or somebody had a thread somewhere about it. But, basically, if it's soft and breaking, you need protein. If it's hard/rough and breaking, you need (pure, unadulterated) moisture.

I use Nexxus therappe, nexxus humectress, design essentials super moisturizing stimulations conditioner. I use BB oil moisturizer with aloe and castor oil.

My hair feels and looks moisturized when it breaks, which confuses me.

I think I will try to cut back on the hair mayo and see if I see any improvements, though.

the_UnPrettiest_pretty

Beauty IS skin deep.
Hmmm...not too sure. Maybe I'll let someone who has used Emergencee answer this one because I have no idea what the directions are. But, a couple of things that caught my eye - clarifying before may not have been the best idea. Protein is already going to have a tendancy to dry and harden the hair, and clarifying is known to be drying. So, that combo could be part of your results. Next, the ORS Replenishing pack - I don't know anything about. But, if it says it strengthens in any way, it may not have been a good choice after Emergencee. And I don't know anything about Fermodoyl.

Silvergirl, what do you use when you use Emergencee?
Hmmmmmm..........that does make sense. I was going to clarify tomorrow then do a protein treatment, but I think I'll just do a regular wash instead, and skip the clarifying to see if that makes a difference. Thanks hun!!

devin

this is a great thread! so information regarding proteins. I just went to check my moisturizers, shampoo and conditioner to see what type of proteins they have, b/c my hair can not handle a lot of protein without getting dry like a desert. most of my products are moisturizing, which i need. i use keraphix for a light protein. Thanks again!:grin: