Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Soy protein

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Milk protein

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other, please give the name

Votes: 5 16.1%

• Total voters
I use Nexxus therappe, nexxus humectress, design essentials super moisturizing stimulations conditioner. I use BB oil moisturizer with aloe and castor oil.

My hair feels and looks moisturized when it breaks, which confuses me.

I think I will try to cut back on the hair mayo and see if I see any improvements, though.

Okay, I've used all of those and I know that they're moisturzing. I didn't care for Therape when I used it, though. It made my hair more dry than moisturized but I know lots of folx who it works great for. So, if it's doing it for you, leave it be. BB oil moisturizer is good stuff! The Stimulations stopped working for me as far as lasting results after awhile. So, I don't use it anymore. But, it does moisturize so you should be okay.

Okay, so if your hair feels and looks moisturized and is still breaking (make sure you're minimizing direct heat), maybe you should try a stonger protein. Maybe the ORS Mayo is too light at this point.

Just to be sure....when you say that it's breaking, do you mean excessively? Like little, short hairs all over the place (e.g. back of shirts)with minimal manipulation? That's what I consider excessive (I've been there before). If that's the case, and what you've described is the regimen you've been doing for a few weeks, then maybe see if you can pick up bottle of the Aphogee Treatment (they may have samples, not sure). I would apply it after shampooing (using a moisturizing shampoo, not a clarifying one), use a blow dryer to dry it (took me about 10 minutes or so, but I'm sure it depends on the thickness of your hair) until it's hard (don't manipulate it much in its hard state), then rinse well (in the shower to keep the hair straight) and then deep condition with the Humectress with a plastic cap and heat (preferably a dome dryer) for 15-20 minutes . Then, style as usual. Be sure to handle your hair carefully throughout the whole process.

Now, if it's excessive and you've been using direct heat (curling iron, flat iron, blow dryer) a lot the last few weeks, I suggest to cut out/down the heat first and see if that makes a difference. That was a major road block for me when I first started my healthy hair journey.

If it's not excessive (like just broken hairs that are maybe 1 or 2 inches long only when combing or manipulating, not a lot, but not a litlte), I'd consder that moderate breakage and maybe something like the Nexxus KerpHix, Profectiv Growth Masque, or the Aphogee 2-Minute reconstructor could work better for you. They're a little stonger than the ORS Mayo but not as hard core as the Aphogee Treatment.

Finally (dang, I am so long winded - I apologize, ya'll! :sad:), remember that your hair is never going to be 100% breakage free. For me, when brekage is minimized, I don't see those short, broken hairs all over my back and clothes, definitely nothing when I haven't touched my hair much throughout the day, and when combing/manipulating, maybe 3-4 broken hairs per session when styling my hair in the morning or at night.

I hope that helps. Let me know how things go for you, gabulldawg. Glad I can help, ladies. :)

Last edited:
How is that protein derived? What's the source?

I honestly don't know. I'm an engineer not a scientist. LOL :grin: Maybe one of the more chemically savvy ladies would know. I just know that keratin is the protien that human hair (well, all mammals, hence the distinction between human keratin and animal keratin) and is made up of amino acids. When hydrolyzed, the amnio acids can be seperated and used within the hair products. Whose hair they get it from? I don't know. I even wonder if it's genetically created or copied in the lab or something. Sorry...don't know. :ohwell:

gabulldawg

Okay, I've used all of those and I know that they're moisturzing. I didn't care for Therape when I used it, though. It made my hair more dry than moisturized but I know lots of folx who it works great for. So, if it's doing it for you, leave it be. BB oil moisturizer is good stuff! The Stimulations stopped working for me as far as lasting results after awhile. So, I don't use it anymore. But, it does moisturize so you should be okay.

Okay, so if your hair feels and looks moisturized and is still breaking (make sure you're minimizing direct heat), maybe you should try a stonger protein. Maybe the ORS Mayo is too light at this point.

Just to be sure....when you say that it's breaking, do you mean excessively? Like little, short hairs all over the place (e.g. back of shirts)with minimal manipulation? That's what I consider excessive (I've been there before). If that's the case, and what you've described is the regimen you've been doing for a few weeks, then maybe see if you can pick up bottle of the Aphogee Treatment (they may have samples, not sure). I would apply it after shampooing (using a moisturizing shampoo, not a clarifying one), use a blow dryer to dry it (took me about 10 minutes or so, but I'm sure it depends on the thickness of your hair) until it's hard (don't manipulate it much in its hard state), then rinse well (in the shower to keep the hair straight) and then deep condition with the Humectress with a plastic cap and heat (preferably a dome dryer) for 15-20 minutes . Then, style as usual. Be sure to handle your hair carefully throughout the whole process.

Now, if it's excessive and you've been using direct heat (curling iron, flat iron, blow dryer) a lot the last few weeks, I suggest to cut out/down the heat first and see if that makes a difference. That was a major road block for me when I first started my healthy hair journey.

If it's not excessive (like just broken hairs that are maybe 1 or 2 inches long only when combing or manipulating, not a lot, but not a litlte), I'd consder that moderate breakage and maybe something like the Nexxus KerpHix, Profectiv Growth Masque, or the Aphogee 2-Minute reconstructor could work better for you. They're a little stonger than the ORS Mayo but not as hard core as the Aphogee Treatment.

Finally (dang, I am so long winded - I apologize, ya'll! :sad:), remember that your hair is never going to be 100% breakage free. For me, when brekage is minimized, I don't see those short, broken hairs all over my back and clothes, definitely nothing when I haven't touched my hair much throughout the day, and when combing/manipulating, maybe 3-4 broken hairs per session when styling my hair in the morning or at night.

I hope that helps. Let me know how things go for you, gabulldawg. Glad I can help, ladies. :)

You are definitely a big help!! I am going to respond to the stuff I bolded.

- Yes, my hair feels and looks moisturized at all times. My SO jokes that my hair always looks wet even when it's dry. I don't usually have issues with my hair being too dry except for my ng.

- I think that the breakage is pretty excessive!! It's not just little hairs, but also long hairs that range from half the length of a hair strand to the whole strand! AND it can be just when I touch it! It also happens whenever I comb my hair no matter if it's in the shower or when my hair is dry.

- I have not been using direct heat at home. The last time I used it was about a month ago and I used nexxus heat protexx when I did it. I have been really serious about not using heat on my hair since I started my journey and I think it's helping.

Does it still sound like I need to try to aphogee hard core to you? I'm thinking that I may give it a try. I plan on washing my hair sometime this weekend, so I guess I need to make that choice. BTW, the last time I used the ORS hair mayo was last Monday. Would this weekend be too soon for me to use a hardcore treatment like aphogee? Thanks again for your help. You really sound like you know what you are talkin about!

mzhotniz86

for reconstructing (which is moisture and protein) i use design essentials 6n1. for regular protein i use an egg sometimes mixed with a oil like jojoba or kemi, with no heat. works very well and is cheap :)

Aphogee Two Step Treatment. My hair didnt harden up even after trying to blow dry it. It was still wet. And how long should i even keep it on my hair? The directions dont say. It just says "when hair hardens, rinse out"

I just put a shower cap on and walked around for about 10 minutes before i couldnt tolerate the stink smell and washed it out. Was that good enough?

Two Step Treatment? This had me wondering. I've never heard of it so I looked it up on Aphogee's website.

http://www.aphogee.com/products.cfm

It's been awhile since I've used Aphogee and it looks like they've changed their products some. I'm used to the old package where the Treatment for Damaged Hair was in the square bottle with the little purple flag (shown in the borrom right corner of the bottom picture). It looks like it's been changed, so now, I guess it's the Two Step Treatment, huh? What are the 2 steps (hard to see what the bottles say) and what are the directions?

Is there anyone that has used the old one AND the new one? Is the formula the same? Does it work the same?

Last edited:
Does it still sound like I need to try to aphogee hard core to you? I'm thinking that I may give it a try. I plan on washing my hair sometime this weekend, so I guess I need to make that choice. BTW, the last time I used the ORS hair mayo was last Monday. Would this weekend be too soon for me to use a hardcore treatment like aphogee?

Yeah, I'd give it a try and I think this weekend would be okay. Just try it once (I don't know if there's the individual tral packs with the new Two-Step package or not) and see if you see a difference. Continue to moisturize and everything as usual afterwards, too. On your next 1-2 washes afterwards, don't use the ORS Mayo - only DC with one of your moisturizing deep conditioners. You don't want to load up with too much protein.

BTW, your hair progress pics look great. You look like you're definitely on the right track. I tell you, cutting out that excessive heat does wonders!

Yeah, girl, I've been learning about and working with my hair since about October, 2002. There's been a lot of ups and downs and trials and failures, but I'm slowly getting it. I still mess up sometimes (had a self relaxer accident that broke off my hair earlier this year - Never again will I try it on my own! :wallbash:) and it takes patience. Granted, I haven't reached the phenominal lengths that others have....yet:rolleyes:, BUT, I've learned how to correct breakage, retain length, and give it what it needs (including time - one of the best remedies) to grow back. That's a MAJOR milestone for me. Now, I can be rest assured that even if my hair gets messed up and starts breaking, I know what to do to fix it to get it back on track to being healthy again. LHCF and the other hair boards have just been sooooo helpful in that. So, if I think I can help, I definitely will try because someone did it for me. :drunk:

gabulldawg

Yeah, I'd give it a try and I think this weekend would be okay. Just try it once (I don't know if there's the individual tral packs with the new Two-Step package or not) and see if you see a difference. Continue to moisturize and everything as usual afterwards, too. On your next 1-2 washes afterwards, don't use the ORS Mayo - only DC with one of your moisturizing deep conditioners. You don't want to load up with too much protein.

BTW, your hair progress pics look great. You look like you're definitely on the right track. I tell you, cutting out that excessive heat does wonders!

Yeah, girl, I've been learning about and working with my hair since about October, 2002. There's been a lot of ups and downs and trials and failures, but I'm slowly getting it. I still mess up sometimes (had a self relaxer accident that broke off my hair earlier this year - Never again will I try it on my own! :wallbash:) and it takes patience. Granted, I haven't reached the phenominal lengths that others have....yet:rolleyes:, BUT, I've learned how to correct breakage, retain length, and give it what it needs (including time - one of the best remedies) to grow back. That's a MAJOR milestone for me. Now, I can be rest assured that even if my hair gets messed up and starts breaking, I know what to do to fix it to get it back on track to being healthy again. LHCF and the other hair boards have just been sooooo helpful in that. So, if I think I can help, I definitely will try because someone did it for me. :drunk:

Thanks SOOOO much. I will definitely do that! I will try to remember to PM you or post about the results. :spinning:

ajargon02

Aphogee Two Step Treatment. My hair didnt harden up even after trying to blow dry it. It was still wet. And how long should i even keep it on my hair? The directions dont say. It just says "when hair hardens, rinse out"

I just put a shower cap on and walked around for about 10 minutes before i couldnt tolerate the stink smell and washed it out. Was that good enough?

With aphogee 2 step you can't cover your hair. You blow dry till hard WITHOUT a shower cap. Then it will get hard.