White Lady Shoots Black Man After Minor Traffic Accident

futureapl

So she’s been out living her life all these years :nono: Sounds about whyte…

I'm not surprised it has taken this long to go trial. My aunt was killed in a hit and run in 2018. Another one of my aunts was severely injured along with others. Here we are in 2023 and this guy (black) and this dude is still roaming free. The trial dates keep changing. In the meantime this guy has requested to travel to the Caribbean to visit a family member and even requested changes to house arrest so that he could work.

Jmartjrmd

So she’s been out living her life all these years :nono: Sounds about whyte…
Yep. There were so many delays in this case I thought they'd never try it..
The very last time they moved forward..i think it was last year. her attorney had a stroke and was in the hospital. He didn't show up for trial understandable but he also didn't bother to notify the court.

Jmartjrmd

I'm not surprised it has taken this long to go trial. My aunt was killed in a hit and run in 2018. Another one of my aunts was severely injured along with others. Here we are in 2023 and this guy (black) and this dude is still roaming free. The trial dates keep changing. In the meantime this guy has requested to travel to the Caribbean to visit a family member and even requested changes to house arrest so that he could work.
I'm so sorry. My experience with the criminal justice system is it heavily favors the criminal and their '" rights". All the bs about closure in a " fair" outcome is so frustrating
I went through that when my daughter was killed by an impaired teenage while olaying in our yard with my niece. I'll never believe our system of justice works for victims.

Jmartjrmd

Jury should get this case today. Ms. Payne might be in a lot of pain by end of the day. She took the stand yesterday and her story just wasn't believable based on what went on in trial and the 911 calls and witness starements.

Jury has a fair amount of black men on it. I know at least 10 black men were picked. One Hispanic and I think 2 white people. I'll have to go back and see if I can find it. Either way it's a heavily black male deliberating jury.

Jmartjrmd

Let’s see what that sentence do though…
I believe it's either life with parole or life without parole as the only options. I know they offered her a life with parole plea which she turned down.

Jury took less than 2 hours to come back.
They asked to rewatch the video a bystander took of the shooting, which didn't match what she said on the stand or her police interrogation. The 911 call where the disoatcher told her not to follow where she claims she only heard her say be safe..same call she was told again not to follow and she said " I'm not going to not follow him" but again tried to twist that into something else and the police bodycam when they'd detained her. They came back likex15 mon after that.
Her attorney was terrible too. But I knew when they said the makeup of the jury she was in trouble but really she was a mess on the stand insulting peoples intelligence and common sense. The evidence spoke for itself but with the wrong jury sometimes we get stupid verdicts.
Sentencing is on Friday at 10am.

Jmartjrmd

Jury should get this case today. Ms. Payne might be in a lot of pain by end of the day. She took the stand yesterday and her story just wasn't believable based on what went on in trial and the 911 calls and witness starements.

Jury has a fair amount of black men on it. I know at least 10 black men were picked. One Hispanic and I think 2 white people. I'll have to go back and see if I can find it. Either way it's a heavily black male deliberating jury.
It was 7 black men
4 black women and
1 white man that was the final deliberating jury

Shula

I'm so sorry. My experience with the criminal justice system is it heavily favors the criminal and their '" rights". All the bs about closure in a " fair" outcome is so frustrating
I went through that when my daughter was killed by an impaired teenage while olaying in our yard with my niece. I'll never believe our system of justice works for victims.
:bighug:

futureapl

I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter

Jmartjrmd

Well I knew she'd get the parole option even though her family asked for life with no parole.
I'm not a lawyer so don't understand some of her sentence but a few counts were dusmissed by operation of law.

She got 8 years for the false imprisonment and 5 years for the possession of weapon during a felony charge that runs consecutive to the life sentence.

I believe she will have to serve at least 30 years before she is eligible for parole which would make her 56 I believe before she is eligible. I'm not clear if it's 30 + 8 or 30+13 or just 30 before she'd be up for parole.

Of course they plan to appeal claiming there was no malice proven on that charge and claiming the court was biased against her with some of the rulings against her in court
Having watched the whole trial I thought it was pretty straight forward. Jury took less than 2 hours to come back.

Her side brought race into it when they spoke on her behalf talking about her high school boyfriend was black and she has a rainbow of friends etc.

The state never once tried to say this was about her killing him because he was black. Now the social media yes lol

But they made it a point to point that out because the defense implied her conviction was because she's white and killed a black man.

Jmartjrmd

Well I knew she'd get the parole option even though her family asked for life with no parole.
I'm not a lawyer so don't understand some of her sentence but a few counts were dusmissed by operation of law.

She got 8 years for the false imprisonment and 5 years for the possession of weapon during a felony charge that runs consecutive to the life sentence.

I believe she will have to serve at least 30 years before she is eligible for parole which would make her 56 I believe before she is eligible. I'm not clear if it's 30 + 8 or 30+13 or just 30 before she'd be up for parole.

Of course they plan to appeal claiming there was no malice proven on that charge and claiming the court was biased against her with some of the rulings against her in court
Having watched the whole trial I thought it was pretty straight forward. Jury took less than 2 hours to come back.

Her side brought race into it when they spoke on her behalf talking about her high school boyfriend was black and she has a rainbow of friends etc.

The state never once tried to say this was about her killing him because he was black. Now the social media yes lol

But they made it a point to point that out because the defense implied her conviction was because she's white and killed a black man.
So they clarified on court TV it'll be the 43 years before she's eligible for parole so she'll be 69 at that time.