White tee shirt test - see thru hair...sad.

PeggyFair

I understand where you are coming from. It's not so much trying to dictate what people should do with their hair, it's moreso of a "woman to woman" critique type of thing when it comes to wanting to see other women wear their hair to its fullest potential. ESPECIALLY Black women. Me personally, I'm a stickler for clean, clear smooth skin. So when I see other women who could use a good exfoliation I gotta wonder why they don't do it. I'm sure this is the way you felt when you saw this woman.

Christina Dior

the white shirt thing is a good test but my hair dosent grow blunt it grows into a v type shape so I will not be cutting it for the sake of bluntness....

CHEEKQUEEN

She also has the option of trimming slowly if she wants to hang on to the length and those ends and getting to thicker ends, same premise as transitioning, he hair is still growing. plus like another poster said with the length comes more styling options. It may be frustrating to see, but she may not even be able to see what her hair looks like to others, she may see it as just fine-if thats all she knows, it may not even be a case of she is holding on to something horrible looking to others just for the claim of length, she may be just happy with how it is without knowing that it can even be any better

how do we know any woman's story just by looking at their hair, could be illness, meds, who knows

I say speak up while in the situation if your that bold, give her helpful advice, but whats the point in posting it here......she still doesnt get help

next time write down the site url for her and slip it to her, or your number and have her call

thats what I would do

I am with Irresistible all the way! You could have helped that sista out. But, I am not afraid to do the white tee shirt test. I just cut from BSL to SL with not one problem. Hair is just an accessory and it will grow back. That lady could have easily been on a medication or dealing with a serious health issue that made her hair look that way. I have been through it before and have shaved my head. Not because I cared about what others thought, but because it was best for, ME. My hair is growing like crazy now and healthier than ever. Whenever I run into someone who looks to have damaged hair. I always lend a helping hand and even give the websites that I frequent that has helped me. Even though some do not want to take the info, it makes me feel like a better person for offering the help. We need more people to do the same in this world......:yep:

prospurr4

She also has the option of trimming slowly if she wants to hang on to the length and those ends and getting to thicker ends, same premise as transitioning, he hair is still growing. plus like another poster said with the length comes more styling options. It may be frustrating to see, but she may not even be able to see what her hair looks like to others, she may see it as just fine-if thats all she knows, it may not even be a case of she is holding on to something horrible looking to others just for the claim of length, she may be just happy with how it is without knowing that it can even be any better

how do we know any woman's story just by looking at their hair, could be illness, meds, who knows

I say speak up while in the situation if your that bold, give her helpful advice, but whats the point in posting it here......she still doesnt get help

next time write down the site url for her and slip it to her, or your number and have her call

thats what I would do

This is such an excellent post!...very thought-provoking.

MD_Lady

Ok, while I was out shopping yesterday, the cashier that checked us out had the bra strap length hair (although to MEEEEE, it is really only shoulder length because her hair was just so thin, and gawd awfully see through). :nono: And she had the NERVE to wear a white shirt on top of that! I mean, if your hair looks THAT BAD, at least wear a dark colored shirt so that it can camoflouge the "see through" hair somewhat if you don't want to cut it! :ohwell: Anyhoo, after seeing just how terrible this lady's "bra strap" length hair looked (and I mean bra strap in the most scarcastic way)...I am determined to do a "white tee shirt" check test.. This means, as I am growing my new hair cut out, I will occasionally throw on a white tee and check the back of my hair to make sure that it's growing out healthy and FULL!!! Would some of you be willing to do a "white tee" check for your ends and would be willing to cut your hair if its really bad? :look: I felt so bad for this girl, but at the same time, I figured that she's just trying to "hold on" to dead hair for the sake of length :rolleyes:, but is looking like a fool in the end. So, who's not scared to do this little test? :look:

I've made that same observation. Don't feel bad for her, though, because her main goal may have been length (over thickness). However, people who try to balance the two should be aware of this because they might not get a chance to check out their ends too often. :drunk:

carcajada

I understand where you are coming from. It's not so much trying to dictate what people should do with their hair, it's moreso of a "woman to woman" critique type of thing when it comes to wanting to see other women wear their hair to its fullest potential. ESPECIALLY Black women. Me personally, I'm a stickler for clean, clear smooth skin. So when I see other women who could use a good exfoliation I gotta wonder why they don't do it. I'm sure this is the way you felt when you saw this woman.

*Enters thread again* :lachen: That's the thing though. You don't know what they are trying or what they are up to with their hair. And if you don't talk to the person, offer advice/exchange advice, then I don't see how anyone can be so harsh towards a stranger/regular person about something that doesn't involve them.

@ your comparison: Hit dog here. :grin: As a person who has suffered from bad skin all my life, I bet you would have said that about me a few years ago when in actuality I probably received more peels/exfoliating/and spa treatments than someone with perfect skin. :ohwell: You just never know when assuming.

Last edited:

Je Ne Sais Quoi

*Enters thread again* :lachen: That's the thing though. You don't know what they are trying or what they are up to with their hair. And if you don't talk to the person, offer advice/exchange advice, then I don't see how anyone can be so harsh towards a stranger/regular person about something that doesn't involve them.

@ your comparison: Hit dog here. :grin: As a person who has suffered from bad skin all my life, I bet you would have said that about me a few years ago when in actuality I probably received more peels/exfoliating/and spa treatments than someone with perfect skin. :ohwell: You just never know when assuming.
:catfight: Classy get out of this thread :lachen::lachen::lachen:

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member

^ITA! You never know what a person's history until you ask questions...she may not know it looks so thin from the back, might be sick and taking medications, etc. To judge someone without knowing their story seems rude.

belletresse

Wow. Somehow it doesn't make me sad at all to look at other women's hair-no matter what shape it's in.:ohwell:

Women are far harder on other women's hair than men are. Men could care less about how thick and blunt our ends are. If it's long, real and clean, they like it.

Last edited:

prospurr4

Sometimes, I wear a white t-shirt to diagnose the health and thickness of MY ends. It's an excellent way to see exactly what's going on.

SweetSpirit86

I can't even laugh because that was me at one point. I had a good two year period where I didn't give a flying flip about my hair. The sad part is I watch some of you work so hard to get length, and I abused my hair and still retained a good 80% of it. :/ Makes me feel ashamed when I look back on it. That straight hair with the funky ends on the bright shirt worn down, or the ponytail with the funky ends. That was me.