White woman doing 4c hair seminars

Stormy

I don't have a problem with her learning how to style all textures of hair. I myself planned to do this when I considered going to cosmetology school a while back. BUT... I find it awfully peculiar that she and so many YT women are sooo into and supposedly knowledgeable about AA hair ever since the natural hair movement. I mean when the majority of us were relaxed I don't remember all this come-save-a-sista's-hair back then.

So, I'll pass and I wouldn't care if I lived in a city with no natural haircare stylists. I'd still pass and rely on LHCF and Youtube distance learning.

SMH... errybody tryna cash in!

CodeRed

She's an opportunist and her style makes a mockery of our culture.

If you're talking about her visual style, I'm glad you understand what's going on... I see some Afrique Hindu Gothic-ness going on there that I do not understand. I am genuinely confused by that picture in the OP. That looks like a mockery of many different things :perplexed

fuchsiastar

There are very few passes to go around in this arena, but she gets one in my opinion. I read her story on the site. Rasa is her daughter's name. I find her different, interesting, but not offensive. I also agree with other observations that she is a capitalist and is looking to profit from the popularity of natural hair practices. Like most businesses, she is at the right cross-section of expertise and timing. IDK about a paradigm shift though, that's saying a whole lot. I don't want a paradigm shift of Aveda-looking-WW doing dreads and selling shea butter. That would be annoying and offensive. Her dreads are clean and more together than most. If the only change she makes is that more white people have less ratty and dirty looking dreads, I'm here for it. I wish her well.

Nazaneen

I had a White stylist when I was a teenager, but only because she worked for the Black salon owner who did my hair 95% of the time. I was relaxed then though.

It's interesting that a White woman is showing care and attention to 4c hair since so many salons, including natural salons, don't prefer to deal with 4c hair.

I used to regularly patronize a white salon (it was very nearby). My hair didn't exactly thrive but I had a decent length.
One day I allowed my mom's weave stylist to straighten my hair. Big mistake. She used a stove iron and I got home to find broken blonde hairs on my head. They were blonde because they were burned. I was PISSED. Luckily no major damage was done.

In the end I don't want anyone of any race in my head. I'll do it myself. I don't have the feeling that black stylists "got" my hair better than white ones. I had a Jamaican stylist once tell me something like that she knows how to do white people hair... apparently that's what she thought I had :look:. I remember she proceeded to show me some hair at her nape area to show that her hair was mixed or something :look:.

Last edited: