Who Else Is An Ayurvedic Lady or Person?

mscocoface

I noticed earlier this year that most of the products I have been using lean towards natural ingredients or Ayurvedic.

I am finding more and more uses as well as more powders, oils and other products.

I know quite a few of us use Henna, Indigo and Cassia but, I thought it would be interesting to find out what others have discovered this year or in recent years about the beneficial uses of Ayurvedic products

I have the following powders and oils that I use for my hair, I make pastes or brew teas for rinsing and or use in other hair products.

Amla (oil and powder)
Bhringraj (oil and powder)
Neem (oil and powder) Note: I can't get pass the smell of the oil so I only use the powder.
Aritha
Hibiscus petal
Haritaki
Tulsi
Shikakai (powder and shampoo)
Vatika oil (cocunut hair oil)

So what Ayurvedic products are in your hair arsenal and how do you use them? Please share.

Here are the different results recorded by from nature with love for most of the prodcuts mentioned above. They also mention their suggested use of the products listed.

Bhringraj is an ancient remedy for hair loss, premature graying, skin allergies, and devitalized skin and hair. Use Bhringraj powder in combination with amla, shikakai, and neem powders for an herbal hair rinse, or make a coconut oil infusion with these herbs to use as a conditioning oil treatment. Bhringraj powder can also be added to Ayurvedic soaps, facials, body wraps, and washbags.

The amla fruit, also known as the Indian gooseberry, comes from a small tree that grows throughout India. The tree is worshipped as “Mother Nature” due to its nourishing fruit. The fruit is one of the highest natural sources of vitamin C, and it yields an oil that has been used for centuries in Ayurvedic medicine to treat the hair and scalp. It is said to penetrate the scalp and strengthen hair at its root, to stop and reverse abnormal hair loss and to promote stronger, healthier new growth. It is also an excellent conditioning herb.

To use amla powder, make a hot water infusion with the powder and strain it. The tea can be used to rinse the hair after shampooing. Amla is best used in combination with shikakai, aritha, neem, bhringraj and tulsi powders. When using the herbs in combination, steep all of the herbs in water and strain the tea. The tea should be kept refrigerated and used within 4 days or preserved with an anti-bacterial preservative.

Alternatively, you can make an oil infusion by warming sesame or olive oil in a double boiler with the herbs for 4 hours. After 2 hours has passed, replace the spent herbs. After 4 hours, strain the infusion and preserve it with rosemary oil extract or T-50 (A type of Vitamin E oil).

Shikakai powder comes from de-shelled shikakai nuts. Shikakai is referred to as "fruit for the hair." It has a naturally mild pH, and it gently cleans the hair without stripping it of natural oils. Use shikakai as a natural hair wash for sensitive scalps or to control dandruff. Shikakai is said to promote hair growth and strengthen hair roots.For best results, combine 1 tablespoon each of shikakai powder, amla powder, bhringraj and aritha powder. Add them to 1 cup boiling water. Allow the infusion to sit for 10 minutes. If you have dandruff or scalp problems, you can add 1 teaspoon of neem powder to this mixture. You can also add 1 teaspoon of liquid castille soap to the mixture if you have very oily hair. Once cooled, use this mixture to wash your hair. Rinse well with warm water. If desired, follow with a light spritzing of amla and brahmi oils to condition the hair.

Tulsi is a strong natural antiseptic and germicidal used in Ayurvedic medicine to treat various infections and illnesses. Use tulsi powder in facials or in a bath to fight acne, eczema, psoriasis, and other skin conditions. Tulsi powder is also useful for dandruff and general hair care.

Haritaki is said to have strong anti-bacterial properties. It is revitalizing, toning, nourishing and astringent when used in skin and hair care formulations. Add haritaki powder to facial scrubs, masks, body wraps, hair wraps and hair rinses. Add it to soaps with neem oil for an Ayurvedic germ fighting formula. You can also make a tea infusion by steeping haritaki powder in boiling water. The tea can be strained and used in place of water in skin care formulations.

Hibiscus petals, also known as jaswand, were used in Ayurvedic medicine to stimulate thicker hair growth and to prevent premature graying, hair loss and scalp disorders. The petals act as a natural, emollient hair conditioner. Hibiscus petal powder can be used in Ayurvedic hair washes, oil infusion treatments and vinegar rinses for the hair. Use hibiscus petal powder in combination with brahmi and amla powders.

Neem powder is highly anti-bacterial, and the leaves have been used for centuries to make anti-bacterial washes and poultices. Add neem powder to cosmetic clays to make a face pack or body wrap that is suitable for acne prone skin. Add neem powder to salt scrubs for skin problems such as eczema and psoriasis. Make a tea infusion with neem powder, and use the infusion in a bath to treat chicken pox or oozing skin eruptions. Use it in a gardener’s hand scrub with corn meal to provide anti-bacterial cleansing after working in the soil. Neem powder works well as a hair oil treatment for scalp conditions.

Aritha powder, also known as Soapnut, comes from the fruit of the Soapnut tree. The pulp of the fruit contains a high level of saponins that act as natural foaming agents. This powder can be used to wash delicate fabrics as well as to wash sensitive skin and hair. Add the powder to a facial mix of milk powder and clay to provide delicate cleansing of the skin. Add aritha powder to salt scrubs to add cleansing action.
As a hair and body wash, aritha powder is best used in a tea. Add 1 tablespoon of aritha powder to a cup of boiling water. Allow it to sit for 10 minutes. Cool and strain the tea for use as a hair wash or mild cleanser. Aritha can also be combined with amla, neem & shikakai powders for a more nutritive hair wash. Steep all of the herbs in water, and strain the tea. The tea should be kept refrigerated and used within 4 days or preserved with an anti-bacterial preservative.
Use with caution around the eyes.

kiesha8185

Wow...thanks for all this info! Maybe it was that Aritha stuff that burned the heck outta my eyes...:rolleyes:

I'm about to go henna my hair, so when I come back, I'll post Ayurvedic stuff I like :grin:

LoveLiLi

I henna my hair every 2-3 months because it strengthens my hair. I lose fewer strands and I like the shine and color. I've been adding indigo so my hair looks darker and glossier.

I use amla to keep the tangles away. I haven't had a problem with tangles at all since I started using this. I use it as a treatment since it stinks so bad.

I recently tried washing my hair with shikaki powder and I really liked it - I'll try mixing it with aritha next time.

I use vatika oil just about every day - it makes my hair softer and shinier.

ajargon02

I noticed earlier this year that most of the products I have been using lean towards natural ingredients or Ayurvedic.

I am finding more and more uses as well as more powders, oils and other products.

I know quite a few of us use Henna, Indigo and Cassia but, I thought it would be interesting to find out what others have discovered this year or in recent years about the beneficial uses of Ayurvedic products

I have the following powders and oils that I use for my hair, I make pastes or brew teas for rinsing and or use in other hair products.

Amla (oil and powder)
Bhringraj (oil and powder)
Neem (oil and powder) Note: I can't get pass the smell of the oil so I only use the powder.
Aritha
Hibiscus petal
Haritaki
Tulsi
Shikakai (powder and shampoo)
Vatika oil (cocunut hair oil)

So what Ayurvedic products are in your hair arsenal and how do you use them? Please share.

Here are the different results recorded by from nature with love for most of the prodcuts mentioned above. They also mention their suggested use of the products listed.

Bhringraj is an ancient remedy for hair loss, premature graying, skin allergies, and devitalized skin and hair. Use Bhringraj powder in combination with amla, shikakai, and neem powders for an herbal hair rinse, or make a coconut oil infusion with these herbs to use as a conditioning oil treatment. Bhringraj powder can also be added to Ayurvedic soaps, facials, body wraps, and washbags.

The amla fruit, also known as the Indian gooseberry, comes from a small tree that grows throughout India. The tree is worshipped as “Mother Nature” due to its nourishing fruit. The fruit is one of the highest natural sources of vitamin C, and it yields an oil that has been used for centuries in Ayurvedic medicine to treat the hair and scalp. It is said to penetrate the scalp and strengthen hair at its root, to stop and reverse abnormal hair loss and to promote stronger, healthier new growth. It is also an excellent conditioning herb.

To use amla powder, make a hot water infusion with the powder and strain it. The tea can be used to rinse the hair after shampooing. Amla is best used in combination with shikakai, aritha, neem, bhringraj and tulsi powders. When using the herbs in combination, steep all of the herbs in water and strain the tea. The tea should be kept refrigerated and used within 4 days or preserved with an anti-bacterial preservative.

Alternatively, you can make an oil infusion by warming sesame or olive oil in a double boiler with the herbs for 4 hours. After 2 hours has passed, replace the spent herbs. After 4 hours, strain the infusion and preserve it with rosemary oil extract or T-50 (A type of Vitamin E oil).

Shikakai powder comes from de-shelled shikakai nuts. Shikakai is referred to as "fruit for the hair." It has a naturally mild pH, and it gently cleans the hair without stripping it of natural oils. Use shikakai as a natural hair wash for sensitive scalps or to control dandruff. Shikakai is said to promote hair growth and strengthen hair roots.For best results, combine 1 tablespoon each of shikakai powder, amla powder, bhringraj and aritha powder. Add them to 1 cup boiling water. Allow the infusion to sit for 10 minutes. If you have dandruff or scalp problems, you can add 1 teaspoon of neem powder to this mixture. You can also add 1 teaspoon of liquid castille soap to the mixture if you have very oily hair. Once cooled, use this mixture to wash your hair. Rinse well with warm water. If desired, follow with a light spritzing of amla and brahmi oils to condition the hair.

Tulsi is a strong natural antiseptic and germicidal used in Ayurvedic medicine to treat various infections and illnesses. Use tulsi powder in facials or in a bath to fight acne, eczema, psoriasis, and other skin conditions. Tulsi powder is also useful for dandruff and general hair care.

Haritaki is said to have strong anti-bacterial properties. It is revitalizing, toning, nourishing and astringent when used in skin and hair care formulations. Add haritaki powder to facial scrubs, masks, body wraps, hair wraps and hair rinses. Add it to soaps with neem oil for an Ayurvedic germ fighting formula. You can also make a tea infusion by steeping haritaki powder in boiling water. The tea can be strained and used in place of water in skin care formulations.

Hibiscus petals, also known as jaswand, were used in Ayurvedic medicine to stimulate thicker hair growth and to prevent premature graying, hair loss and scalp disorders. The petals act as a natural, emollient hair conditioner. Hibiscus petal powder can be used in Ayurvedic hair washes, oil infusion treatments and vinegar rinses for the hair. Use hibiscus petal powder in combination with brahmi and amla powders.

Neem powder is highly anti-bacterial, and the leaves have been used for centuries to make anti-bacterial washes and poultices. Add neem powder to cosmetic clays to make a face pack or body wrap that is suitable for acne prone skin. Add neem powder to salt scrubs for skin problems such as eczema and psoriasis. Make a tea infusion with neem powder, and use the infusion in a bath to treat chicken pox or oozing skin eruptions. Use it in a gardener’s hand scrub with corn meal to provide anti-bacterial cleansing after working in the soil. Neem powder works well as a hair oil treatment for scalp conditions.

Aritha powder, also known as Soapnut, comes from the fruit of the Soapnut tree. The pulp of the fruit contains a high level of saponins that act as natural foaming agents. This powder can be used to wash delicate fabrics as well as to wash sensitive skin and hair. Add the powder to a facial mix of milk powder and clay to provide delicate cleansing of the skin. Add aritha powder to salt scrubs to add cleansing action.
As a hair and body wash, aritha powder is best used in a tea. Add 1 tablespoon of aritha powder to a cup of boiling water. Allow it to sit for 10 minutes. Cool and strain the tea for use as a hair wash or mild cleanser. Aritha can also be combined with amla, neem & shikakai powders for a more nutritive hair wash. Steep all of the herbs in water, and strain the tea. The tea should be kept refrigerated and used within 4 days or preserved with an anti-bacterial preservative.
Use with caution around the eyes.

I second that. I use most of the ones on your list.

Mija

Exotical OG
Mmmeeee for the last few weeks!
I use approx a tsp of shikakai, aritha, brahmi, & amla in a lemonade jug full of water as a rinse. Then I rub the shikakai bar between my hands and apply the foam allover my hair, massage in, then rinse.

Then I apply conditioners & maybe sit under the dryer for 5 mins, leave in an hour or so and rinse, spray some Joico leave-in on and use Vatika oil, Parachute coconut oil, & Niaharti sp? castor oil, and air dry.

This has been the best regimen for me. The only downfall is I have to rinse more often because the old funky coconut smell (like every 5 days instead of every 7.)
(Dbf doesn't like the smell of the Indian oils- he misses my Kemi oyl smell:grin:.)

eta: I no longer use brahmi powder in my tea rinse. I use Paul Mitchell Awaphui Mist as a hair refresher or re-wet my hair with water.

Last edited:

Evazhair

Thanks for posting that info! :grin: I consider myself an novice ayurvedic lady. I have amla and shikaikai powders, vatika oil, parachute coconut oil, and vatika shampoo.I have mixed tropical wheatgerm conditioner with amla and coconut oil. I have seen the other powders and will be incorporating more into my regimen. This past wash I washed with amla and shikaikai, and I liked it, but my hair felt like I had a protein treatment. At any rate I will definitely continue to make oils.

sareca

Lately I've been making an oil from Amla, Bhringraj, Shikakai and using it to cleanse my hair. :yep:

adw425

I've used everything but the haritake and aritha and shikakai. I have been researching shikakai like crazy lately and will add to my arsenal soon.

brandy

I just recently started using this oil (KESINI oil). I massaged my scalp with it and left it over-night and rinsed in the morning. It made my 10 week+ old 4a/4b hair new growth very soft and moisturised!!:grin: It is day 4 since I used this oil and my new growth is still super soft and moisturised:yep:. At this rate I have no problems stretching further without using braids! These Indian oils are wonderful!! I have HAND IN HAIR DISEASE NOW due to the softness of my NG:grin:!
Kesini oil contains Neeli, Brahmi, Amla, Nardostachys Jatamansi, Hibiscus, Coconut oil, and Castor oil. It promotes hair growth and eliminates dandruff.

Last edited:

DivaRox

ME-well, me as soon as my products arrive. I will start a mostly ayurvedic regimen in December using most of the products from the OP. I've not stumbled upon the Kesini oil in my research though.

brandy

I was lucky to find this oil at a health shop in North London. When I tried to search for it on the net, I couldn't find anything.

berry87

I bought Amla Oil a few weeks ago but haven't really used it since I have twist in and I dont like putting oil on my scalp. I just rub it on my twist.
I used henna once two years ago before the thread on adding oils and conditoners to the mix came about. It truned out dry but I loved the dark color:lachen: The color has since faded but I might give it a try again:yep:

Questions
For the ladies who are using Indian Ayurvedic products such as
Shikakai powder, do you use this buy itself to cleanse the hair?

Do you alternate with natural shampoos such as Elucence , Aveda, Aubrey Organics etc?

Last edited:

mscocoface

I bought Amla Oil a few weeks ago but haven't really used it since I have twist in and I dont like putting oil on my scalp. I just rub it on my twist.
I used henna once two years ago before the thread on adding oils and conditoners to the mix came about. It truned out dry but I loved the dark color:lachen: The color has since faded but I might give it a try again:yep:

Questions
For the ladies who are using Indian Ayurvedic products such as
Shikakai powder, do you use this buy itself to cleanse the hair?

Do you alternate with natural shampoos such as Elucence , Aveda, Aubrey Organics etc?

I have not tried the shikakai by itself I normally mix it with one of the others, but you can use it alone.

As for shampoo I normally cowash but when I do shampoo I mix the shampoo with water and evoo or one of the Ayurvedic oils like bhringraj, amla or something else.

The only time I use a shampoo straight is when I clarify. But I am even trying to get away from that and just use baking soda and water once a month or something like that.

schipperchow1

:weird:Me!! I'm an Ayurvedic Lady! Not exclusively, but I have 2 different oils that use for pre-poos, an herbal hair wash that I make a tea of & just started with the henna & cassia this month.

carameldiva

I am.

I use henna, shikakai, aritha, neem, tulsi, amla and multani mitti powders.

I use henna, shikakai, aritha, neem, tulsi, amla and mutani mitti powders together when i henna.

I also make an herbal tea wash out of all of the herbs with the exception of the henna. I put a tablespoon or so of three of the herbs to include aritha or shikakai in my coffee pot strainer and then add 6 cups of water to my coffee pot. when the tea is ready pour it in an old tresseme shampoo bottle and put it in the fridge. the next morning, i co-wash and then use the tea as a leave in rinse.

I also use these herbs as a facial( clay) mask on the weekends. Unclogs my pores and gives me that healthy glow.

Nanyanika

I am, i fell in love with the results of indian herbs so much so, that i decided to make and sell products that contains Ayurvedic herbs and other natural ingredients.

mscocoface

Where are you all buying these products? FNWL is out of stock on a lot of these items.

This is where I bought most of my products as well as from the Indian store in my neighborhood. I am not positive but I think HennaSooq also sells amla. I can't remember.

I guess we need to find more places to purchase since fnwl is out. I noticed that of late also, so when they do have something in stock I get a lot of it.

I will research and hope others do also and share their findings.

Candy_C

My favourites are Shikkahai And Amla powders/oils

I dont see any reason why folk should be afraid, aslong as you listen for trails and errors.

like dont EVER COMB YOUR HAIR WHILST THESE POWDERS ARE SITTING IN YOUR WET HAIR

comb well beforehand (when hair is dry) then if ur about to blowdry after it will work out fine

If you airdry, only comb when saturated in condish (i personally dont comb at all after the first dry combing)

these powders should be rinsed thouroughly

i mean for like 20-25mins rinsed OUT with hottish water. thats where peoples problems lie with hair being stiff

Lioness

like dont EVER COMB YOUR HAIR WHILST THESE POWDERS ARE SITTING IN YOUR WET HAIR

This is true, especially with Amla powder.

I've been using Amla Powder/Oil for years now. The amla powder makes my hair really strong, and it's noticeable staright after rinsing :yep:

Mscoco thanks for posting the information. I intend to revamp my Regimen with other Indian oils and powders, as these are natural

Candy_C

This is true, especially with Amla powder.

I've been using Amla Powder/Oil for years now. The amla powder makes my hair really strong, and it's noticeable staright after rinsing :yep:

Mscoco thanks for posting the information. I intend to revamp my Regimen with other Indian oils and powders, as these are natural

I'm loving my new ayurvedic lifestyle. i'm tryin 2 ween away from keracare now, which will be hard! i may just keep them, they are good to me!

audacity.

Question for the ayurvedic experts...

Do you think if a tea made from shikakai, amla, bhringraj and aritha powders would benefit me if I mixed it in my conditioner for daily co-washing?

TIA!