Who Else Is An Ayurvedic Lady or Person?

tallnomad

hey halee J and everyone else, i forgot to post this little breakdown about the oils:

Which oils might be right for you?

Coconut -– cooling oil

Used for scalp and length of hair, the body, and for cooking. Herbs can be infused in it, flavoring/scenting the infusion by immersing oils in it and letting it sit in the sun without high heat as heat from cooking a long time will alter the properties of unrefined coconut oil slightly. Prevents protein loss from hair during washing. Applied both pre-wash and on the days between washing.

For dry or damaged ends: Wet/ mist the ends of the hair and liberally apply coconut oil, then braid. Let the oil soak in for at least a day.

Sesame –– Warming/ neutral oil

Commonly used for hair and cooking. The best oil to use when infusing other herbs by cooking. Can be applied between washing but, referred as a pre-wash oil as it has a stronger scent than coconut.

Mustard -– warming oil

It is used more in Northern India, for the scalp and for medicinal body massages. It brings circulation to the scalp due to its mild irritating properties, similar to cayenne pepper. It has anti-bacterial properties. Do not try to infuse herbs in this by heating as it produces noxious fumes. Applied pre-wash to scalp only. Has a strong scent.

Amla Oil -- cooling oil

Conditioning astringent. A cooling, pitta soothing oil. Used for hair loss, premature graying, strengthens the roots, reduces dandruff. Prevents split ends. A small amount is applied to hair and scalp after washing or massaged in pre-wash. Promotes sound sleep when massaged into the scalp.

Brahmi Gatu Kola (Bacopa monnieri) Herb infused in oil. A cooling, pitta soothing oil. Used to combat dandruff and dry scalp.

Bringraj (Eclipta alba) Oil of the herbs called the king of herbs for hair infused into oil such as sesame. Aids in hair growth. Used for prevention of premature balding, and helps with sun damaged and color treated hair. Massage into the scalp pre-wash.

Candy_C

Another ayurvedic lady in the house!

Right now, I'm in love with amla, brahmi, bhringraj, vatika, and kesavardhini oils. I rotate and mix these.

For powders I use amla, brahmi, shikakai, and methi. The are all good stuff. Depending on how I feel I'll mix these up as a paste or do a rinse with these. When used as a paste, it can be pretty had to get out so heavy rinsing is definitely needed.

I have noticed since adding my ayurvedic routine my hair has gotten so much stronger and thicker and on top of that it barely sheds.

lol i copied your headline if u hadnt noticed, but i kindly called myself no. 2 :yep:

Candy_C

this may sound cliche...

but since turning into an ayurvedic hair care fanatic, i swear my hair texture resembles/feels like one of an indian lady:perplexed

Last edited:

Candy_C

I henna every other month, I use amla and shikaikai....

My next step is to make an oil with the amla and shikaikai, I will use castor, avocado, and grapeseed as a base. I might add coconut.

If I make a tea from amla and shikaikai, will this soothe my scalp? It is itching soo bad!!!!! I have access to indian stores so if you all have any other suggestions for powders that will stop the itch I appreciate it.

MV

its helped my mild psoriaris! so yeh i should help take away some of the more heavy oils and subs with olive or jojoba, add some rosemary too :grin:

zora

Hmm, I wouldn't say I'm an ayurvedic lady per se, but I am a fanatic of coconut oil and I use Henna.:perplexed

I have shikaki powder, but use it that often.

mochamadness

Going the Distance
lol i copied your headline if u hadnt noticed, but i kindly called myself no. 2 :yep:

lol...it's all good girl! Ayurveda rocks, don't it?!:grin: I will never stop singing its praises now that I've discovered the wonders that it does for my hair!

BTW your hair looks lovely Candy!

Hey ladies, I have a couple of questions for you. Since I am deployed right now, I don't really have to option to boil anything.

Does anyone have any other methods of using the powders?

Would the oils (amla and shakaikai *sp*) be as effective if used without the powders?

Is there a good online site that someone is using which also ships to an APO address????

TIA

Candy_C

lol...it's all good girl! Ayurveda rocks, don't it?!:grin: I will never stop singing its praises now that I've discovered the wonders that it does for my hair!

BTW your hair looks lovely Candy!

Thanks Mocha your a gem, cant wait for my hair to reach your length in the signature, its my next goal!

visualize, visualize, visualize!

i love ayurveda, just wish i stumbled on it years ago!

pistachio

I just got some Brahmi and Amla powders off of ebay today. I can't wait to use them!!! I'll use the brahmi on my scalp, and the amla on my strands.

so so chic

Can everyone who purchase their products on line Henna included, please post where you get your items.

Here are mine.

http://www.hennasooq.com

http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com

http://www.mehndiskinart.com/hair_henna_dye.htm.

This should help the ladies who are looking for product that may not be able to find it in their neighborhoods.

Here is a website to find local Indian grocers in your neighborhood. I think there is one for our London Ladies also, if someone could post that it would be great. Thanks.

http://www.thokalath.com/grocery/index.php

Here is a site that shows what she recommends for quality powders and I must agree with her. These are some of the best places online for powders.

http://www.hennaforhair.com/suppliers/

Thanks...this was very helpful. I'd been wondering where an Indian store was near me, and now I've found several.

I have a question. I can see where these oils and powders are used for pree-poos, shampooing, oil rinses, cw's, and hair spritz's, but what about dc'ing. For ladies who use ONLY Ayurvedics, what do you dc with? TIA :)

Miss*Tress

this may sound cliche...

but since turning into an ayurvedic hair care fanatic, i swear my hair texture resembles/feels like one of an indian lady:perplexed
I know exactly what you mean, Candy. I feel the same way about my hair. :sekret:

mscocoface

Thanks...this was very helpful. I'd been wondering where an Indian store was near me, and now I've found several.

I have a question. I can see where these oils and powders are used for pree-poos, shampooing, oil rinses, cw's, and hair spritz's, but what about dc'ing. For ladies who use ONLY Ayurvedics, what do you dc with? TIA :)

I think this would be a good time to create a dc product. If anyone already has a creation please share.

What about mixing the tea or brew with an oil and leaving it on your hair with a conditioning cap and wrapping with a towel or sitting under the dryer?

I will try to research to see if it what the ladies of India do in this case or if they even feel the need to deep condition.

If any of you have an Indian friend would you mind asking them and reporting back to us?

Thanks.

nakialovesshoes

I'm so excited to finally be an Ayurvedic Lady. :grin: I went to the Indian grocery store yesterday & bought Vatika, Shikakai oil & powder, Amla oil & powder, neem powder & aritha powder. So far I've only used the shikakai & amla oils.

PuffyBrown

I really love Ayurvedic products. I have been using the supplements for a few years but started adding the haircare products after joining LCHF.

Kapoor Kachli, Amla, Aritha, Brahmi, and Shikakai

Going to try in the near future:

Heenara, Mehandi, Kalpi Tone

Last edited:

PuffyBrown

You could make hot water in the microwave oven and make a rinse, just make sure to leave it in for like 2 minutes. You could also use it the traditional way and make a loose paste, cover your head with plastic and use a heating cap or a hot towel and rinse.

(PS, if you are in the barracks, it will be a good idea to try to rinse in the sink so it will be less clean up in the shower....Good Luck!)

Hey ladies, I have a couple of questions for you. Since I am deployed right now, I don't really have to option to boil anything.

Does anyone have any other methods of using the powders?

Would the oils (amla and shakaikai *sp*) be as effective if used without the powders?

Is there a good online site that someone is using which also ships to an APO address????

TIA

miss Congeniality

Yesterday, I went to the Indian store and stocked up on Vatika oil and shampoo, Amla oil, and henna. I am not sure if I got the right henna to release a reddish color. It is henna with amla and katha.

Hair Iam

Amla (oil )
Jasmine oil

Neem (oil and powder/soap)

Shikakai (oil)
Vatika oil
Indian castor oil
mustard oil
Henna- once every 2-3 months
Mehandi oil
I have some more... too lazy to search right now

Sunshine0801

I've always been interested in trying ayurvedic products from the Indian grocery stores, but I have no idea which ones are any good and which ones I should stay away from. :perplexed I remember researching henna and reading about the dangerous types of henna that can be found in the grocery stores (i.e. black henna).

So can any ladies who buy their stuff from the stores post pics of what their products look like or give a description? Also, if any of you have used indigo henna to dye your hair black, can you also post what kind you buy?

Lavendar

I think this would be a good time to create a dc product. If anyone already has a creation please share.
Thanks.

For deep conditioning, I use 50 g of shikakai powder mixed with a 1/2 can coconut milk (not lite) and virgin coconut oil (you can also add raw honey). I let that sit for about 30 minutes and warm slightly in the microwave. I apply it to my hair and sit with a heat cap for 1 hour. When I rinse, my hair is very strong and super moisturized. I don't have to condition any further after I rinse. HTH!

frizzy

Hi Ladies. When I ordered my stuff two weeks ago I ordered from www.eastwestbazaar.com . The prices were pretty cheap. Just use the search function to find what you are looking for. The only thing they didn't have that I wanted was the hibiscus powder, but I got rose powder instead. They have a large selection of things. This company is out of Canada, so the shipping was a little high, so I ordered a lot to make it worth my while.:ohwell:

so so chic

For deep conditioning, I use 50 g of shikakai powder mixed with a 1/2 can coconut milk (not lite) and virgin coconut oil (you can also add raw honey). I let that sit for about 30 minutes and warm slightly in the microwave. I apply it to my hair and sit with a heat cap for 1 hour. When I rinse, my hair is very strong and super moisturized. I don't have to condition any further after I rinse. HTH!

Thanks for this!

*Muffin*

Hi Mscocoface! I wanted to say first of all that I've always admired your hair. And your fotki has helped me when it comes to information on Ayurveda (because I'm just starting out). Currently I'm using:

Henna
Aritha Powder
Brahmi Powder (haven't used it yet, but I've got it!)
Coconut Oil
Coconut Milk

I got the Henna, Aritha, and Coconut oil from my local Indian store. I had to buy the Brahmi online (I got it for cheap though, so that's good). I really want to get Indigo powder, Shikakai Powder, and Amla oil. My Indian store never seems to have any of those, so I'll probably have to buy them online.

mscocoface

Hi Mscocoface! I wanted to say first of all that I've always admired your hair. And your fotki has helped me when it comes to information on Ayurveda (because I'm just starting out). Currently I'm using:

Henna
Aritha Powder
Brahmi Powder (haven't used it yet, but I've got it!)
Coconut Oil
Coconut Milk

I got the Henna, Aritha, and Coconut oil from my local Indian store. I had to buy the Brahmi online (I got it for cheap though, so that's good). I really want to get Indigo powder, Shikakai Powder, and Amla oil. My Indian store never seems to have any of those, so I'll probably have to buy them online.

Well thank you, I am glad I can help in any way. I have to also purchase some of my products online because I cannot find them at the Indian store near me.

londonjakki

Well thank you, I am glad I can help in any way. I have to also purchase some of my products online because I cannot find them at the Indian store near me.

Thanks Mscocoface....I saw your fotki and thats what prompted me to purchase a bunch of stuff a few weeks ago:yep:...yesturday I went to the local indian store they were all out of amla powder:nono:...but I got lots of oils and I finally got the shakakai soap .99cents ~WOW~
Has anyone used amla or any other powder on their hands and face...this stuff is AWESOME it makes my face and hands sooooooo clear and brings your natural color out.....

Ballerina_Bun

I have been studying ayurveda some since last year, but not for hair or should I say not JUST for hair. I have been experimenting with the herbs too since last year. It's extrememly detailed once you start studying it. There is so much to learn, but it's very fun! I've been consulting with an ayurvedic doctor in India, too. I would like to find a reputable place to actually study, not just someone who's "throwing" a course . I want the "real deal" :grin: I better pack my bags and get ready to go to India ... lol:grin: