Who has fired their stylist?

Lynnerie

Hey ladies, I'm new here and I was wondering who here does their own hair? Have you given your stylist their walking papers and why? I'm new in Richmond,Va and didn't have a stylist so after going to dominican salons I finally found a place to get my relaxer done. My girlfriend recommended this lady. So I go and get a relaxer, I was pleased with my results however I was not pleased with her practices.

1. she bases me really well (good) she applies the relaxer, rinsed..Everything was good so far then it went down hilll....no deep conditioner just a leave in was applied.

2. She comb my hair with a rat tooth comb. :mad: I sat there and let her do it. Then I said "Can you not use that on my hair..it hurts" (It really didn't hurt though.)

3. I asked for a wrap. She put me under the dryer, she didn't wrap it. Then she blow dries it. Bumps it with marcel curlers, wraps it and throws me under the dryer for about 5 more minutes.

4. It came out looking good but I thought it was alot of heat.

But what really did it for me was watching her do the next girls hair while I was under the dryer. She washed the girls hair put some black gel on it, used a rubberband to put it in a ponytail. Put a phony pony on it and through her under the dryer.

So my question is who has fired their stylist and why. And if anyone knows of a good stylist in Richmond, Va. Holla at a sistah!

inthepink

Yep, I just fired mine and have resigned to doing my own hair, including trims. It will be a trial and error for a while but I'm up to the challenge. I'm tired of feeling like I'm at risk everytime I sit in that chair. Too many hair mishaps. I'd rather trust myself so if I screw up, I only have me to blame.

Healthb4Length

hairlove said:
Yep, I just fired mine and have resigned to doing my own hair, including trims. It will be a trial and error for a while but I'm up to the challenge. I'm tired of feeling like I'm at risk everytime I sit in that chair. Too many hair mishaps. I'd rather trust myself so if I screw up, I only have me to blame.

ITA! I figure if you want something done right, may as well do it yourself.

MizAvalon

I wouldn't say I fired her, it was more like "letting her go".:lol:

She always did a great job, but she was just entirely TOO slow. The last time I let her do my hair I got a wash and rollerset and it took 5 HOURS.:eek:

Divine Inspiration

Abso-freakin-lutely!!! I've let many a stylist go! I am diligent in my hair care regimen, and I refuse to let some .02 bitty to ruin it!!!

I've resorted to doing my own hair. The money I spend on salon visits is SO not worth it when I could do a better (more hair health-conscious) job at home. There are WAY too many issues to deal with in the salon and rather than suffer through it and feel like I'm inconveniencing somebody, I just whip out my lil' hood dryer, conditioning caps, mixing bowls, and my arsenal of products in this hair regime (little play on words for those who just can't seem to get regimen :lol: j/k).

So yeah, my new salon is Divine's Inspirational Do's where the stylist is Divine and so are the Do's!:lachen:

HoneyDew

I have gotten rid of so many!!!

One lady used to make a huge deal (in a bad way) about the thickness of my hair. She even charged me more. I was sitting in the chair once and a girl asked for the price of same thing I was getting. She quoted her a lower price and told me it was because my hair is so thick and coarse. She also gave me stupid advice and I never saw her with nice healthy hair. (weaves ALL the time).

I am afraid of "stylists" now.

karezone

I had my first pro salon visit in like 3 years last week for a touch up and I am very pleased. I might just let her do my touch ups she does my mom's.

But the lady does use a lot of heat. She blowdried it and then curled with marcels. To me, my hair smelled burnt, but my Mom said it was in my mind. But I guess getting it done, once every 10-12 weeks won't hurt. next time I might just have her wet wrap it and call it a night.

joyous

I'm done with my stylist. A customer who was getting a press, asked her to wait until the comb cooled down because it was smoking. She told the customer it was supposed to smoke, because it was heated. I'm thinking to myself but its not supposed to be in her hair until it stops smoking.

Lynnerie

HoneyDew said:
One lady used to make a huge deal (in a bad way) about the thickness of my hair. She even charged me more.
I am afraid of "stylists" now.

HoneyDew I feel what your saying. My stylist complained about my hair being thick too, but when I lived in Pittsburgh I had this stylist who was great. She was into healthy hair care and she is about 70 years old now and still healthy and doing hair. She said these days some stylists just don't know how to care for the hair, they don't wanna spend extra money on your head to give you a deep condition. This lady also had her workers give scalp massages while you waited.

HoneyDew

cluelessaka said:
HoneyDew I feel what your saying. My stylist complained about my hair being thick too, but when I lived in Pittsburgh I had this stylist who was great. She was into healthy hair care and she is about 70 years old now and still healthy and doing hair. She said these days some stylists just don't know how to care for the hair, they don't wanna spend extra money on your head to give you a deep condition. This lady also had her workers give scalp massages while you waited.

And she tried to make it seem as if it was bad having thick hair. Saying things to make it seem like I had "bad" hair (vs. the proverbial "good hair"). I let her know that I LOVE my thick hair. The last straw was when she charged me $30 for an Aphogee treatment. All the $$$ for someone that made me feel like I had bad hair. I have not found a decent person since then.

Last edited:

nelli711

Well I didn't really "fire" my stylist. I only go to her for trims. I do my own relaxers. On Wednesday, I relaxed my hair and flat ironed it because I wanted to check out the length and get a minor trim. Well I went in for a trim after work on Thursday and she asked me "how much are we cutting"? I said, "lets just do a 1/4 inch trim this time". So she is carrying on a conversation with my boyfriend and I and cutting my hair, and after she cuts my hair she says to me "I cut more than a 1/4 inch". I'm like WTF???? Why in the world would you ask someone how much they would like to have cut when you don't even listen?? I think she cut like an inch in the front and like .50" -.75" in the back. "The front I knew she cut more off because I told her after she cut what she did to take more off the front because I had some breakage) I looked in the mirror it looked good to me and my hair was still pretty long so I let it go. I got home and looked in MY mirror and I instantly got pissed because I think I have "hair anorexia" anyway so no matter what it looked to me like I didn't gain any length from October but I know I did. I'm over it now because I must say, my ends feel GREAT but its just the fact that I'm not gonna pay someone to do something that I don't want or even asked for.

Last edited: