Who Has Gained Inches From Rice Water???

snoop

@Artemis24 I had mine fermenting for a week and I think 6 drops of EO in 8oz of FRW masked the smell pretty well. The plastic bottle absorbed the EOs pretty well, so I didn't even have to use any on this last wash of diluted RW (using the original batch from two weeks ago).

Edited: I have tried the EOs with a diluted and undiluted mixture. Six drops may still be too much.

Artemis24

@Artemis24 I had mine fermenting for a week and I think 6 drops of EO in 8oz of FRW masked the smell pretty well. The plastic bottle absorbed the EOs pretty well, so I didn't even have to use any on this last wash of diluted RW (using the original batch from two weeks ago).

Edited: I have tried the EOs with a diluted and undiluted mixture. Six drops may still be too much.

I added 20 drops of peppermint EO to 2 cups of FRW. It was supposed to be one cup (with coltsfoot and catnip) but I overdid it with the EO so I added another jar (with fenugreek and catnip) to dilute the EO, It's currently in ice trays freezing. I haven't decided when or how I'm going to use any of these blends so I'm freezing them for now.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Forgot to ferment this week, so probably this week. Luckily I still have my leave in hanging until the fridge. I used some as a refresher while twisting my hair. Hair shed is less too after my rinse last week. I’ll see how it looks next week.

@Artemis24 I try not to use two growth aides at the same time. It might overwhelm your scalp and increase shedding. Then you’ll be on here thinking you need bloodwork when you really are just using too much. Just stick with one and maybe alternate. Or, use one on the scalp and one on the hair.

Neomorph

I am really enjoying my brown rice water treatments! There was very little shedding and breakage this week and my hair keeps getting easier and easier to detangle.

I think I'm going to start adding fenugreek seeds to my rice water, just to see if there is any added benefit. Have any of you ladies tried adding fenugreek or other herbs to your rice water? If so, how was it?

beloved1bx

I am really enjoying my brown rice water treatments! There was very little shedding and breakage this week and my hair keeps getting easier and easier to detangle.

I think I'm going to start adding fenugreek seeds to my rice water, just to see if there is any added benefit. Have any of you ladies tried adding fenugreek or other herbs to your rice water? If so, how was it?
I added fenugreek to my last batch. I also let the jar sit for at least 5 days and then put it in the fridge. It really didn't smell that bad by the time I used it. Maybe it was the fenugreek? I used brown rice if that matters.
Either way I'm going to continue because I think the rinse is really helping me with my shedding which was getting out of control.

snoop

Mine has been in my cupboard since Sunday. I'm planning on using it today. I've never used this stuff before but based on the description of the smell, DH says I need to open it outside.

My math skills are lacking, but I started off with 2 cups of water. I was thinking of diluting it 3:1 (plain water: rice water) based on other people's recommendations from online, which means that by the time I finish the jar it will have been fermenting for quite some time (I wash once per week). :(

So last night I finished the batch of RW that I'd made last month. I stil haven't figured out how to determine if it's rancid vs fermentation. I don't know if I was just getting used to the smell or if it was because it's been sitting in thr fridge, but I feel like it was smelling "sweeter" as the weeks went on.

I started a new batch last night and I'll let it ferment for a week, again. I'm using the rice from the last batch (I'd saved it in the freezer). This time I'll let the rice sit for a day or two then strain to continue the fermentation.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I have a batch I started on Wednesday. I am happy that my scalp is feeling a bit calmer after using the RW. I used a conditioner I made and used a rinse and my scalp has been fine. Fine meaning not annoying and itchy. However, my conditioner has pungent neem oil in it, so I’m guessing that may be the reason why I have no itching.

I’m trying to stay consistent for 3 months this time around.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
So, two weeks ago, I started a batch, left it out at room temperature for two days, placed it in the fridge and used it on my last wash day.

I felt like that rice was still good (I leave the rice in the water) and reused it last Sunday. Left it at room temperature until Wednesday. Placed it back in the fridge.

Took it out today. It smelled like baby doo doo diaper. Really bad. I used it as a rinse and then when I placed my conditioner on top, it was like spraying airwick over a tragic scent.

I’m reusing that rice one more week :look:

snoop

I have a batch fermenting since last weekend and another one that I started last night. I'm hoping that if I leave the older one for three to four weeks, that it'll smell good from the get go.

The new batch I'll use sometime between tomorrow evening and Wednesday.

I forgot to mention that I had to throw out said batch. It spoiled before I had a chance to refrigerate.

ebonysweetie

Ok so I soaked my black rice overnight, pained me because it’s one of my fav rice to eat but via de long hair! I just started a wash and go regimen. I’m thinking about straining it today and spraying in on for overnight. Questions

Must the water reach the funky stage?
Rinse vs no rinse?
Are we applying it daily or is that too much?
Which method provides the best results as far as frequency?

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
Have you considered just powdering some tea leaves?
Ladies I went to my local Korean store yesterday in search of the tea powder and was surprised that they did not carry it :ohwell: I have one more location to look Jong Boo off of Kimball but this one is YUGE in comparison but I’ll give it a try :sad:

Everything Zen

^^^That’s what I thought as well, but no one else has mentioned doing this. I know people were doing tea rinses at one point. Why would this be any different?

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
Woooo, read through the thread. Thanks for the info ladies! I've already started a batch today with a cup of rice and enough water to cover in a sealed mason jar. Going to let it ferment and do a rinse tomorrow. Probably going to boil it before use. I am dealing with really awful shedding from health and stress. So if this can help combat that I'm game.
Also going to go back to using sulfur oil treatments but that stuff STINKS! So I doubt that rice water can smell worse than that. lol
Has anyone tried rice bran oil too? The inner PJ in me is looking for a good brand because I do remember liking that oil too.

snoop

I made a batch of black rice today. It'll be my firsts time trying it. I HOPE that this batch doesn't go bad. I'm going to let it ferment for a week, again. There was a small amount that couldn't fit into the jar, so it's sitting on my counter for use tomorrow. It's just in a measuring cup with a plate on top. I hope that the container doesn't need to be air tight.

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
It might be easier to find bulk tea seeds and powder then yourself... idk. Could be wrong.
The tea seed powder that we're talking about is similar to soap nuts. The Chinese use it to clean clothes, dishes, floors, etc. It's not drinking tea.

snoop

It might be easier to find bulk tea seeds and powder then yourself... idk. Could be wrong.

I think the issue is that no one has had any luck finding it on the ground. I'm up in Canada and I'm assuming others are in the US. The search is NA-wide. We're hoping that one person can get a lead and that it may help the rest of to find it on the ground in our respective cities.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I found the last of my rice water this morning. I forgot it last week AND ACV for my scalp and I suffered a lot.

My rice water is about 3-4 weeks old now. Smells like baby diaper and I don’t care. I purchased regular rice, placed about 2 cups in a bowl with 4 cups of water and initially left it on the counter for 2 days. Then fridge. I used some for a spray bottle and used the rest of a rinse and then added more water. Left at room temp for 3 days, then fridge, and use that for just a rinse. Skipped a week and this week strained the rest of the water. It didn’t smell as bad but it’s been in the fridge for 2 weeks.

The rice today looked super starchy and the water still looks the same as when I first used it. My hair hasn’t been shedding as much, more detangled, easier to maintain, take down, my scalp has been better. I can go on. Honestly, considering my results have gotten better with the same batch, I don’t think I’ll throw the rice out after the first batch, just keep reusing the rice, but since people worry about protein overload (such as myself) I think it’s better to reuse weaker rice with weaker “protein” effects versus new batches weekly and risking protein effects. That just my take.

I haven’t done a length check but I started with BSL hair so maybe by September I’ll have something to check. I just know I started end of April-early May.