Who Has Gained Inches From Rice Water???

Muse

I started using rice water April 7th, when i sprayed it in my hair as a leave in.

On April 12th, I mixed rice water and bentonite clay and left it in my hair overnight.

(It gave me mild protein overload)

April 17th (yesterday), I pulled down my curly bangs and it went much lower than it was supposed to.

I went and investigated today...measured, remeasured, checked my pic from april 7th...

And it seems that I've gained .75 inches in growth in 10 days!!!

(I normally grow .4 to .5 inches a MONTH)

I'm amazed, and will take some update pictures in the next 10 days to see if this was a fluke.

(Don't watch my wash n go in the before pic...it was dry and shrunken from having been in a puff for a few days...
It makes the before after look more dramatic than it should be, lol)

Awesome! Your curls are very pretty. I wish I had curl definition like that.
Also, you are brave to leave clay AND rice water in your hair overnight. My hair would've been like:eek2:.

Nova

I must know because I am bombarded with rice water videos claiming that "IT GROWS HAIR FAST." So please!...tell me the truth! lol

Do YOU KNOW for YOURSELF that it WORKS?! *cuz I gotta 5lb bag of rice in the cabinet*

Thank you so very kindly:grin:.

Had to re-subscribe to respond to your question to let you know what rice water did for my hair.

Been on the fence about trying rice water treatment for several months. In the meantime, my hair was shedding big time. Tea rinses, coffee rinses, ACV rinses didn't help! Whenever I combed my hair, I'd get a comb full of hair! Even running my hands through my hair, I would get a handful of hair. Why I have "any hair" on my head today is a mystery given as much as I lost. It shedded so badly, I had a bald spot where my widow's peak "used to be!" Plus, my edges have all but disappeared.

Two weeks ago, I finally took the plunge and tried rice water. I washed my hair, moisturized/deep-condished with oil and honey added to the mixture. I rinsed, then...applied the rice water treatment. I didn't rinse it out.
Results: NO SHEDDING!!! Only a "few strands" in my comb. I couldn't believe the results! I thought improvement, if any, would result over time if I was consistent and lucky. 2nd treatment was last week. Again, I only lost a few strands! I don't think I received any growth in these two weeks. I'm aiming for retention, strength and minimal-to-no-shedding. Rice water treatment has addressed these issues. I let my rice water ferment for over a week. I added peppermint e.o., lavender e.o. and grapefruit extract to minimize the smell. Didn't work in my case. The smell was enough to kill the dead!!! But I was desperate. I was tired of losing my hair. The smell dissipated once my hair dried. However, when my hair dried, it was hard. I had to lightly dampen it with liquid leave-in spray and applied avocado oil and re-braid. When my hair dried this time, it was so soft and somewhat straighter (I have natural 4b hair). I'm sorry this so long. Just wanted to share my experience with rice water. It's a keeper for me.

All the money I spent on expensive hair products to stop this massive shedding when the answer was in my kitchen all along for just a few cents on the $$$. Good luck if you decide to try it.

metro_qt

Awesome! Your curls are very pretty. I wish I had curl definition like that.
Also, you are brave to leave clay AND rice water in your hair overnight. My hair would've been like:eek2:.
It was some straight bravery! I was nervous, but it turned out well...my curls really like it.

About my curl definition, thanks! I'm always experimenting! I didn't have curl definition until this year either, lots of product testing.

Muse

I'm currently sitting with my third rinse in my hair. I'm just waiting to rinse it out.

Has anyone experienced softness at first then the hair becoming brittle over time? Like months later?

My hair started to feel soft but dry and coated after using it weekly as a final rinse for 3 weeks in a row. I moved to monthly use but wanted to use it more often to keep up on the anti shedding properties. Using it as a prepoo got rid of that dry coated feeling. I didn't experience brittleness but may have if I continued to use it that way, as a final rinse.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I put some rice water on my scalp Thursday night. I woke up at 5 this morning like nope... washed it super quick. Them itchies were real. Not sure if I would do that again, but when I sprayed my scalp with my rice water leave in mix, nothing. I think the rice water needs a buffer. Today, I just did a rinse and I think I can be ok with that.

fluffyforever

Ok real talk... how can I know the difference between fermented rice water and moldy rice water? When I checked on my water this evening it was sizzling and popping and warm. I’m assuming it’s fermenting. But is there something else growing in that bowl? The smell wasn’t horrible, just smells like bread yeast mixed with water.

I poured in a mason jar and put it in the fridge to stop the process. I wanted to ask the experts before I use it whether or not it’s safe.

fluffyforever

@fluffyforever
When I remove my lid(s) it is kinda' foamy/cloudy. But I wouldn't say it was 'moldy' though.

I also put mine in the fridge to stop the fermentation.

I haven't heard sizzling but I haven't been close to it (kitchen counter). But since there is/was "foam" I guess it had been sitting there fizzing.
So do you remove the foam before use? Mine has foam, and it looks scummy like the foam left in the bottom of a cup after all root beer float has been consumed.

snoop

I washed again with diluted rice water, but I'd missed doing my regular protein treatment last week so I coupled them. The protein that I use is the one by Komaza Hair Care.

I shampooed, rice rinsed (30 min with heat), protein treatment, conditioned. Oddly enough, my hair didn't feel as strong as it usually does after a protein treatment. My hair just felt... like hair. Not overly soft but not hard. I don't think I'll try it again just in case.

Everything Zen

That would be so awesome of you to do that! I hate going into the Asian markets near me because they barely speak English and look at me like I'm crazy when I come in asking for stuff. I'll go check them out tomorrow though and will do the same as you and make it available to everyone.
I was surprised to see it wasn't available in small quantities on Amazon. The only thing on there is a kilo for $95.

I haven’t forgotten about doing this. My plans to go got altered due to work but hopefully in the next few weeks.

Last edited:

Artemis24

I just found out the hard way that using herbs does not kill the smell if you ferment for longer. I have 5 jars with different combinations going since 4/24. The one with fenugreek smells the least offensive but they all smell like some variation of stinky cheese. They were all very active in the jars, I think it's because the herbs feed the bacteria. I only did my original batch for 48hrs.

I have a jar of black rice I started yesterday and I had to switch it to a bigger jar this morning because it expanded to the top and absorbed most of the water. I'm keeping a close eye on this one.

Last edited: