Who Has Gained Inches From Rice Water???

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
Ime, yes. Unequivocally.
I cut off about 6-8” of hair back in January and have already grown back 1.5-2”
The only questions are “Do the effects taper off like the inversion method?” And “Are there adverse effects like when using coffee/tea?”
So far, I haven’t had any drawbacks.
Commercial leave-ins have left my regimen indefinitely. I use 3 day fermented rice water with nettle tea and essential oil added to it nearly every night.
I’ve seen people apparently achieve results on YouTube using it just once a week, but I got to be extra with everything. Maryam Hampton has a rice spray she uses on a daily basis as well.
If the growth effects ever taper, I’ll continue to use it for its exceptional ability to make my hair smoother, stronger, and more manageable. My curl poppage is also much more defined. I have fewer knots, tangles, and splits as well.

sheanu

Ime, yes. Unequivocally.
The only questions are “Do the effects taper off like the inversion method?” And “Are there adverse effects like when using coffee/tea?”
Commercial leave-ins have left my regimen indefinitely. I use 3 day fermented rice water with nettle tea and essential oil added to it nearly every night.
I’ve seen people apparently achieve results on YouTube using it just once a week, but I got to be extra with everything. Maryam Hampton has a rice spray she uses on a daily basis as well.
If the growth effects ever taper, I’ll continue to use it for its exceptional ability to make my hair smoother, stronger, and more manageable. My curl poppage is also much more defined. I have fewer knots, tangles, and splits as well.
Interesting!

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
Ime, yes. Unequivocally.
Thank you my dear - Rhett Butler voice from gone with the wind.

prettydarkthing

Me too! *chews gum faster*

This thread had me looking at my grocery list thinking "rice, need more rice". Then I looked at the linked video and saw the 9th comment where someone said the Youtuber's hair is the same length as it was 2 years ago which is likely why there's no comparison pictures.
Also the 1st comment on the video, yes, DH will side eye me if he does see me put any more groceries on my head. Not that I wouldn't if it works. :lachen:

I haven't found a growth aid that works consistently, so I haven't tried any for years, but was curious because I see rice water left and right. I think I need to just pay those ladies who use chebe powder to let me be a temporary tribe member so they can put their juices and berries in my hair. I would pay for that. :look:

If you try it please share an update. :)

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
This thread had me looking at my grocery list thinking "rice, need more rice". Then I looked at the linked video and saw the 9th comment where someone said the Youtuber's hair is the same length as it was 2 years ago which is likely why there's no comparison pictures.
Also the 1st comment on the video, yes, DH will side eye me if he does see me put any more groceries on my head. Not that I wouldn't if it works. :lachen:

I haven't found a growth aid that works consistently, so I haven't tried any for years, but was curious because I see rice water left and right. I think I need to just pay those ladies who use chebe powder to let me be a temporary tribe member so they can put their juices and berries in my hair. I would pay for that. :look:

If you try it please share an update. :)

I got you, lol, but we're going off of what @kxlot79 stated her results were.

abioni

What are the adverse effects of coffee/tea?

Ime, yes. Unequivocally.

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
I say that rice water attributes to more than just increased growth rate. My cuticles feel so smooth after I use it. Even my ends feel smooth (and I know I have split ends). Having laid cuticles reduce friction between strands. Minimal ssks. Has my hair grown a lot... yes absolutely. I feel like incorporating rice water into my regimen not only increased my hair growth but allowed me to retain the length also.

ETA: use the older videos or search in LHCF to see how people ferment their rice water. I let my rice sit in water for minimum of 48 hrs and I apply it to my hair (under a cap for 30 mins) after I shampoo.

Muse

This thread just cost me $6.50, lol. I haven't posted on here in a long time but have stayed a lurker.
Anywho, I love rice water rinses! I've been doing them for a few months now. TamaraShaniece is right, it's not just the hair growth but I experience smoother, softer hair. It's stronger and I can get by with less product usage now. Best of all MUCH less shedding. I just went through a year of excess shedding (I believe due to medication I was taking but since stopped) and after one rinse I saw results. I shed like a normal person now. To tell you the truth I haven't noticed my hair shooting out of my scalp at the speed of light but I do know that this is a game changer for RETENTION. I have decent growth rate but retention has always been my uphill battle. If you have excessive shedding try this. You really have nothing to lose. You can get supplies on the ground, it's super cheap, and if it doesn't work you can eat the rest of the rice so no waste or another potion buried in the product graveyard.
Thanks for posting this OP. I checked out the older threads on here but they fizzled out pretty quickly which actually is surprising to me.

Muse

I think rice water was very popular prior to the recent YT raid of videos on it. No one is consistent across the board. It’s like everyone jumped on the band wagon for views and made their own rice process.

Yeah the YT craze is annoying because there are people out right scamming with the results for views. I called one girl out because she was grabbing hair from two completely different sections on the same side and claiming growth. I told her if she posted that on the hair forums back in the day she would've gotten roasted. Another girl was doing the serious "lean back" while measuring. There are only 3 rice water videos that are worth watching. Green Beauty has a good one called The Science of Rice Water but she doesn't use it, just explain how it works.

Last edited:

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
@TamaraShaniece What's your process? How often do you do it? Do you leave in or rinse out?

I buy my rice from a lady that adds cinnamon and other herbs in it. I use it weekly but these past 2 months, I’ve been leaving my hair in twists for 4 wks since the rw stays in your hair. Come first day of spring, I’m back to weekly washes using rw.

I’ll add 2 tbsp to a bottle.... I let the water & herbs sit in the rice for a minimum of 48 hrs. Apply it to freshly washed hair, let it sit for 30 mins, rinse, and deep condition.

I watched the Yao women video and it’s translation.. so I hope I can recreate a similar formula.

My February wash... I used 3 week old rice water. Hmmm, wasn’t such a great idea. My hair felt incredible. However, the water lift of so much dead skin on my scalp, I couldn’t hide it. I have a fresh clean scalp (no dead skin build up or product build up) but sheesh. I knew I wanted to exfoliate my scalp like I do my face but damn. Lol.

Last edited:

Muse

I buy my rice from a lady that adds cinnamon and other herbs in it. I use it weekly but these past 2 months, I’ve been leaving my hair in twists for 4 wks since the rw stays in your hair. Come first day of spring, I’m back to weekly washes using rw.

I’ll add 2 tbsp to a bottle.... I let the water & herbs sit in the rice for a minimum of 48 hrs. Apply it to freshly washed hair, let it sit for 30 mins, rinse, and deep condition.

I watched the Yao women video and it’s translation.. so I hope I can recreate a similar formula.

My February wash... I used 3 week old rice water. Hmmm, wasn’t such a great idea. My hair felt incredible. However, the water lift of so much dead skin on my scalp, I couldn’t hide it. I have a fresh clean scalp (no dead skin build up or product build up) but sheesh. I knew I wanted to exfoliate my scalp like I do my face but damn. Lol.

That's exactly what I do, use the rinse between shampooing and conditioning. Let it sit for 20-30 minutes and rinse.
That's interesting about the results you got from 3 week fermentation of the rice. Sounds like it gave you a scalp detox. I only let my rice water sit for 24 hours because I don't want to deal with the smell, lol.
Oh, and that rice blend you buy from that lady sounds delicious.

Theresamonet

So you only use 2 tbsp of rice? To how much water?

@Muse What are the 3 videos worth watching?

Muse

So you only use 2 tbsp of rice? To how much water?

@Muse Wuhat are the 3 videos worth watching?

The one by Green Beauty, ones by a girl named Jaazz Mary, and Kristen Alexia. I should've said 3 YouTubers because the last two have several rice water videos. Jaazz's shedding results got me and Kristen's overall look and health of her hair compared to before she started were pretty impressive.
Oh and I forgot about Ms. Debbie:

Theresamonet

The one by Green Beauty, ones by a girl named Jaazz Mary, and Kristen Alexia. I should've said 3 YouTubers because the last two have several rice water videos. Jaazz's shedding results got me and Kristen's overall look and health of her hair compared to before she started were pretty impressive.
Oh and I forgot about Ms. Debbie:

Thank you. I remember that Ms. Debbie video from the thread here a few years ago.

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
@TamaraShaniece please tell us more about the rice you buy.

I've been using RW for the last few weeks and like the results too. Not rapid length growth but no shedding which makes me happy.

I’ve been using the rice that Adwoa on YT makes. Now she only sells the premade version which I preferred the dry rice myself. Once I run out I won’t repurch unless she resells the rice again.

https://dominicandoobiesbyadwoa.com...MIRACLE-GROWTH-WATER™️/p/128688907/category=0

Theresamonet

I’ve decided to go ahead and try it, finally. I put 1/3 cup of rice in a 2 cup mason jar and filled it with water. I let the water sit for 1 hour and strained, then returned the water to the mason jar. I’m going to ferment it for 3-4 days. I’m doing my hair tonight, and I’m not planning to redo it for at least 3 days.

I’m still feeling skeptical. If rice water is as amazing as everyone claims, with all the people doing it, the whole community should have long lush hair by now. Lol

Muse

I’ve decided to go ahead and try it, finally. I put 1/3 cup of rice in a 2 cup mason jar and filled it with water. I let the water sit for 1 hour and strained, then returned the water to the mason jar. I’m going to ferment it for 3-4 days. I’m doing my hair tonight, and I’m not planning to redo it for at least 3 days.

I’m still feeling skeptical. If rice water is as amazing as everyone claims, with all the people doing it, the whole community should have long lush hair by now. Lol

Can't wait to hear your results. I feel you on seeing results from other people though. I think it's being way over hyped on YouTube as far as the growth goes so they have us thinking we will get 2 inches in 3 days or something (someone literally said they got this in the comment section of one of the rice water videos and I'm sitting there rolling my eyes). The lady in Ms. Debbie's video took 9 months of use to get her results which is still really good but nothing overnight. Even if you don't get super growth but reap the many other benefits I'd say it's a win.

Theresamonet

Can't wait to hear your results. I feel you on seeing results from other people though. I think it's being way over hyped on YouTube as far as the growth goes so they have us thinking we will get 2 inches in 3 days or something (someone literally said they got this in the comment section of one of the rice water videos and I'm sitting there rolling my eyes). The lady in Ms. Debbie's video took 9 months of use to get her results which is still really good but nothing overnight. Even if you don't get super growth but reap the many other benefits I'd say it's a win.

Yeah, it’s the reports of smoother cuticles and reduced SSKs that has me wanting to try it now. I’m not really concerned about accelerating growth. That would just be a nice bonus.