Who Has Gained Inches From Rice Water???

Hairties

Anyone know of a readymade rice water tonic that I can get in a store or online. I’m too lazy to make anything

Curls & Potions -Chebe growth rice water and the bamboo and rice water rinse
Uhurunaturals on Etsy- fermented rice water. Black rice spray also available
https://www.etsy.com/listing/621228...ected?ref=hp_opfy_buyer_promise-1&frs=1&bes=1

Soultanicals -rice water tonic
https://www.hattache.com/collections/vendors?q=Soultanicals

Stunnababez on Etsy- fermented rice milk conditioning spray
https://www.etsy.com/shop/STUNNABABEZHAIR?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=657643929

nycutiepie

Curls & Potions -Chebe growth rice water and the bamboo and rice water rinse
Uhurunaturals on Etsy- fermented rice water. Black rice spray also available
https://www.etsy.com/listing/621228...ected?ref=hp_opfy_buyer_promise-1&frs=1&bes=1

Soultanicals -rice water tonic
https://www.hattache.com/collections/vendors?q=Soultanicals

Stunnababez on Etsy- fermented rice milk conditioning spray
https://www.etsy.com/shop/STUNNABABEZHAIR?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=657643929

Thabk you so much and I’ll look into these

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
I saw The Chic Natural post on Rice Water and thought I’d share. Some people don’t get “dramatic” results, but they still get results. And yeah, some people don’t notice their results. Or don’t get any :look: But it’s a pretty cheap and easy experiment, worth doing if you ask me at least to try and see.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
I used Nurcreations Fermented Rice Water with Ashwagandha last weekend under a DC. When I rinsed out my hair was moisturized but strengthened. I have a few rinses to use up but I liked it.

I like stunnababez and curls/potions on twists and protective styles though. Even for the liquid in the loc/lco method. Very moisturizing.

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
I never updated on how I liked the black rice. I got it 04/19 and I’ve been using it ever since. For me, it doesn’t smell almost at all. It has a mostly neutral scent to me, which seems to not be affected by how long I ferment it. I aim for 3 days but sometimes I forget and it’s been 6-7 days and I don’t have problems with it. I make about 2 batches per month and I leave a spray bottle out of the refrigerator for 2 weeks at a time, though I don’t endorse it (as I’ve rarely had spoilage issues but many people get spoilage even with commercial products). It’s all the benefits I received with regular rice water but NO UNPLEASANTNESS. I feel like it isn’t as “slick” in a bad way as regular rice water and it definitely has a longer shelf life for me. I haven’t done a comparison, but it’s at least as good as regular rice water for me.

I had a devastating haircut over a year ago, and have gone through stages of trying to fix/maintain the shape (since my hair grows a bit unevenly and the messy layers irritate me enough to unnecessarily trim even though I suspect it would mostly balance out if I gave it 6-12 months to do so).:drunk:
This year, since I haven’t been going out or styling my hair and was getting a bit down/bored with it, and trimming it often enough that my growth efforts, while much improved, is a bit draining with my counterproductive behavior. So, I gave myself a good old fashioned growth challenge.

That is all to say, I cornrowed my hair (aggressively* protective styling) and used RW as my base for a growth spurt, but incorporated lots of other things too. In the most dramatic areas, I achieved 1.75”+ in 29 days. I was very careful in how I braided and ensured my braids were snug and even. I impressed myself and I’m trying to replicate the results but I’ve never tried an aggressive challenge two months in a row.

I say this to say that no/low manipulation styles are fantastic for length retention but if combined with growth challenges, it’s easier for me to separate growth from length retention— especially because I love to play in my hair and have been trimming frequently for aesthetics.
Keeping in a style purely for growth/length retention for +2 weeks is aggressive PSing for me. And when I get moody and bummed out with my hair, I’m liable to only put basic effort into it, so challenges help me keep focus when I start losing motivation.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
Aww :( well I still may try it in the future but I think I’ll try some easier growth aides first. Rice water seems like a hassle and it stank :laugh:

It doesn't have to stank. Maybe try black rice first and don't let it ferment for a long time regardless of what rice you use. My rice didn't stink. But I'd highly recommend using the Green Beauty method.

GGsKin

I agree @mzteaze. At most my rice water smelled like baby sick, and that's me actively taking a sniff. Not great, but I've drank collagen that has smelled similar lol. I've left it for 2-3 weeks at most and still used it- because I've often thrown out the leftovers. None of these foul 'stench of 40000 years'¹ descriptions that I've seen. I can't tell you how many times I've thrown some rice water away because I just didn't trust it after a while.

Mapleoats

I agree @mzteaze. At most my rice water smelled like baby sick, and that's me actively taking a sniff. Not great, but I've drank collagen that has smelled similar lol. I've left it for 2-3 weeks at most and still used it- because I've often thrown out the leftovers. None of these foul 'stench of 40000 years'¹ descriptions that I've seen. I can't tell you how many times I've thrown some rice water away because I just didn't trust it after a while.
LOL @ stench of 40000 years! The reviews are definitely a mixed bag, guess I just gotta try it for myself to find out if it works for me

Theresamonet

LOL @ stench of 40000 years! The reviews are definitely a mixed bag, guess I just gotta try it for myself to find out if it works for me

There are so many different methods to preparing the rice water. People are fermenting it between 24 hours and 4 weeks. Some are washing, some are not. There are folks who boil it after, some boil it first. Orange peels vs no orange peels. And then there are the various rices used. It’s like no two people are making it the same way. That’s why to some of us it smells like death, and other people don’t smell much of anything.

Mapleoats

There are so many different methods to preparing the rice water. People are fermenting it between 24 hours and 4 weeks. Some are washing, some are not. There are folks who boil it after, some boil it first. Orange peels vs no orange peels. And then there are the various rices used. It’s like no two people are making it the same way. That’s why to some of us it smells like death, and other people don’t smell much of anything.
Yes after watching a few videos it’s too many steps for me right now. I’m not against DIY but I prefer to keep it as simple as possible. Also it seems like a protein treatment as opposed to an actual growth aide, and I’m more so looking for a growth aide. I’m going to give MSM a try for a few months and if that doesn’t work out for me I’ll reconsider the RW

Theresamonet

Yes after watching a few videos it’s too many steps for me right now. I’m not against DIY but I prefer to keep it as simple as possible. Also it seems like a protein treatment as opposed to an actual growth aide, and I’m more so looking for a growth aide. I’m going to give MSM a try for a few months and if that doesn’t work out for me I’ll reconsider the RW

I did make it again after my first attempt, only fermenting for 48 hours, and it didn’t smell that bad. I still didn’t use it though. It just doesn’t sit right with me. Seems risky to pour “fermented” foods onto my scalp, with no real idea of how to properly ferment anything. I know many people have used it and are fine, but I feel like I would be the one to end up with some type of flesh eating bacteria.

Since I have all of these herbs and Ayurvedic powders in my cabinet, I decided to make an oil. I used fenugreek, amla, neem, tulsi, brahmi in a base of just olive oil with some eucalyptus and peppermint eo. I was thinking of adding some sublimed sulfur, because I think that’s what Njoy used in her growth oil recipe. But... since I only plan to use the oil as a wash day pre-poo/HOT, that may be pointless.

snoop

I've found that if you wash your rice like you plan on cooking it and THEN start the soaking and fermenting process, the water doesn't smell at all. It's only when you do the one time rinse that you get frousy smelling water.

In reference to the above discussion, I should add that I didn't boil mine and I'd let mine ferment for a week in the cupboard before putting it in the fridge. I'd have enough to last for over a month. I've tried with brown basmati and black & mahogany rice.

I've also made a batch of rice water that went bad. If you think that regular rice water is stank, you definitely know when you've got a bad batch. It smells literally like garbage (on a summer's day). And it had mold. If we are able to link to IGTV I have some really short videos of my fermentation experiments.

snoop

I did make it again after my first attempt, only fermenting for 48 hours, and it didn’t smell that bad. I still didn’t use it though. It just doesn’t sit right with me. Seems risky to pour “fermented” foods onto my scalp, with no real idea of how to properly ferment anything. I know many people have used it and are fine, but I feel like I would be the one to end up with some type of flesh eating bacteria.

Since I have all of these herbs and Ayurvedic powders in my cabinet, I decided to make an oil. I used fenugreek, amla, neem, tulsi, brahmi in a base of just olive oil with some eucalyptus and peppermint eo. I was thinking of adding some sublimed sulfur, because I think that’s what Njoy used in her growth oil recipe. But... since I only plan to use the oil as a wash day pre-poo/HOT, that may be pointless.

I swear I was looking at one seller's Insta page and I saw fuzzies on her fermentation. There are certain things that I won't chance supporting small businesses with.

bzb1990

3b/3c. henna/cassia.
edited to bold parts
it absolutely works used it from 2013-end of 2016 (maybe longer, but I remember being v stringent about it during that time period) . hair goal.png- after having had hair loss all along the front during pregnancy and after, being told by people I was 'balding' 'receding hairline'
and quite a bit of breakage and shedding in general, -- I did not know anything I know now-

used rice water either daily or every other day as it was recommended to me by several ppl- used castor oil straight or mixed with oils as well, but although it works, caused breakouts so I was not regularly using it.
Made it fresh almost each time,
doesn't take much rice to make some for your hair, and the soaked rice can be used to cook small portions of rice anyway.

there was a definite difference, would use it at least 2 days a week, if not daily, and use with oils occasionally if wanted, but could even feel the difference - i had a lot of breakage
prior (did not know of all the other things ppl do like deep conditioning, co-wash.. i think I first tried shea butter in 2015)
I didn't even use styling products back then.
Totally ignorant + unskilled compared to people on this forum.
Retained length .- also used vitamins, but with rice water you can feel the difference - definitely

Last edited:

bzb1990

3b/3c. henna/cassia.
In reference to the above discussion, I should add that I didn't boil mine and I'd let mine ferment for a week in the cupboard before putting it in the fridge. I'd have enough to last for over a month. I've tried with brown basmati and black & mahogany rice.

I've also made a batch of rice water that went bad. If you think that regular rice water is stank, you definitely know when you've got a bad batch. It smells literally like garbage (on a summer's day). And it had mold. If we are able to link to IGTV I have some really short videos of my fermentation experiments.
i never fermented mine, and it still worked (could feel difference in strength of hair) .. will google the reason for fermenting.
edit; oh if leaving it for 1 or 1.5 days is fermenting (?), that's what i did
need to start doing this again, even saw a video shared by forum posters of the progress..

Last edited:

Newhottie

Project Back to fabulousness
I did this once with about a tablespoon of rice in an empty honey jar with a stick of cinnamon. Let the water and rice sit for a week.

It was fine, a bit smelly and too runny to leave on for long. I should’ve used in a spray bottle maybe.

It smoothed my hair but didn’t use consistently enough to know if it grows hair. Plus I was a bit concerned with placing spoiled food on my head.

Mapleoats

I was taking my twists down yesterday and realized I do have a use case for rice water after all. My crown area always feels so rough and looks frizzy/fryed. Its like the cuticles seems permanently lifted. The rest of my hair is not like this. I think I’ll try the rice water on my crown only, and see if it helps

bzb1990

3b/3c. henna/cassia.
I saw The Chic Natural post on Rice Water and thought I’d share. Some people don’t get “dramatic” results, but they still get results. And yeah, some people don’t notice their results. Or don’t get any :look: But it’s a pretty cheap and easy experiment, worth doing if you ask me at least to try and see.
that girl is so unbelievably pretty, I haven't even pressed play yet. edit; i see this is an older post, for some reason i thought it was the latest. smh need some sleep

bzb1990

3b/3c. henna/cassia.
So recently I have been adding fenugreek seeds to my rice water mixture. Like you, my curls are popping and I've noticed higher moisture retention throughout the week along with increased slip when detangling! Rice and fenugreek have been game changers!!

I think moving forward I will start making my own DC using the rice/fenugreek water and adding some bentointe and rhassoul clay to it! Right now I am using it as a pre-poo and a hair rinse, but I think I will start experimenting with it being part of my DC routine (just to speed things up and to have fewer steps in my hair-wash routine.

This sounds doable and relatively cheap to do - however, my assumption about bentonite + rhassoul clays was that they both are drying and cleansing. Do you want to do this for the texture of the DC? Curious as I have a pack of green clay powder in the fridge for over a year now and cannot figure out how to use it up

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
You didn’t address the question to me, but many people find that clays have a detangling/smoothing/clumping effect on their hair— so a little clay, whatever “a little” is for you, can add these properties &/or detoxification properties to your DC, whether store bought or home made.

if you’ve ever tried a DC you liked that had a bit of clay in it, then you can expect similar or better results depending on your concoction.

Naturelle Grow had an amazing DC with pink clay. It performed a kind of voodoo on my hair and also lots of other ladies, including a poster... named Yvette? She might’ve changed her name but she started a Curly Proverbs based thread a few years back. If I remember, I’ll link to it. I only stopped buying NG when I decided to keep my purchases limited to what I could buy easily on the ground.

Shea Moisture also had a clay treatment, the OG formula for the Purification Mask (which I am hoarding my last jar of, and planning to kick off Jan 2021 by using up)— and I (and many others) LOVED the original formula. I personally used it as a CoWash at some times and a DC or prepoo at others. It was really great stuff.

Those are the most notable I tried.
I’ve also heard amazing things about DCs/treatments with a bit of clay in them from Honey’s Handmade, Soultanicals, and Anita Grant, but have no personal experience with those brands.

My suggestion would be to use your experience with a commercial clay based product as a comparison for what’s possible with some experimentation at home. Or even, if you have a nice slippy non-silicone conditioner that you feel like you can CoWash with, that makes a nice 1/3 for a creamier formulation to your clay wash. One of my favorites for this purpose is Elucence’s Moisture Balancing Conditioner— but that’s a difficult to find (maybe discontinued?) product (I’m using the last of my gallon up by Spring 2021).

sorry for the novella! Hope this helps!:)

This sounds doable and relatively cheap to do - however, my assumption about bentonite + rhassoul clays was that they both are drying and cleansing. Do you want to do this for the texture of the DC? Curious as I have a pack of green clay powder in the fridge for over a year now and cannot figure out how to use it up

Kutie85

Thabk you so much and I’ll look into these
I’m very loyal to Curls and Potions . I use the bamboo rice water and the Açaí rice water . I also take Olly hair vitamins and use some growth oils . This is after my second big chop 2 years ago . Tbh I was only supposed to get a trim and walked out almost bald . I wanted to whoop that girls ass. I basically had no hair . I feel like it makes my hair really strong . I started buying pre made because I don’t have any patience to make it myself .

Attachments

• 34D12EAE-116E-4227-8818-092EC5B9F991.jpeg
    34D12EAE-116E-4227-8818-092EC5B9F991.jpeg
    304.8 KB · Views: 5