Who Has Gained Inches From Rice Water???

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
Last night I started my black rice water in a jar and added two teaspoons of my (knockoff) Curly Proverbz tea to the hot water. I'll let it sit about 15 or 16 hours then blend and strain. I will try freezing it for future use.

Theresamonet

You didn’t address the question to me, but many people find that clays have a detangling/smoothing/clumping effect on their hair— so a little clay, whatever “a little” is for you, can add these properties &/or detoxification properties to your DC, whether store bought or home made.

if you’ve ever tried a DC you liked that had a bit of clay in it, then you can expect similar or better results depending on your concoction.

Naturelle Grow had an amazing DC with pink clay. It performed a kind of voodoo on my hair and also lots of other ladies, including a poster... named Yvette? She might’ve changed her name but she started a Curly Proverbs based thread a few years back. If I remember, I’ll link to it. I only stopped buying NG when I decided to keep my purchases limited to what I could buy easily on the ground.

Shea Moisture also had a clay treatment, the OG formula for the Purification Mask (which I am hoarding my last jar of, and planning to kick off Jan 2021 by using up)— and I (and many others) LOVED the original formula. I personally used it as a CoWash at some times and a DC or prepoo at others. It was really great stuff.

Those are the most notable I tried.
I’ve also heard amazing things about DCs/treatments with a bit of clay in them from Honey’s Handmade, Soultanicals, and Anita Grant, but have no personal experience with those brands.

My suggestion would be to use your experience with a commercial clay based product as a comparison for what’s possible with some experimentation at home. Or even, if you have a nice slippy non-silicone conditioner that you feel like you can CoWash with, that makes a nice 1/3 for a creamier formulation to your clay wash. One of my favorites for this purpose is Elucence’s Moisture Balancing Conditioner— but that’s a difficult to find (maybe discontinued?) product (I’m using the last of my gallon up by Spring 2021).

sorry for the novella! Hope this helps!:)
Carol’s Daughter had a Rhassoul clay mask that I loved. Left my hair so soft and defined. Of course it’s now discontinued. :rolleyes: Not sure how much of that can be attributed to the clay though, since it was several ingredients in.

In general though, clays have never been drying on my hair.

bzb1990

3b/3c. henna/cassia.
Last night I started my black rice water in a jar and added two teaspoons of my (knockoff) Curly Proverbz tea to the hot water. I'll let it sit about 15 or 16 hours then blend and strain. I will try freezing it for future use.
Waff posted about the CP tea just recently. I won't be making it but this is hopefully gonna rock your socks.

i'm just amazed at how information about the DIY haircare/beauty bug spreads so generously and easily among women, marrying info from around the world about plants and oils from around the world, and science with traditions,
creating new recipes with that info...
And how people have faith in the person and try it out, support each other through the whole process, etc. And majority of us having never met in real life.

In our grandmothers' days, such a thing was not possible. They would have loved it.

snoop

I came across this Vogue article on the Yao women and their rice water traditions. I know it was mentioned before that when they cut their hair they often use them as extensions, but it seems as though they carry that hair around and use it for different things.

The article has a rice water recipe, a description and video of how they make it, and a description and video of how they use it.

https://www.vogue.com/projects/13548460/women-of-huang-luo-china-long-hair-tradition

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
I came across this Vogue article on the Yao women and their rice water traditions. I know it was mentioned before that when they cut their hair they often use them as extensions, but it seems as though they carry that hair around and use it for different things.

The article has a rice water recipe, a description and video of how they make it, and a description and video of how they use it.

https://www.vogue.com/projects/13548460/women-of-huang-luo-china-long-hair-tradition
That was a very interesting article.