Who Has Had A Hair Transplant? I Have..

soupreem27

I just recently had a hair transplant (about 6 months ago). So far my results have been great, but I can't wait to see more growth. I only had the transplant around my edges due to traction alopecia. Has anyone else had one? I need some encouragement. And if you have pictures, can you please post? Also if you're thinking about getting a transplant, I can answer questions.

soupreem27

I'm only 6 months post op so my hair has not fully come in.

image-846611371.jpg

image-3322374969.jpg

image-1646311704.jpg

The first pic is a couple of months prior to surgery
The second pic is the day after surgery
The third pic is a couple of weeks ago

soupreem27

image-2885193041.jpg

After I cut my locs out...side view

image-1534605403.jpg

Top view

image-2005608637.jpg

Scabs still attached

image-829716149.jpg

Scabs were starting to fall off

image-321418154.jpg

About 3 months post op under laser

image-3523170804.jpg

Today (almost 6 months post op)

soupreem27

Thanx! It was only about $5000 for me. It depends on how many grafts you need/request. I only received 2500 grafts. The more grafts the more it costs.

soupreem27

No. I had issues before the locs. My edges fell out when I got my hair braided years ago at this African hair braiding salon where they braided my hair too tight.

SimJam

wow awesome results, really didnt see the full effect until I viewed the second set of pics.

and you hair looks so healthy too!!!

LightEyedMami

[USER]soupreem27[/USER] ...Thanks sooo much for this OP...I know someone who could use this, i will let them know about the procedure...I have a few questions, If a person lost their hair due to glue in weaves for several years, and even though they have been glue free for well over a year now, still has over 50% bald area, does this procedure help that?...Or Does it mean that person will never have hair again in those areas?...Also is this procedure painful?...and Is it always successful?....any other advice would be appreciated and i will be sure to pass it down!

soupreem27

Yes she can still have the procedure. They take a thin strip of scalp from the back of the head and then dissect it into what is called grafts. It will be determined at the consultation how many grafts are needed. Once they do that they take those grafts and put them into the incisions made in the donor area. Local anesthesia is used to numb the area. That's the only part that is painful. The success of the procedure depends on the Dr. and most importantly how well the patient takes care of themselves. Lots of patience is needed since the growth doesn't happen over night.

Last edited:

MaintaintheSexy

Any more updates? I'm very interested in this procedure. To the ladies who've had this procedure done how does your edges/hairline appear now?

diegorgeous

I had one exactly a year ago and it's one of the best decisions I ever made for my hair. I flew in from the UK to have it done in NY. I too suffered from traction alopecia from years of micro braids . My bf thought I was crazy and advised me against it, but I knew what I wanted.
It's a journey that requires patience. I saw the most dramatic change between months 8 - 12. It's like I went from having nothing, to hair just growing. For a long time I couldn't have my hair going all back or in a ponytail but I'm so glad those days are over. The change for me has been dramatic. Ideally I will probably want to have another one to get to the fullness I desire ( my surgeon already told me this before I had the transplant), but I'm not sure if I will still go through with it. My hair looks fine now, but I'd love more fullness though I can live with what it is right now : ). It's a long recovery period so that's part of my reason for not wanting to go through it again, ESP because surrounding hair falls off and your hairline looks bald for a while lol. I wore lace wigs and the mimi wig during that period.
Specifics : I had like 1150 grafts transplanted. I initially wanted like 1400 , but they couldn't get enough grafts from my scalp (the part they cut off). It'll be totally worth it...just be patient and try not to keep examining your hairline. I was in the mirror looking every single day and asking my bf if he can see a difference lol. It'll grow soon : ). They say that each transplant aims to restore about 30% of your original density. My doc said : )

diegorgeous

Wow you got a really good deal. I paid about $5500 for about 1150 grafts. With 2500 grafts you should see a significant difference!

MaintaintheSexy

I had one exactly a year ago and it's one of the best decisions I ever made for my hair. I flew in from the UK to have it done in NY. I too suffered from traction alopecia from years of micro braids . My bf thought I was crazy and advised me against it, but I knew what I wanted.
It's a journey that requires patience. I saw the most dramatic change between months 8 - 12. It's like I went from having nothing, to hair just growing. For a long time I couldn't have my hair going all back or in a ponytail but I'm so glad those days are over. The change for me has been dramatic. Ideally I will probably want to have another one to get to the fullness I desire ( my surgeon already told me this before I had the transplant), but I'm not sure if I will still go through with it. My hair looks fine now, but I'd love more fullness though I can live with what it is right now : ). It's a long recovery period so that's part of my reason for not wanting to go through it again, ESP because surrounding hair falls off and your hairline looks bald for a while lol. I wore lace wigs and the mimi wig during that period.
Specifics : I had like 1150 grafts transplanted. I initially wanted like 1400 , but they couldn't get enough grafts from my scalp (the part they cut off). It'll be totally worth it...just be patient and try not to keep examining your hairline. I was in the mirror looking every single day and asking my bf if he can see a difference lol. It'll grow soon : ). They say that each transplant aims to restore about 30% of your original density. My doc said : )

I was curious to know how does your scar look in the donor area? I've seen some hideous scars and I'm afraid of that lol. I have a consultation scheduled in September so I am excited and nervous about getting this procedure done.