Who here celebrates lent?

VictoriousBrownFlower

I've decided this yr to celebrate lent. I want to give up smoking and drinking for the 40 days of lent. Its going to be such a challange for me but I feel compelled to do it. God has been doing marvelous works for me and i feel i need to do this for him. Jesus sacrificed himself for us to live in peace and dignity so this is the least we can do for him. I wanted to start a challenge but I dont know how many people observe lent.

TraciChanel

I am observing Lent with my church this year. It is the first year I will be participating in Lent. Today is the first day. Are you observing with your church or just individually?

loolalooh

When I went to Catholic school, we used to celebrate it yearly. I didn't pay much attention to Lent, so my only understanding of the period was that it was a time to give up meat on Fridays. So that's all I did. No prayer. No giving up something I desire. That was it.

I want to get back to celebrating Lent this year, but I also want to incorporate more prayer, fasting, and sacrifice. I'm in the midst of learning more about what Lent entails.

VictoriousBrownFlower

I am observing Lent with my church this year. It is the first year I will be participating in Lent. Today is the first day. Are you observing with your church or just individually?
I've made a decision to observe lent on my own this yr. I just feel led to do it. It will be my first yr observing it as well. I've chosen to do it the traditional way. Fasting and only eating one meal on ash wed(today) and good friday( the sixth of apr). If you feel led do it. Do what you can do. Its just about sacrificing for Jesus the way he did us.

When I went to Catholic school, we used to celebrate it yearly. I didn't pay much attention to Lent, so my only understanding of the period was that it was a time to give up meat on Fridays. So that's all I did. No prayer. No giving up something I desire. That was it.

I want to get back to celebrating Lent this year, but I also want to incorporate more prayer, fasting, and sacrifice. I'm in the midst of learning more about what Lent entails.
Thats what I want to do as well. I want to fast and pray. This time is about getting closer to Jesus and doing what he did for us. SAcrificing. I will be praying and fasting today and on good fri. IF you feel it in your heart to do it. Do it!!!

jenny87

I think I am.....I was totally unprepared so I think I'll start tomorrow. I have to do a little more research and decide what I want to sacrifice. I was think sugar, but sugar is in almost everything! So far I am think sugar, meat, and dairy. Maybe restaurant food too?

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using LHCF

Belle Du Jour

I started Lent by going to Ash Wednesday service and have decided to give up a few things. Still fine tuning what else I may want to give up though.

VictoriousBrownFlower

I ended up smoking. I know I know I was suppose to give it up but I couldn't just go cold turkey but i will give up drinking. I've been in the word all day and I watched a bit of passion of the christ but couldnt handle it.

kila82

BronxJazzy said:
I ended up smoking. I know I know I was suppose to give it up but I couldn't just go cold turkey but i will give up drinking. I've been in the word all day and I watched a bit of passion of the christ but couldnt handle it.

It's ok girl! Just dust yourself off and try again!!

awhyley

I decided to celebrate it this year too!
I'm giving up negative thoughts and words

That's a great idea! I'm a little late, but I too think I'm going to take this on. Don't know how far I'll get, but I'll keep you guys posted.

kila82

awhyley said:
That's a great idea! I'm a little late, but I too think I'm going to take this on. Don't know how far I'll get, but I'll keep you guys posted.

I'm gonna look for a scripture to stand on to help me stay focused lol unfortunately it's easy for me to slip and say something negative smh

auparavant

We don't "celebrate" it, we "suffer" through it, every single year lol! When Friday comes and you've bitten into that egg mcmuffin and realize, in horror, that you've messed up your fast, you suddenly realize that the greater horror is that you can't even finish it. :giggle: I jest.:lachen: